Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Anything goes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anything goes So, you can't figure out where to put it? Put it here.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:28 AM   #1
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default Palm trees disappearing in LA and replaced with Oaks?

CNN thinks this is travel news. I don't know about that, but somehow, I do think replacing LA's palm trees with "native" oaks, sycamores and alike is going to be very disappointing to visitors. I know I have taken many classic LA "palm" photos, including the "required" Sunset Boulevard photo. I think history has made palm trees native to LA. It's a shame they haven't been able to combat the fungal disease aflicting the palms with so many universities in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Associated Press via CNN.com, November 15, 2006

It's official: The tall, skinny palm trees that have come to define Los Angeles will be replaced with native species as they die of old age and disease.

The City Council on Monday agreed to replace the trees with oaks, sycamores and other native species that provide more shade and are native to Los Angeles...

...The palms were brought here 100 years ago or more from Latin America and other exotic locales.

Large numbers of palms are dying of a fungal disease, and tree surgeons don't know how to stop the bacteria that gets into the soil. Because new palms will likely fall victim to the same ailment, it doesn't make sense to replace dying palms with more palms...

...Residents and business owners unable to stand the thought of Los Angeles losing its palms can still buy their own and plant them on their property.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:20 AM   #2
bodega
Travel Professional
Über Über Poster
No Avatar

Yes, this is sad. While the mighty oak is a nice tree, and I have several on our property, is doesn't have the galmour of the palm. In 1924, at age 8, when my dad arrived from NY by train into LA, he said that he thought they had arrived in heaven. The first thing he saw were the palm trees and along with the warm air, he didn't want to continue on up to Northern California.

Down by Fresno, CA, which isn't the prettiest part of CA, there are miles and miles of palms lining one of the roads. It is truely like an oasis in the desert. The palm, adds a unique style to the landscape.
bodega is offline   Reply With Quote