Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By land
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By land Renting a car? Staying at a hotel? This forum's for you.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:38 AM   #1
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally posted by Travel Weekly - September 12 2006
Divi Resorts to close property on Cayman Brac Sept. 23

The Divi Tiara Beach Resort on Cayman Brac, Cayman Islands, will close on Sept. 23, according to Mark Steward, vice president of sales and marketing for North Carolina-based Divi Resorts.

Steward said that the decision to close the property "will allow us to concentrate our efforts on expanding the Divi Resorts brand in Caribbean destinations with greater opportunities for development."

Factors such as airlift to the destination, increased competition from the growing number of niche market dive destinations in the Caribbean and weather-related issues (which have pushed up insurance costs), influenced Divi's decision to shut down its operation on Cayman Brac.

Divi Resorts currently operates eight resorts on five Caribbean islands including three in Aruba, two in Barbados and one each in Bonaire, St. Croix and St. Maarten...
Go to Divi Resorts to close property... to read the entire article.

[Travel Weekly requires free registration to read their entire articles.]

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:41 AM   #2
Kairho
No Avatar

It's about time. That place was worn out years ago.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:11 AM   #3
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kairho @ Sep 12 2006, 07:41 AM) [snapback]36827[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
It's about time. That place was worn out years ago.
[/b]
You're right. I think, in actuality, they really decided to close it years ago, when they stopped putting any money into the property to keep it in top shape. In contrast to Cayman Brac, in Aruba, they've been putting in millions in recent years to renovate their properties. At Divi Dutch Village, in my opinion, it was just in time. While the units were in good condition physically (everything worked) and had most of the amenities you would expect, it had gotten long in the tooth with a '70s look which was dark and dingy. The kitchen appliances looked out of the '70s too, before they started renovations. I haven't been back there since the renovations were completed, but expect to be back this coming spring.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:54 AM   #4
missalf
Silver Poster

Rep Power: 38 missalf rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

I'm very sorry to hear that -- we've vacationed there twice over the past few years and enjoyed the diving each time. I agree the buildings were a bit worn about the edges, but they did put a fair amount of $$ into the hotel portion about three years ago with a remodel/repaint/reoutfit operation to all the rooms.

When you go on a dive trip you're generally not after five star accommodations -- the personalization of the place is what made it enjoyable. You got to know Cliff the cook, he remembered your name and your breakfast preference. You got to know Max (The manager) on a one to one basis and he answered your questions and saw to your needs immediately. The dive crew was pretty consistent over the years and they remembered you.

I know they hadn't fully rebuilt the dock from the hurricaine (The gear shed wasn't replaced) but I had no problems with any of the other accommodations.

I will miss that place and its people