Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Anything goes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anything goes So, you can't figure out where to put it? Put it here.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:31 PM   #1
pezmanffx
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 167 pezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Recently the hubby and I (ok, mostly me) have been looking at retirement plans. I suggested that we look at buying a place in the USVI. I don't think we would live there year round, but at least for several months out of the year. So what do you guys think? Any opinions? Which island do you think would be the best?

Yes, we will have a guest bedroom available for Tripso folks.

P.S. I'm 38 and he's 31 but I thought this would be a good time to start taking action.
pezmanffx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:39 PM   #2
REDJIM
Gold Poster

Lightbulb

Don't know anything abou the USVI, pez, but do applaud you for your forward thinking. Having wealth at retirement is a great gift to give yourself.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:54 PM   #3
Kairho
No Avatar

I've been around most of the Caribbean and unless there is some major reason to be there, I would strongly look at many other places first.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:34 PM   #4
pezmanffx
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 167 pezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

We would like to stay on US soil and PR just does not appeal to us.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:31 PM   #5
deangreenhoe
Travel Professional
Super Über Poster

Rep Power: 426 deangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
We would like to stay on US soil and PR just does not appeal to us.[/b]
I'm just the opposite. The Virgin Islands are a snore for me and Puerto Rico is one of my favorite places to visit. There's such a rich cultural history and the residents have always been so welcoming. The people on St. Thomas sometimes seem to have an edge that's hard to pinpoint.
deangreenhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:35 AM   #6
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deangreenhoe @ Aug 27 2006, 12:31 AM) [snapback]35644[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I'm just the opposite. The Virgin Islands are a snore for me and Puerto Rico is one of my favorite places to visit. There's such a rich cultural history and the residents have always been so welcoming. The people on St. Thomas sometimes seem to have an edge that's hard to pinpoint.
[/b]
For me, permanently living on the islands would be incredibly boring, but that's me. I agree with you Dean about the people of St. Thomas. They do have a hard edge. But, what about St. Croix. I think the people there are entirely different than on St. Thomas. I have always found them friendly, warm, and a real pleasure to be with. I also agree with you about the citizens of Puerto Rico. In my previous life I would spend more than a month there each year on business. The Puerto Ricans, I came to know are also a hard working bunch. The climate on Puerto Rico is something else though, for me at least. The island is big enough that it really gets hot and humid. I get enough of that each summer in Philadelphia. The politics of the island I can do without, as well.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 07:51 AM   #7
deangreenhoe
Travel Professional
Super Über Poster

Rep Power: 426 deangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
The politics of the island I can do without, as well.

[/b]
Well, I'll give you that one. I was there once just previous to elections and those folks take it all quite seriously. I awoke to the sound of bullhorns and sirens blaring in the distance, there were a reported over 1 million people heading towards rallies (on a Sunday!) and it was suggested that visitors stick to their hotels for the day.

So, of course I rented a car and went "en la isla."

All the major intersections, even in the countryside, had a couple of armed military types on post and most towns of any size had the roads blocked for the rallies. However, I had the mountain roads and beaches practically to myself and the food stands were cranking out the good stuff. Maybe I'm just a foolish traveler, but I never felt the least bit threatened by it. I ended up in a great local restaurant full of families celebrating whatever it was they were doing in the town squares that day. It was like a impromptu party of sorts.

I've never been to St. Croix. I know they've had crime problems in the past, but who doesn't in U.S. territory? I could live on an island, but St. Thomas (or St. John) might be a wee bit too small for me. I think the edge we notice in the people on St. Thomas may be due to that fact...there is no way to escape the tourist hordes as there might be on a larger land mass. I know that would put me in a bad mood.

deangreenhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 08:12 AM   #8
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deangreenhoe @ Aug 27 2006, 08:51 AM) [snapback]35650[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I think the edge we notice in the people on St. Thomas may be due to that fact...there is no way to escape the tourist hordes as there might be on a larger land mass. I know that would put me in a bad mood.
[/b]
I hadn't thought about that. I think you're right. Especially when the ships are in (Are they ever not in?), the tourists are everywhere. I've even seen tourists looking into the windows of people's homes on the island. That would upset me. We don't go to St. Thomas any more.

As of the last time we were there, the beaches were gorgeous in St. Croix, Christiansted was fun (shopping, food), the golf and tennis were great, and the Buck Island Reef (US Underwater National Park) was spectacular.

Aruba has become our favorite island in the Caribbean, so it's been a number of years since we've been to St. Croix, but we've been told that crime is down, and is no higher than other islands now.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 12:17 PM   #9
bodega
Travel Professional
Über Über Poster
No Avatar

Ok, if we get to visit, I vote for St. John. A house in the same neighborhood as Kenny Chesney would be nice. It is a gated community and close to one of the best beaches in the world. Villa's of Distinction could rent it out for you during 'your' off season.

I have looked, via the internet, at almost every villa on that island. There are some places we will not stay at, so please do not get anything cheap and tacky. A nice pool, airconditioned rooms, all with ocean views, a gourmet kitchen, laundry facilities, satellite TV and a GOOD blender for my margaritas are all I need to make my visit pleasant :P

Seriously, I think getting a place that is special for you at your age would be nice. If you have kids, it will be a place where you will make memories. Then when you retire, it will be the family place that they want to visit because of those memories.

bodega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:21 AM   #10
pezmanffx
Diamond Poster

Right now, we would like to purchase a 2 bedroom condo. Just something small. Our goal would be to rent it out as much as possible and hopefully have it pay for itself. I saw a nice place on golden rock for 130k that looked promising.