Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Anything goes > Politics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2006, 10:31 PM   #1
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman conceded defeat in the state's Democratic primary. The result sets an ominous tone for other incumbents supportive of President Bush and the Iraq war.

Mr. Lieberman, who was seeking a fourth term, lost to Ned Lamont, a 52-year-old businessman with little political experience. With 89% of Connecticut precincts reporting, Mr. Lamont led with 52% of the vote, compared with 48% for Mr. Lieberman.

The Wall Street Journal reported that in exit polls it was determined many Connecticut Democrats, who turned out in record numbers for the primary vote, vented their frustration with an 18-year incumbent who many said had lost touch with the state, particularly on Iraq.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:46 PM   #2
Ships 'N' Trips Travel
Travel Professional
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 72 Ships 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first class

He's not really conceding defeat if he's planning to now run as an independent in the November general election.
Ships 'N' Trips Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #3
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ships 'N' Trips Travel @ Aug 10 2006, 02:46 PM) [snapback]34073[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
He's not really conceding defeat if he's planning to now run as an independent in the November general election.
[/b]
I can't argue with that, but if he does run it's a mistake in my opinion, and will likely split the vote enough that the Republican will get in. Howard Dean, Ted Kennedy and others have asked him to meet with them. Clearly, they're trying to talk him out of running as an independent.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
Ships 'N' Trips Travel
Travel Professional
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 72 Ships 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first class

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ned @ Aug 10 2006, 02:54 PM) [snapback]34089[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Clearly, they're trying to talk him out of running as an independent.
[/b]
I'm sure they are. But in Connecticut the Republicans and Independents make up about 2/3 of the voters. Obviously for him to win in the past, a fair chunk of those voters had to have voted for him. And if the Republican/Independent voters don't have an issue with how he has represented the state (and his stance regarding the Iraq war), they may be inclined to vote for him in the general election.

So the question is whether he can beat a marginal Republican candidate if he runs as an independent, and can he siphon off enough Democrat votes to get an overall majority.

The odds won't be in his favor (unless one or both candidates drops dead before the general election), but it will be interesting to watch...

Old 08-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #5
REDJIM
Gold Poster

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ned @ Aug 10 2006, 03:54 PM) [snapback]34089[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I can't argue with that, but if he does run it's a mistake in my opinion, and will likely split the vote enough that the Republican will get in. Howard Dean, Ted Kennedy and others have asked him to meet with them. Clearly, they're trying to talk him out of running as an independent.
[/b]
Question of the day, Ned...

Would you, or me or any other sane American, including Lieberman ever accept the advice and counsel of Howard Dean or Ted Kennedy?
Old 08-10-2006, 05:06 PM   #6
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(REDJIM @ Aug 10 2006, 04:26 PM) [snapback]34095[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Question of the day, Ned...

Would you, or me or any other sane American, including Lieberman ever accept the advice and counsel of Howard Dean or Ted Kennedy?
[/b]
NO!, especially Teddy, but Howie's not much better. Be that as it may, based on recent performance over the last couple of years, I wouldn't want Lieberman's advice either. But then again, there are many on the other side of the aisle I even think less of than those three.

But your comment is very very much true.

You should hear what my wife has to say about Teddy, no actually you shouldn't. No person should have to hear that diatribe.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:19 PM   #7
Ships 'N' Trips Travel
Travel Professional
Diamond Poster

Okay, have to relay this story.

Back when Lieberman was a VP candidate, the Democratic National Convention was in Los Angeles.

My niece was in ROTC at the time, and got tapped to be part of the color guard on one day of the convention. After finishing their color guard duties, Lieberman thanked them and shook their hands.

A couple of weeks later my niece relates this story at a family dinner. Mind you 95% of my husband's family are die-hard Republicans. My mother-in-law looks at my niece horrified, and says "did you wash your hands afterwards?" My mother-in-law was DEAD serious when she asked this. My niece and I almost wet ourselves laughing...
Old 08-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #8
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ships 'N' Trips Travel @ Aug 10 2006, 06:19 PM) [snapback]34114[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Okay, have to relay this story.

Back when Lieberman was a VP candidate, the Democratic National Convention was in Los Angeles.

My niece was in ROTC at the time, and got tapped to be part of the color guard on one day of the convention. After finishing their color guard duties, Lieberman thanked them and shook their hands.

A couple of weeks later my niece relates this story at a family dinner. Mind you 95% of my husband's family are die-hard Republicans. My mother-in-law looks at my niece horrified, and says "did you wash your hands afterwards?" My mother-in-law was DEAD serious when she asked this. My niece and I almost wet ourselves laughing...
[/b]
What a fabulous family story. I had my wife read it and I can still hear her laughing.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:44 PM   #9
glorya14
Trusted Member
No Avatar

Rep Power: 36 glorya14 rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

Now, let me see. Another plot has been unveiled! I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that Lieberman has lost the primary and the anti-war sentiment has changed. What better way to control the masses. Use scare tactics.
glorya14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:50 PM   #10
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(glorya14 @ Aug 10 2006, 07:44 PM) [snapback]34123[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Now, let me see. Another plot has been unveiled! I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that Lieberman has lost the primary and the anti-war sentiment has changed. What better way to control the masses. Use scare tactics.
[/b]
Do I detect a hint of cynicism?

Don't you think that within a few days people are going to ask with the billions spent on airport security, why aren't we safe, or at least a lot safer than we are? I also think most American still think we should not be in Iraq.