Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By land
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By land Renting a car? Staying at a hotel? This forum's for you.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
stephen_s
I hate driving
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 163 stephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/27/magazines/...tion=cnn_travel
stephen_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:21 PM   #2
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

This is a very interesting article to which Stephen has brought our attention.

The 12 travel gadgets suggested by CNN-Money via Fortune Magazine are:
1. Garmin GPSmap 60CSx handheld mapping system
2. Uniden GMR 1588-2CK two-way radios
3. Bose QuietComfort 3 noise-canceling acoustic headphones
4. Philips PET320 portable DVD player
5. Otterbox iPod case and H20 Audio waterproof headphones
6. Fujitsu LifeBook Q2010 ultraportable computer
7. Altec Lansing inMotion iM9 portable iPod speakers
8. APC UPB10 Mobile Power Pack
9. Voltaic solar-power backpack
10. Sony DCR-DVD505 Handycam video camcorder
11. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 digital camera
12. RaySat StealthRay two-way satellite antenna

After going through the list my general impression is, "What are the guys who made these choices putting up their noses." With few exceptions I think the list is greatly flawed. I'll just hit a few.

I love the Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. It's great for finding out where you are and how to proceed when you're out of your car and hiking in a National Park or walking around a city. It's lousy in the car because it's too small and too hard to use (I like PDAs equipped with TomTom software or dedicated car GPS units which use the TomTom software to get you around while in a car.). This unit will plug into my camera and attach GPS info to my photos which is another reason I like it. Even with it's flaws it's a great product.

The Uniden GMR 1588-2CK are a great idea for traveling on a ship. My wife and I always carry around two-ways while on a cruise to keep in touch with each other when we're at different activities or walking around in a port. It's much cheaper than using your cell phone out of the country.

The Bose QuietComfort 3 headsets are mediocre and the worst headsets ever produced by Bose. Not only is this gadget very much overpriced at $349, but if the proprietary lithium-ion battery runs out of juice the headset dies. Other headsets loose their noise cancelling, but still work as a headset. This is a major flaw and reason enough to never ever purchase this dog of a product.

The Philips PET320 portable DVD player has an eye tiring 3.5" square screen. When you put in a wide screen version of a DVD movie you better bring a magnifying glass or you'll be blind half way through the movie.

I love the Otterbox iPod case. It give fabulous protection to your iPod.

The Fujitsu LifeBook Q2010 ultraportable computer is truly a "portable" laptop computer. If you need to get email while on the road, or get some ball scores, or do limited word processing while on the road it's great. However, if you really need to work on the road, or actually enjoy watching a DVD, etc. this laptop is truly a "lightweight." The keyboard is too small for lots of work and so are the keys. The screen is adequate for occasional use or to run a presentation on a projector, but really tiring if you're a heavy road user and not suitable to enjoy a DVD movie, although it's better than the Philips PET320 discussed above. Personally I'll stick to laptops with 14.1" to 15" screens and full size keys with a standard keyboard layout.

I could go on, but I'd rather hear your opinions.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:08 AM   #3
Kairho
No Avatar

So where would I pack the clean underwear?
Old 08-04-2006, 07:48 AM   #4
jfrenaye
Lanoisseforp Levart
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 366 jfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
The 12 travel gadgets suggested by CNN-Money via Fortune Magazine are:
1. Garmin GPSmap 60CSx handheld mapping system
2. Uniden GMR 1588-2CK two-way radios
3. Bose QuietComfort 3 noise-canceling acoustic headphones
4. Philips PET320 portable DVD player
5. Otterbox iPod case and H20 Audio waterproof headphones
6. Fujitsu LifeBook Q2010 ultraportable computer
7. Altec Lansing inMotion iM9 portable iPod speakers
8. APC UPB10 Mobile Power Pack
9. Voltaic solar-power backpack
10. Sony DCR-DVD505 Handycam video camcorder
11. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 digital camera
12. RaySat StealthRay two-way satellite antenna[/b]
How bout the iPod to go with the case and the speakers? To be honest, my list of must haves is simple

1. iPod

2. Bose Quiet Comfort 2 noise-cancelling headphones (I will agree with the battery issue that Ned points out, but I keep a small pack of AAA in my case and all is good)

3. Ultra portable laptop only when needed

4. World phone (Motorola Razr with Cingular Service)

5. Digital camera (either my Nikon S6 point and shoot or my D70S SLR)

And with that, I have room for my underoos!

If I need a GPS that badly, I will rent a car with one.
Video--the cameras can do it and I am not a video buff
Two way radios, not really necessary. I use the old meet me here at X hour

And of course who even goes to the 7-11 withtout their trusty RaySat StealthRay two-way satellite antenna??
jfrenaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:46 AM   #5
pezmanffx
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 167 pezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

All these gadgets costs more than the vacation. What ever happened to keeping it simple.
pezmanffx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:30 AM   #6
deangreenhoe
Travel Professional
Super Über Poster

Rep Power: 427 deangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Yeah, this one is cracking me up, Pez. My arsenal of high-tech travel gizmos fit into one small pocket...my cell phone. In my mind, traveling means getting away from all that "stuff."
deangreenhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:01 AM   #7
jjjenny
Supporting Member
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 76 jjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I only bring my cell phone, too. Just like you Dean, I'm getting away from everything. And that way, I always have room for my clean underwear.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:07 AM   #8
DenaLou
Travel Professional
Silver Poster

Rep Power: 41 DenaLou is on the taxiwayDenaLou is on the taxiwayDenaLou is on the taxiwayDenaLou is on the taxiway

I don't even take my cell phone when I go on vacation. Just my digital camera. When I go, I go away.
DenaLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:11 AM   #9
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jfrenaye @ Aug 4 2006, 08:48 AM) [snapback]33300[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
...2. Bose Quiet Comfort 2 noise-cancelling headphones (I will agree with the battery issue that Ned points out, but I keep a small pack of AAA in my case and all is good)...
[/b]
John, the QuietComfort 2 and QuietComfort 3 are very different animals. You can use that AAA battery in the QuietComfort 2, but not the QuietComfort 3. The "3" uses a proprietary lithium-ion battery, ONLY. Once it dies you have 2 choices. You can recharge it (try doing that in most planes) or install a previously charged spare. Of course, a spare will cost you another $50 on top of the $350 you already paid. I think that's in the "Definitely Not Worth It" category.

The QC2 is an excellent product, but I use the "Solitude" myself (under $200), which Anita has talked about. I think it's better than the Bose, and it's less expensive, but of course, the sound is in the ear of the beholder.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:12 AM   #10
jfrenaye
Lanoisseforp Levart
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 366 jfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Come to think of it....does anyone really wear underwear on vacation?
jfrenaye is offline   Reply With Quote