Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By sea
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By sea The home port for a floating vacation.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:18 AM   #1
pezmanffx
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 167 pezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Going with the hubby on his annual work cruise. Has anyone ever been on the Century? It really doesnt look like something I would choose. Since it is free... What do you guys think?
pezmanffx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pezmanffx @ Jul 25 2006, 10:18 AM) [snapback]32489[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Going with the hubby on his annual work cruise. Has anyone ever been on the Century? It really doesnt look like something I would choose. Since it is free... What do you guys think?
[/b]
If you're talking about Celebrity's Century, I've been on its sister ship Galaxy. I enjoyed the cruise (six years ago) on Galaxy very much. It's a high quality ship in the large ship class category, which carries up to 1750 passengers. Century has just been refurbished. Century has new accommodations that include 314 new private verandas, fourteen new Sky Suites, and 174 new Concierge Class staterooms found previously only on Celebrity's larger Millennium Class ships. (My wife and I always stay in a Concierge Class stateroom) It has a new specialty restaurant, designed to showcase the cuisine of Master Chef Michel Roux, who oversees menu selection and preparation on all of Celebrity's ships.

Celebrity is my favorite cruiseline due to its combination of high quality, luxury and reasonable pricing for what you get. While I prefer Celebrity's larger ships including my favorite of the line, Summit, it's smaller ships have been excellent, and now that they are being substantially upgraded they should be of very high quality again. I have found Celebrity's service excellent too. I consider Celebrity a premium cruise line. The other cruise line my wife and I like a lot is Crystal. Their ships are smaller and some would say more intimate. I find their passengers are somewhat older than those on Celebrity. Their pricing is definitely higher.

Celebrity ships constantly rank at the top of the large ship heap in Conde Nast surveys. The lastest rankings are as follows:

1. Constellation, Celebrity
2. Millennium, Celebrity
3. Summit, Celebrity
4. Infinity, Celebrity
5. Serenade of the Seas, Royal Caribbean
6. Explorer of the Seas, Royal Caribbean
7. Galaxy, Celebrity
8. Navigator of the Seas, Royal Caribbean
9. Mercury, Celebrity
10. Radiance of the Seas, Royal Caribbean
11. Coral Princess, Princess
12. Century, Celebrity

I'll bet that Century will move up the rankings now that it's been substantially upgraded. The top 4 ships in the ranking, by the way, are all sister ships of Celebrity's Millennium Class.

Enjoy the cruise.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:27 AM   #3
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Mary, you've been on Celebrity. Have you taken a cruise on Century? Regardless, you can give Pezmanffx a heads up on Celebrity as a cruiseline too.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:55 PM   #4
cathyb
Travel Professional
No Avatar

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pezmanffx @ Jul 25 2006, 10:18 AM) [snapback]32489[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
[/b]

I was on the Century last summer to the Baltics, and while it hadn't been refurbished, and the beds needed some more comfortable mattresses, the food and service were fantastic! Take advantage of the Thallosotherapy pool (buy the week pass the first day at a discount). It's like having a massage a day, and very relaxing after a long day of walking. I would imagine that since the renovation that this ship is better than ever.
cathyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #5
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cathyb @ Aug 3 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]33249[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I was on the Century last summer to the Baltics, and while it hadn't been refurbished, and the beds needed some more comfortable mattresses, the food and service were fantastic! Take advantage of the Thallosotherapy pool (buy the week pass the first day at a discount). It's like having a massage a day, and very relaxing after a long day of walking. I would imagine that since the renovation that this ship is better than ever.
[/b]
According to Celebrity's web site the Thalassotherapy Pool is not available on Century. By the way, I agree with you that Celebrity's Thalassotherapy Pool is wonderful. On our Alaska cruise last year I spent many happy and relaxing moments in it while at sea. On Celebrity's Millennium class ships the Thalassotherapy Pool is complementary for all adult passengers.

Children are not permitted in the Thalassotherapy Pool which, to me, is one of its best attributes. Being the obnoxious person that I can be at times, especially when parents decide to stop being responsible with their children, I had a family kicked out of the Thalassotherapy Pool. The kids were running around, screaming and diving in the pool which is very dangerous to them, and the others in the pool, read that my wife, friends and me. The parents, real jerks, also had brought beverages in glasses at the side of the pool, and were drinking from the glasses while in the pool, which is strictly forbidden for obvious safety reasons. They refused to remove them, or their kids, when several of us politely asked, so I took care of it for them. I went to a ship's officer in the Aqua Spa, who immediately removed the entire family from the Thalassotherapy Pool and surrounding area. He even threatened to send them packing if they violated the rules again.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:10 PM   #6
pezmanffx
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 167 pezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

So what exactly is a Thalassotherapy Pool ?
Old 08-04-2006, 01:38 PM   #7
deangreenhoe
Travel Professional
Super Über Poster

Rep Power: 427 deangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
So what exactly is a Thalassotherapy Pool ?[/b]
Yeah, I was wondering that myself, trying to pick apart the word. So for all that pops out is "lasso" therapy (for cowboys?) or just plain "asso" therapy for, well, you know...
deangreenhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:42 PM   #8
mtp51
beegus ahoya
Über Poster

Rep Power: 209 mtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

only the mediocre are always at their best
mtp51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:47 PM   #9
pezmanffx
Diamond Poster

Is'nt the "asso" therapy pool just past the fantail?
Old 08-04-2006, 02:34 PM   #10
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pezmanffx @ Aug 4 2006, 02:10 PM) [snapback]33374[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
So what exactly is a Thalassotherapy Pool ?
[/b]
Thalasso is Greek for 'of the sea' and these pools have a special formulation of salt water and minerals. Experts say seawater speeds up the body's healing of bruises, because minerals from sea are absorbed through the skin.

To me the pool is relaxing and enjoyable.

The Celebrity cruise ship version of the Thalassotherapy Pool is somewhat like a whirlpool in that you can lie back on wide, ergonomic benches made of metal piping that were built into both sides of the pool, and float in the warm water. Water jets shoot out the water in this area of the pool. At the ends of the pool they have pipes which circulate the water so it's always in motion. You can see a photo of the pool if you go to Summit Virtual Tour, then choose, Resort Deck, AquaSpa.