Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Laugh-in
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Laugh-in Laughter makes the world go round.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:52 AM   #1
stephen_s
I hate driving
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 163 stephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/06/13/fast....tion=cnn_travel
stephen_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:31 AM   #2
deangreenhoe
Travel Professional
Super Über Poster

Rep Power: 426 deangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Well, that's kind of cool actually. There's nothing worse than a food snob. Hamburger fare wouldn't be so popular if people didn't like it.

Ever eat at the Blue Ribbon in NYC where a lot of the top chefs hang out after working in their gourmet kitchens? It's pub grub extraordinaire!

Even Julia Child was mad for McDonald's fries.
deangreenhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally posted by deangreenhoe@Jun 13 2006, 12:31 PM
Even Julia Child was mad for McDonald's fries.*
[snapback]28809[/snapback]
In an interview with Martha Smilgis of Ms. Magazine, a couple of years before she died, Ms. Child explained that while she originally liked the flavor of McDonald's fries, she no longer cared for them, since they changed the way they were cooked. In her last Larry King interview, before she died, she expressed the opinion that McDonald's could be good, but the fast food she actually liked was from In-and-Out Burger. She also said she didn't eat burgers or fries any more since her heart attack. It wasn't healthy.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:46 PM   #4
deangreenhoe
Travel Professional
Super Über Poster

Rep Power: 426 deangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
She also said she didn't eat burgers or fries any more since her heart attack. It wasn't healthy.
And I'm sure eating two sticks of butter and a quart of goose fat a day had nothing to do with her heart attack.

I miss that old gal. She was serious about her craft but not in a snooty way. She was always the first one to laugh heartily when things got out of hand in the kitchen.

However, I still have a bone to pick with her over her recipe for Turkey Orloff. I think she was halfway to the bottom of her cooking sherry the day she wrote that one.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:15 PM   #5
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally posted by deangreenhoe@Jun 13 2006, 02:46 PM
And I'm sure eating two sticks of butter and a quart of goose fat a day had nothing to do with her heart attack.*

I miss that old gal.* She was serious about her craft but not in a snooty way.* She was always the first one to laugh heartily when things got out of hand in the kitchen.

However, I still have a bone to pick with her over her recipe for Turkey Orloff.* I think she was halfway to the bottom of her cooking sherry the day she wrote that one.*
[snapback]28833[/snapback]
Maybe that day she was on her second bottle before the show started. She was wonderful, and opened up the art and science of cooking and fine dining for many in our country. I have eight of her cookbooks, and was a regular in front of the TV for "The French Chef" and "Julia Child and Company." I think, no, I know she was the person most instrumental for my enjoyment of cooking and experimenting to create new dishes.

By the time she did "Julia Child and Company," she had eschewed the classic French style and high cholesterol for a lower fat content Americanized style with a French flair.

I know people who love her Turkey Orloff, while personally I wouldn't touch it.

By the way if you want to think about trying it again....

Turkey Orloff From Julia Child and Company Pt 1
Turkey Orloff From Julia Child and Company Pt 2

I think it's the cottage cheese that turns me off more than anything else in the recipe.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:34 PM   #6
deangreenhoe
Travel Professional
Super Über Poster

Yup, I have many of her books also, Ned, including the old massive volumes of "Mastering the Art of French Cooking."

Turkey Orloff is in one of the Julia Child and Company volumes, I believe. I particularly like those because they include complimentary recipes for entire meals.

But I knew I was in trouble with Turkey Orloff when my mushroom duxelle started to resemble baby poop.

The whole ordeal took me hours and by the time it came out of the oven, even the dogs turned their noses up at it.

Something tells me that Julia would have chuckled at the whole debacle.

But I did learn a lot of good basic skills and stand-by recipes from her books and the television shows. I was a huge fan, even as a kid. My brother and I would rather watch reruns of her old PBS series than cartoons. She was fascinating.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:19 PM   #7
bravestar
Travel Professional
Über Poster

Rep Power: 102 bravestar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesbravestar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesbravestar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesbravestar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesbravestar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesbravestar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesbravestar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesbravestar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesbravestar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesbravestar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesbravestar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Y'know, people always talk about Julia Child and her PBS shows.

I feel kinda bad that I never watched her. My show was always The Frugal Gourmet, with Jeff Smith, also on PBS.

Wonder whatever happened to that guy?
Old 06-13-2006, 03:27 PM   #8
susanliber
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 105 susanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I remember watching the Galloping Gourmet with Graham Kerr.....also sloshing the wine around....
Old 06-13-2006, 04:10 PM   #9
deangreenhoe
Travel Professional
Super Über Poster

Quote:
I feel kinda bad that I never watched her. My show was always The Frugal Gourmet, with Jeff Smith, also on PBS.
Yeah, I really like that show also. His assistant (Craig I believe) was entertaining as well. They sort of disappeared off the face of the Earth.

Susan, the old galloping gourmet shows were another favorite when I was a kid. Too bad Trina had to have that heart attack and then Graham got kind of boring.

I have nothing against cooking healthy or sobriety. He was just far more funny when spilling wine all over the kitchen. :P

I imagine you've surmised by now I'm a TV Food Network freak. Shh. Don't tell anyone.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:17 PM   #10
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by susanliber@Jun 13 2006, 04:27 PM
I remember watching the Galloping Gourmet with Graham Kerr.....also sloshing the wine around....
[snapback]28850[/snapback]
For many years, Graham Kerr really battled the alcoholic demons. In 1971 he was in a terrible car accident which left him paralyzed for several weeks. He's completely recovered from that. In the mid '80s his wife had a bad heart attack. By that time he had become a recovering alcoholic and after his wife's heart attack he created his Minimax style of cooking. He did a special with Julia Child in the mid '90s and he can be periodically seen on the Discovery Channel, mostly in rerun, but occasional new shows too. In the last couple of years he had a new cookbook out which was well received.