Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By sea
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By sea The home port for a floating vacation.

Old 05-29-2006, 10:20 AM   #1
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Once again Anita Dunham-Potter has imparted really useful information through her column. In her latest article, Repeat cruising pays off she lets us in on a comparison of various cruise line loyalty program benefits.

There's one piece of information which I'd like to add about the cruise line loyalty programs of Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, which cruisers of these lines might find useful. These two programs have reciprocity.

When you reach the middle tier of Celebrity's Captain's Club (Select) you can enroll in Royal Caribbean's Crown & Anchor Society program at the Platinum Level without having ever stepped foot on one of their ships. It opens up a significant level of opportunity and service for a Celebrity cruiser who sees a great cruise to take on Royal Caribbean. Likewise, for RC Crown & Anchor Platinum members, they can enroll in Celebrity's Captain's Club at the select level.

In addition, if you've reached Celebrity's Captain's Club top Elite member level you can enroll in Royal Caribbean's Crown & Anchor Society program at its Diamond level, and vice versa.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
jfrenaye
Lanoisseforp Levart
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 366 jfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I am not sure, but I need o check, but I believe there is also reciprocity for The World's Leading Cruise Lines as well (Carnival, Seabourn, Cunard, Holland America, Costa, Princess, and one or two that I am sure I forgot)
jfrenaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:08 PM   #3
wrp96
Über Poster

Rep Power: 156 wrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Another thing I wanted to add, Royal Caribbean's benefits aren't as simple as are stated. Which level you are at isn't decided by number of cruises, but by something called cruise credits. As a result, I reached the 2nd level after 4 cruises, and the 3rd level after 7.

Also, the benefits she listed are wrong.

At the first level (Gold), you do get discounts offered on some future cruises, the cocktail party on longer cruises, and waiting in your stateroom when you get onboard is a coupon book for use onboard. The coupon book includes a coupon for a discount in the shops, a discount on a drink, on wine, a free wine tasting coupon, discount on photos, coupon to Johnny Rockets, a spa discount - the amounts of the coupons go up as your level goes up.

At the 2nd level (platinum), you get priority embarkation, waiver of the custom air fee, balcony and suite discounts on every cruise, and a special party for platinum and diamond cruisers. They no longer give out the luggage tags or lapel pins

At the 3rd level (Diamond), you get access to the Concierge lounge, plus other benefits.

They actually have more levels and the benefits go up from there.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness. -- Mark Twain
wrp96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally posted by wrp96@May 29 2006, 01:08 PM
Another thing I wanted to add, Royal Caribbean's benefits aren't as simple as are stated.* Which level you are at isn't decided by number of cruises, but by something called cruise credits.* As a result, I reached the 2nd level after 4 cruises, and the 3rd level after 7.

Also, the benefits she listed are wrong.

At the first level (Gold), you do get discounts offered on some future cruises, the cocktail party on longer cruises, and waiting in your stateroom when you get onboard is a coupon book for use onboard.* The coupon book includes a coupon for a discount in the shops, a discount on a drink, on wine, a free wine tasting coupon, discount on photos, coupon to Johnny Rockets, a spa discount - the amounts of the coupons go up as your level goes up.

At the 2nd level (platinum), you get priority embarkation, waiver of the custom air fee, balcony and suite discounts on every cruise, and a special party for platinum and diamond cruisers.* They no longer give out the luggage tags or lapel pins

At the 3rd level (Diamond), you get access to the Concierge lounge, plus other benefits.

They actually have more levels and the benefits go up from there.
[snapback]27464[/snapback]
Your right about there being more details to the loyalty program benefits, however, I think Anita was talking about the benefits in general. Royal Caribbean's Crown & Anchor Society has four levels. They are: Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Diamond Plus. You need 24 credits to reach Diamond Plus.

On Celebrity, in order to get priority embarkation and debarkation from Captain's Club (Passengers in suites and concierge class staterooms get priority or early embarkation and debarkation whether they're captain's club or not.) you either have to be in the Select or Elite levels (top 2 levels) of Captain's Club, or be a Founder Member. Celebrity Founder Members are those Captain's Club members who like my wife and I, were in the original Celebrity Captain's Club before there were different classes of members. The change occurred in Oct. 2002. You had to pay a small fee to get into the original Captain's Club, if I remember right $25, to become a member. I also remember saying it's worth it, for the priority embarkation and debarkation alone, when I joined many years ago.

Celebrity also uses a credit system like its parent Royal Caribbean. That system allows people to move up the ladder faster, essentially, if you spend more money on your cruise.

This is how it works:
1. Everyone gets one cruise credit for the cruise itself.
2. If you take a cruise with an itinerary of 12 nights or more you get another cruise credit.
3. If you book a Concierge Class stateroom or Suite you get another cruise credit.

There is a maximum credit limit of three per cruise.

So, to get to the Select Level (5 credits) you could make it in only 2 cruises, where before this credit system existed, it would take 5 cruises.

Anita's column is a good place to start to understand what advantages cruise line loyalty programs have for you, but you need to check with each cruise line to get their precise details.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:05 PM   #5
pezmanffx
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 167 pezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I'm taking a cruise with someone who is in the RCCL program. Since we are together(and legally married in canada, lol), do I get to attend the cocktail party?

Also, I get an onboard credit with RCCL for being a stockholder.
pezmanffx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:50 PM   #6
wrp96
Über Poster

Rep Power: 156 wrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally posted by pezmanffx@May 30 2006, 01:05 PM
I'm taking a cruise with someone who is in the RCCL program. Since we are together(and legally married in canada, lol), do I get to attend the cocktail party?

Also, I get an onboard credit with RCCL for being a stockholder.
[snapback]27511[/snapback]
If you are in the same cabin, then yes you get to attend the cocktail party.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness. -- Mark Twain
wrp96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:04 AM   #7
travel
Silver Poster

Rep Power: 37 travel rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

Quote:
Originally posted by jfrenaye@May 29 2006, 12:07 PM
I am not sure, but I need o check, but I believe there is also reciprocity for The World's Leading Cruise Lines as well (Carnival, Seabourn, Cunard, Holland America, Costa, Princess, and one or two that I am sure I forgot)
[snapback]27463[/snapback]
According to what they told me on my Costa cruise to Italy & Greek Isles two weeks ago, they are supposed to have reciprocity. That's how they got several of us to sign up. I hope it's true!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 06:28 PM   #8
Anita Dunham-Potter
Gold Poster

Rep Power: 43 Anita Dunham-Potter is wheels upAnita Dunham-Potter is wheels upAnita Dunham-Potter is wheels upAnita Dunham-Potter is wheels upAnita Dunham-Potter is wheels upAnita Dunham-Potter is wheels upAnita Dunham-Potter is wheels up

Hi Ned,
I am sorry, I just noticed this post. I appreciate the feedback.

Funny thing is the ONE cruise line pr person that did not get back to me for fact checking was (you guessed it) Celebrity. In fact, they NEVER get back to me on anything. Then again, I hear they do this to a lot of cruise journalists.

I fact checked with Royal Caribbean and spoke to them directly when I was on Freedom of the Seas. I do understand the reciprocity of the programs and that is another story in itself. For this particular article, I wanted to stick to the basics without confusing people. And, these programs can be confusing.

Look for a cruise line "code sharing" type article in the future!

Best,
Anita

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned@May 29 2006, 10:20 AM
Once again Anita Dunham-Potter has imparted really useful information through her column.* In her latest article, Repeat cruising pays off she lets us in on a comparison of various cruise line loyalty program benefits.

There's one piece of information which I'd like to add about the cruise line loyalty programs of Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, which cruisers of these lines might find useful.* These two programs have reciprocity.

When you reach the middle tier of Celebrity's Captain's Club (Select) you can enroll in Royal Caribbean's Crown & Anchor Society program at the Platinum Level without having ever stepped foot on one of their ships.* It opens up a significant level of opportunity and service for a Celebrity cruiser who sees a great cruise to take on Royal Caribbean.* Likewise, for RC Crown & Anchor Platinum members, they can enroll in Celebrity's Captain's Club at the select level.

In addition, if you've reached Celebrity's Captain's Club top Elite member level you can enroll in Royal Caribbean's Crown & Anchor Society program at its Diamond level, and vice versa.
[snapback]27461[/snapback]
Anita Dunham-Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:51 PM   #9
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Anita Dunham-Potter@Jun 20 2006, 07:28 PM
Look for a cruise line "code sharing" type article in the future!
[snapback]29435[/snapback]
Hi Anita,

My wife and I generally take a cruise every other year. We prefer Celebrity and Crystal at this point. I have been told by others that Celebrity ignores the press whenever possible. It's a policy which make little sense to me. A "code sharing" article should be very interesting.

Thanks.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:32 PM   #10
Anita Dunham-Potter
Gold Poster

Rep Power: 43 Anita Dunham-Potter is wheels upAnita Dunham-Potter is wheels upAnita Dunham-Potter is wheels upAnita Dunham-Potter is wheels upAnita Dunham-Potter is wheels upAnita Dunham-Potter is wheels upAnita Dunham-Potter is wheels up

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned@Jun 20 2006, 09:51 PM
Hi Anita,

My wife and I generally take a cruise every other year.* We prefer Celebrity and Crystal* at this point.* I have been told by others that Celebrity ignores the press whenever possible.* It's a policy which make little sense to me.* A "code sharing" article should be very interesting.

Thanks.
[snapback]29448[/snapback]
No doubt Celebrity has a great product for passengers; it's just a sandwich short of lunch when it comes to PR. :P

Anita
Anita Dunham-Potter is offline   Reply With Quote