Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By air
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By air Flying somewhere? Talk about it here.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:18 PM   #1
Rich G-H
Trusted Member

Rep Power: 36 Rich G-H rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

USAirways has reconfigured its web site and it has eliminated a feature that those of us with flexible schedules (i.e., retired people) found very useful. The old web site had a radio button you could check if you wanted to see all available prices for a proposed flight. For example, if you wanted to travel between BUF and JAX you only had to check "price" and the next screen would show ALL the prices for this itinerary and the dates the price was available. You only had to pick the departure and return dates and the site would show if there were seats available. I've scored some really low fares on the BUF-JAX itinerary ($78 R/T!) and was able to see other great fares to various destinations (BUF-NAS $211 R/T, BUF-DUB $450 R/T, etc.). The new site only allows you to check three days before or after and it is very time consuming to continue checking every three days. I contacted USAirways customer service via email about a week ago and still have not gotten a response. Maybe the pros at Tripso can help to show them the error of their ways.
PS. Happy birthday, Chris!
Rich G-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:40 AM   #2
john225
No Avatar

Rich, with the merger between America West and US Air, everything except the name is going to become America West, and this is the way their website is programmed.

I agree with you that the "old" way was easier to use, but if I were you I wouldn't hold my breath on them changing it back anytime soon. It's the pits, I know, but unfortunatly we're kind of at their mercy.

Maybe if you can get your friends and family etc. to start a letter writing campaign they may do something sooner or later. Good luck!
Old 05-29-2006, 08:04 AM   #3
deangreenhoe
Travel Professional
Super Über Poster

Rep Power: 427 deangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
but if I were you I wouldn't hold my breath on them changing it back anytime soon.
I agree, John. That's the first thing that ran through my mind when reading the post.

Considering that major airlines invest a lot of time and money in yield management programs that are designed to get the maximum dollar per seat out of the consumer, quite frankly I'm surprised the cheap fare search function was offered in the first place. I'm sure some airline exec (a.k.a. bean counter) suddenly noticed that consumer friendly tool and went, "Oops! We better cut THAT out."

Those features are availabe through third party vendors (both on line and traditional agents) but you'll be expected to pay at least a nominal fee at the time of purchase.
deangreenhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:48 AM   #4
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally posted by john225@May 29 2006, 08:40 AM
Rich, with the merger between America West and US Air, everything except the name is going to become America West, and this is the way their website is programmed...
[snapback]27454[/snapback]
I agree as well. Being from PHL I'm most familiar with the old US Air site, but I also used the America West site quite a bit, especially in the last 6 months. The "new" US Air site is the "old" America West site, and as it turns out is inferior in many ways to the "old" US Air site. There are some improvements, however, such as a single login. At the "old" US Air site, for example, there were separate logins for Dividend Miles and Reservations. That was silly, and now there is only one login. I think it's easier now to find information on the site, however, it takes more steps to get to some information which used to be directly available on the US Air homepage.

The new site takes the minimalist approach on the homepage, only allowing you to start to make a reservation without clicking on another tab, button or link, while other airline sites allow you to start more directly on their homepages. As comments come in we'll all see if they make changes.

While I don't think the new US Air is going to make it easier for you to find the cheapest fare any time soon, I do think the web site will evolve. Over the last few years both the old US Air and the America West sites changed a great deal. I see no reason that would change.

I will say this for the "new" US Air site, I was pleasantly surprised that the integration of the two frequent flyer programs has gone so smoothly. All my information on the new site was correct and creating my new online profile was a snap. That couldn't have been easy to program.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:16 PM   #5
Rich G-H
Trusted Member

Rep Power: 36 Rich G-H rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

I guess it goes without saying that the consumer be damned! I've enjoyed flying USAirways and in spite of what their employees have gone through I've found them usually quite professional and understanding. Obviously the web master is not so understanding.
Rich G-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
JJG
Registered Member
No Avatar

Rep Power: 0 JJG rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding
Smile

I hate the new website. The old USAir.com was great.

First, the website does not display properly in the latest Firefox or Safari web browsers. Dates in drop down boxes do not fully display and neither does the entry form for Dividend Miles #s on the home page. I was using the latest Firefox, Safari, and Mac OS X - all of which conform to the stated Mac requirements. I have tested this on other Macs, too, and it is indeed a design issue on the new site that was not prevalent on the old usair.com.

Second, the new site does not recognize the common multi-city airport codes such as "NYC" (for LGA, JFK, and EWR) or "WAS" (for BWI, DCA, and IAD). Most travel and airline websites (including the previous usair.com) will search for flights in ONE query when using either respective code. For example, on the old usair.com and using NYC for the destination, it would search LGA, EWR, and JFK all in one simple query. This saves time, for without this functionality, you have to perform THREE separate queries.

Third, the search by price feature is completely non-existent on the new site. Previously the system would give you the best fare based on a few months advance.

Also, the old site allowed an easy method to upgrade with miles or e-upgrades (e-upgrades now automatic for Preferred but still no miles option), but this is non-existent on the new site. What once could be completed in a few seconds and a few clicks, now takes several phone calls and with hold waiting time that took me over an hour and a half. Worse, at the end of the representative could not help me! This was a complete waste of my time.

Another major shortcoming to the new system is the ability of viewing held itineraries online. Previously if a reservation was held over the PHONE, you could query www.virtuallythere.com or www.usair.com with the confirmation # and print the held itinerary. This is an invaluable feature when planning business travel that must be approved by several parties prior to purchase. I was told that it was not even possible for the held reservation to be faxed to me.

I think if they receive enough feedback about revamping the old site or making some serious improvements to the new site, they actually may think about it. Send them your own suggestions here:
http://www.usair.com/awa/content/co...ationsform.aspx
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:27 PM   #7
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JJG @ Jul 19 2006, 04:29 PM) [snapback]31998[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I hate the new website. The old USAir.com was great.
[/b]
I agree with you that the site isn't nearly as good as the old US Air site. They've taken the old inferior America West site and modified it, instead of using the superior features of the old US Air site when the combined the system into one site.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JJG @ Jul 19 2006, 04:29 PM) [snapback]31998[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
First, the website does not display properly in the latest Firefox or Safari web browsers. Dates in drop down boxes do not fully display and neither does the entry form for Dividend Miles #s on the home page. I was using the latest Firefox, Safari, and Mac OS X - all of which conform to the stated Mac requirements. I have tested this on other Macs, too, and it is indeed a design issue on the new site that was not prevalent on the old usair.com.
[/b]
There is no doubt the site doesn't completely work properly with Firefox (latest version), Opera or Safari, but I haven't found the same problems you have. Dates in the drop down boxes work perfectly and fully for me. The entry form for any login, including at the top of the home page works perfectly for me and is easy to use and read. The one thing that doesn't work for me is the monthly calendar pull downs. They don't read properly and don't work at all. I only have looked at the site with my Windows XP computer.

Quote:
Second, the new site does not recognize the common multi-city airport codes such as "NYC" (for LGA, JFK, and EWR) or "WAS" (for BWI, DCA, and IAD). Most travel and airline websites (including the previous usair.com) will search for flights in ONE query when using either respective code. For example, on the old usair.com and using NYC for the destination, it would search LGA, EWR, and JFK all in one simple query. This saves time, for without this functionality, you have to perform THREE separate queries.
[/b]
I have absolutely no problem in using the common multi-city airport codes such as "NYC" or "WAS" on the new site, but more important I think they've improved on that. All you have to do is start typing the city name and choices start popping up and when you see the one you want you click on it. What could be easier?

Quote:
Third, the search by price feature is completely non-existent on the new site. Previously the system would give you the best fare based on a few months advance.
[/b]
I agree that the old system was more flexible, but how many people really looked at several months worth of dates? I don't think the current system is all that bad, but it can be and should be improved.

Quote:
Also, the old site allowed an easy method to upgrade with miles or e-upgrades (e-upgrades now automatic for Preferred but still no miles option), but this is non-existent on the new site. What once could be completed in a few seconds and a few clicks, now takes several phone calls and with hold waiting time that took me over an hour and a half. Worse, at the end of the representative could not help me! This was a complete waste of my time.
[/b]
This is where you're right on the money. Upgrades must be completed on the phone, which is ridiculous. On the old US Air site you could upgrade directly on the site. I have spoken to US Air about this, and they plan to add this feature to the site, however, they don't have any idea when they will add the feature. I am not at all saying that your phone experience didn't happen, however, it is not generally the experience I have had with US Air. I've never had to wait on hold for more than 15 minutes, even when not calling a preferred line, and the person helping me was rarely unable to complete my transaction themselves. When the rep got stuck, they were more than willing to get a supervisor within a minute or so. I will add that a couple of times the rep totally blew my reservation, but that was both before and after the merger, and I was able to get it correctly immediately with a supervisor.

Quote:
Another major shortcoming to the new system is the ability of viewing held itineraries online. Previously if a reservation was held over the PHONE, you could query www.virtuallythere.com or www.usair.com with the confirmation # and print the held itinerary. This is an invaluable feature when planning business travel that must be approved by several parties prior to purchase. I was told that it was not even possible for the held reservation to be faxed to me.
[/b]
I'm flying to Chicago next week, then back to PHL. Then I'm flying through Chicago to Des Moines at the end of next week. Both these reservations were made on the phone. I can call up, and just did call up, each of these reservations online by putting in my locator and date on the US Air site, at the Manage My Reservation page. I get a detailed view of my round trip when I do this. They don't fax reservation confirmations.

Quote:
I think if they receive enough feedback about revamping the old site or making some serious improvements to the new site, they actually may think about it. Send them your own suggestions here:
http://www.usair.com/awa/content/co...ationsform.aspx
[/b]
People should definitely complain about anything on the site they don't like. I have done this, and the more support for changes they get, the more likely they will make the change. Based on my conversations with their web people I believe they are listening.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:44 AM   #8
Arizona Road Warrior
Platinum Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 99 Arizona Road Warrior has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesArizona Road Warrior has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesArizona Road Warrior has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesArizona Road Warrior has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesArizona Road Warrior has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesArizona Road Warrior has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesArizona Road Warrior has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesArizona Road Warrior has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesArizona Road Warrior has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesArizona Road Warrior has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesArizona Road Warrior has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JJG @ Jul 19 2006, 01:29 PM) [snapback]31998[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
[/b]
You need to use the Advanced Search Feature. For example, I searched for flights between LAX and JFK and I checked 'Nearby Airports' and it returned 30 flights for both segments. In addition to LAX, the other airports included where SNA, ONT, LGB and BUR. In addition to JFK, the other airports included were LGA and EWR. It may not be the exact way that you were used to it but the end result is the same.
Arizona Road Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote