Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By air
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By air Flying somewhere? Talk about it here.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:30 PM   #1
Jason's Storm
Bronze Poster

Okay call this a stupid question, but I'm wondering what the headphones are like on American Airlines planes. Seatguru.com says you can bring your own, so are they like regular headphones? I am also wondering if I can use them on an airtran plane. Any good responce would be great.

~JS
Old 04-26-2006, 08:06 AM   #2
stephen_s
I hate driving
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 164 stephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Well, their headphones are small with the small plugs. I bring the one that I have from my discman.
stephen_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:26 PM   #3
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason's Storm@Apr 25 2006, 11:30 PM
Okay call this a stupid question, but I'm wondering what the headphones are like on American Airlines planes.* Seatguru.com says you can bring your own, so are they like regular headphones?* I am also wondering if I can use them on an airtran plane.* Any good responce would be great.:)

~JS
[snapback]25145[/snapback]
If I remember correctly, AA uses the standard headphone plug outlets unlike some airlines, such as US Air, which uses the dual plugs (EHA-18) which require a readily available adapter for you to use a headset. I haven't flown on AA for about 4 years now, but if things haven't changed, they provide smallish headsets which don't even totally cover your ears.

You can bring your own headset. Many travelers bring "noise cancelling" headsets on board with them which dramatically improve listening quality.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
rampo
Silver Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned@Apr 26 2006, 01:26 PM
If I remember correctly, AA uses the standard headphone plug outlets unlike some airlines, such as US Air, which uses the dual plugs (EHA-18)
I'm reasonably certain that you're correct - the single standard plug that you would use for an Ipod, Walkman, or most other listening devices. I don't run across the dual plugs that much anymore, but they are still some out there.
rampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:47 AM   #5
wrp96
Über Poster

Rep Power: 156 wrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

They have the plug like my walkman does. The headset is actually 2 earbuds (the kind that you slip into your ears), just like my walkman came with.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness. -- Mark Twain
wrp96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #6
travel
Silver Poster

Rep Power: 37 travel rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

I fly American all the time. iPod and other MP3 players work on their plugs. Some people have said that the don't get the sound "in stereo" when using their personal headphones, but I haven't had that problem. I see many people now with the Bose noise-cancelling headphones, and when I've asked, they've said they prefer them to all other headphones they have tried, including their iPod. I don't want to spend the money, so I continue to use my iPod headphones, which are okay. If you go to any BestBuy, Circuit City, Target, whatever, you can get an inexpensive pair that should work fine. Just look for ones that fit iPod and I know they will fit.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:49 AM   #7
ctrouth
Trusted Member

Rep Power: 35 ctrouth rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

Last time I flew American I brought my own noise cancelling earphones that I got at Target for about $30. They work with my portable DVD player and my Ipod and worked fine with the American plugs as well. The noise cancelling earphones are more comfortable than the issued earplugs and you can hear better.
ctrouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:04 AM   #8
Jeanie821
Head Nut of the Nuthouse
Silver Poster

Rep Power: 38 Jeanie821 rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

Used AA's headsets - don't like 'em. Bring your own.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:14 AM   #9
Cindy
Bronze Poster
No Avatar

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeanie821@Jun 16 2006, 11:04 AM
Used AA's headsets - don't like 'em.* Bring your own.
[snapback]29123[/snapback]

I agree..Bring your own..We also use the IPod headphones..
Cindy
Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:26 AM   #10
zpaul303
Trusted Member
No Avatar

Rep Power: 34 zpaul303 rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason's Storm@Apr 25 2006, 08:30 PM
Okay call this a stupid question, but I'm wondering what the headphones are like on American Airlines planes.* Seatguru.com says you can bring your own, so are they like regular headphones?* I am also wondering if I can use them on an airtran plane.* Any good responce would be great.

~JS
[snapback]25145[/snapback]
Not a stupid question at all - I used to fly Delta internationally all the time, and I was dismayed to find that their headphones still require the dual-prongs, while all other airlines (in my experience) including AA have gone to the single-plug. Having a comfortable pair of headphones, especially on a long-haul flight, truly can make the experience more tolerable. After my Delta experience, I carry adaptors with me all the time - just in case!

If you want a good pair of noise-cancelling headphones without the $200+ price tag from Bose, try Sony, sold in most airport Brookstone stores. They're about $70, and I find have excellent quality.
zpaul303 is offline   Reply With Quote