Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By air
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By air Flying somewhere? Talk about it here.

Old 03-16-2005, 11:14 AM   #1
james968
No Avatar

Default Which FF Program/Airline is good for Comp Upgrades

I was able to get a Comp Upgrade on British Airways. I've asked AA Gateagents about CompUpgrades, but they have told me they are 'no longer allowed' to give them.

I was wondering, if any other Airlines have good chances of getting a Comp Upgrade (or a Comp Upgrade for lower level elites)?

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." (Jack London)
james968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:23 AM   #2
jfrenaye
Lanoisseforp Levart
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 366 jfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I have heard that many international carriers allow their gate agents and ticket counter personnel to authorize complimentary upgrades at their discretion. No one will claim it exists, nor will they confirm the quantity, but I have heard that a prominent European carrier allows thexir airport personnel (as long as the space is available) 2 upgrades per person--and they are able to dole them out as they wish...cute girl...sob story...sick aunt...

THe key is to be polite, but unfortunately it seems that that word is not in the domestic carriers vocabulary.
jfrenaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 11:31 PM   #3
Brooks

I have gotten my share of upgrades on EVA as a Gold Card holder.

The last DL international flight where I got an upgrade was through knowing in advance that coach was over sold. They clearly would need to upgrade a few people, so why not the Million Miler?

I think getting an upgrade has a lot to do with being pleasant with the people at checkin and the gate.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:37 AM   #4
bazzy
Trusted Member
No Avatar

Rep Power: 37 bazzy rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding
Default comp upgrades

In today's airline world comp upgrades are almost mythical unless there is the following scenario...

Here is one for American Airlines on say a flight from Boston to Heathrow.

1. Oversold flight in coach

2. Agents working the flight would start working the list and look at coach passengers who were 1. already on the upgrade list using miles 2. Aadvantage Exectutive Platinum, Platinum and then Gold 3. Once that list is done if they still need op -ups they will then go to high fare passengers (If there is time), if not they will grap anyone to get the flight out on time.

Sure, a comp upgrade can happen, but its usually based on your status and the situation, other than that its really almost a mythical hit or miss...

Simply put, if you want the upgrade, use miles, get status and pray for overbooked flights, or approach agents and ask if they are selling any last minute upgrades...that is something that does happen and can be done for say LHR-BOS for 500 USD from time to time...

Good Luck!
bazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:29 PM   #5
makfan
Trusted Member
No Avatar

Rep Power: 37 makfan rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

Quote:
Originally posted by Brooks
The last DL international flight where I got an upgrade was through knowing in advance that coach was over sold. They clearly would need to upgrade a few people, so why not the Million Miler?

I think getting an upgrade has a lot to do with being pleasant with the people at checkin and the gate.

Airlines can always op-upgrade a passenger if space is available. Flight attendants cannot usually do this, but the gate agents on the flight can do so before departure.

Who are they most likely to pick? Someone who was rude and obnoxious or someone who was pleasant? Someone who flies 50 to 100K miles a year or someone who has a cheap coach ticket? Someone who ran up to the gate 30 seconds before departure or someone who politely asked 40 minutes or more ahead?
makfan is offline   Reply With Quote