Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By air
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By air Flying somewhere? Talk about it here.

Old 11-20-2005, 07:51 AM   #1
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

On the Continental.com web site
Continental.com Travel Club

We're pleased to introduce The Travel Club @ continental.com - your ticket to exclusive savings. For every ticket purchased at continental.com, Club members will receive $5 in their continental.com Gift Account after travel has been completed. These funds can be used to purchase travel on Continental, Continental Express or Continental Micronesia. Now through Jan. 31, 2006, new Club members will receive $25 in their continental.com Gift Account upon payment of the annual membership fee of $10.

To make sure you get the maximum benefit from your Club membership, you'll receive special e-mail messages when unique offers are made available just for Club members.

This sounds good to me, since I'm the one who does the actual purchase on quite a few tickets at Continental.com for our family trips between Newark and FL.
I don't see anything - even in the fine print - that is a drawback. Does anyone else?
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 09:04 AM   #2
weblet
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 161 weblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Just one more way to get the sheep - oops, meant loyal customers - to follow. [sigh] Airlines are so funny. Claim they can't afford to pay a sales force, but they will now pay the customer to fly them...

Not any down side that I see. Even if something came up in the future all you would have lost is $10 to try it.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:56 AM   #3
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought too.

Since Newark is our closest airport and Continental flies to Sarasota FL -
it's our most frequent airline.

I did think it strange after cutting the travel agent commission out that they are now offering a reward to the customers. It seems unnecessary. Usually the bonus miles and the price guarantee are enough to make me book through the airline site rather than one of the ticket services, even if I compare prices with others.

In looking around today I also found a new feature for those who book on the Continental.com site. You can now cancel and get your fee refunded up to 24 hours after booking on line. They had been letting you reserve for 24 hours and then confirm and pay for it, but this is even better.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally posted by tdew@Nov 20 2005, 09:51 AM
On the Continental.com web site
Continental.com Travel Club

We're pleased to introduce The Travel Club @ continental.com - your ticket to exclusive savings. For every ticket purchased at continental.com, Club members will receive $5 in their continental.com Gift Account after travel has been completed. These funds can be used to purchase travel on Continental, Continental Express or Continental Micronesia. Now through Jan. 31, 2006, new Club members will receive $25 in their continental.com Gift Account upon payment of the annual membership fee of $10.*

To make sure you get the maximum benefit from your Club membership, you'll receive special e-mail messages when unique offers are made available just for Club members.*

This sounds good to me, since I'm the one who does the actual purchase on quite a few tickets at Continental.com for our family trips between Newark and FL.
I don't see anything - even in the fine print - that is a drawback.* Does anyone else?
[snapback]13976[/snapback]
Tdew, I don't see a down side on the first year as long as you're going to travel on Continental during the year, however, there are two rules I noticed which are somewhat troubling, and enrollment is not as straight forward as it first looks.

You need a Continental OnePass account to enroll in the Travel Club program. I'll bet you already have a OnePass acount. You also need a continental.com Gift Account to receive The Travel Club credits, so if you don't have the Gift Account you'll have to have one of those too.

Now there are those two Gift Account rules I mentioned.

Rule 4 says that "A minimum of 25.00 USD deposit is required." That sounds to me like you have to put $25 into the Gift Account in order to open it. I'll bet they're not paying interest either. By the way, "Deposits made to the Gift Account are Non-Refundable." You can only use the money to buy something at Continental.

Rule 16 says that "Not combinable with OnePass rewards." That reads to me as if you use your OnePass points to upgrade your ticket to first class, you can't use the money in your Gift Account to purchase the ticket. That may or may not be meaningful to you.

All this sounds like a lot of trouble for a lot of nothing. I'd bet there's more than I haven't found. Were it me, I'd skip the whole Travel Club Program thing and call it a day. I'd have to be flying Continental a lot to give it any consideration.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:57 PM   #5
tdew
Über Poster

Hi Ned,

Thanks for looking at the offer.
Yes, I saw those possible drawbacks, but didn't consider them to be a problem.

I did the sign up. They will give you the $25 credit (to start off the gift acct.)
Of course I have the One pass acct. I don't use the miles to upgrade - we save them for family trips.

I'll have to keep track and at the end of the year post the results. I know I'll at least get back the initial $10
Old 11-20-2005, 03:13 PM   #6
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally posted by tdew@Nov 20 2005, 02:57 PM
Hi Ned,

Thanks for looking at the offer.
Yes, I saw those possible drawbacks, but didn't consider them to be a problem.

I did the sign up.* They will give you the $25 credit (to start off the gift acct.)
Of course I have the One pass acct.* I don't use the miles to upgrade - we save them for family trips.

I'll have to keep track and at the end of the year post the results.* I know I'll at least get back the initial $10
[snapback]13993[/snapback]
It was my pleasure. I hope the Travel Club works for you. I haven't used Continental in a long time. They don't do much out of Philadelphia. In fact, when I last took them it was out of Newark.

Old 11-21-2005, 06:07 PM   #7
TravelGal30
Trusted Member
No Avatar

Rep Power: 36 TravelGal30 rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

They way around the upgrade is...purchase your ticket first using your Gift Account then contact Continental to do the upgrade. The only Onepass rewards restriction is you can't use the gift account toward taxes and fees associated with reward tickets.
TravelGal30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:32 PM   #8
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelGal30@Nov 21 2005, 08:07 PM
They way around the upgrade is...purchase your ticket first using your Gift Account then contact Continental to do the upgrade.* The only Onepass rewards restriction is you can't use the gift account toward taxes and fees associated with reward tickets.
[snapback]14088[/snapback]
Why didn't I think of that. Thanks for the post.