Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By land
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By land Renting a car? Staying at a hotel? This forum's for you.

Old 10-31-2005, 08:08 AM   #1
mtp51
beegus ahoya
Über Poster

Rep Power: 209 mtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Now that Cozumel is out for my normal January getaway, I am about to make reservations at one of two places. I would be interested in any information/feedback, etc on the following properties:
Rendezvous - St. Lucia
Caneel Bay - St. John

Are there any travelers and/or travel agents with opinions??

I'll appreciate your feedback. Thanks!!

only the mediocre are always at their best
mtp51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:20 AM   #2
DCTravelAgent
Travel Professional
Über Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 137 DCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Well, you should actually call a Travel Agent and book - you have chosen two very different resorts that miles apart in terms of luxury, service, relative price/value, and ammenities. A Travel Agent can help you narrow down by getting to know you and your likes, dislikes, priorities, etc.
DCTravelAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:47 AM   #3
mtp51
beegus ahoya
Über Poster

Rep Power: 209 mtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Thanks, DC - I do have a travel agent and I was a travel agent myself for 20 years - been out of the business for 15. In any case, I just wondered if anyone had first hand knowledge of these properties. I think we're leaning toward the Rendezvous - Caneel is way pricey!

Old 10-31-2005, 08:51 AM   #4
jfrenaye
Lanoisseforp Levart
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 366 jfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I would agree. Caneel is way pricey and St. Lucia is not cheap either. If the expectation is Cozumel, you will be overwhelmed by the differences especially the price in both locales.
jfrenaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:33 AM   #5
Eileen Sellers
Travel Professional
Platinum Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 76 Eileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I've not stayed at Rendezvous but I have been to St. Lucia and I have been to St. John and Caneel Bay.

In terms of island experience, St. Lucia has a lot more to do. I personally think that St. Lucia is one of the most beautiful islands I've ever been to. The island is large, mountainous and very lush and green. The island is rich with culture, a mix of old Christian churches and voodoo. Colorful painted houses, open air markets, rain forest and volcanic parks. St. Lucia is also a "spice island" and a big exporter of cocoa and spices. The resort you are looking at is quiet, much like Caneel Bay atmosphere.

St John is also beautiful with pristine beaches. However, St John being mostly national park doesn't have an island culture like St. Lucia. Caneel Bay is beautiful and the island is great fun.

Each of your choices is a tough travel schedule. Neither one is a breeze to get to.

If you are looking for beautiful seclusion I would opt for Caneel Bay. If you are looking for beautiful seclusion with the option of sightseeing and exploring, I would opt for St. Lucia.
Eileen Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:59 AM   #6
DCTravelAgent
Travel Professional
Über Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 137 DCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Caneel is way pricey and St. Lucia is not cheap either.
Okay. Have seen both. All I will say is I don't book Rendezvous. There is a reason there is a big price differential.

Having said that - there is a "new" property on the South side of SLU (near UVF) that used to be the Club Med. I can not think of hte name - it has "Coco" in it....

I have not seen it, but did see a presentation on it. Looks good and is pricing very nicely.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:32 AM   #7
mtp51
beegus ahoya
Über Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by DCTravelAgent@Oct 31 2005, 10:59 AM
Okay.* Have seen both.* All I will say is I don't book Rendezvous.* There is a reason there is a big price differential.

Having said that - there is a "new" property on the South side of SLU (near UVF) that used to be the Club Med.* I can not think of hte name - it has "Coco" in it....

I have not seen it, but did see a presentation on it.* Looks good and is pricing very nicely.
[snapback]12482[/snapback]
Does Coconut Bay Resort & Spa ring a bell? It is south & 10 min. from Hewanorra. Or maybe Coco Palm??

Old 10-31-2005, 11:42 AM   #8
DCTravelAgent
Travel Professional
Über Poster
No Avatar

I'm hoenstly not sure......

OK. After look at some photos, it is Coconut Bay.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:12 PM   #9
Eileen Sellers
Travel Professional
Platinum Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 76 Eileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I stayed at Club Med St Lucia...(when it was Club Med) and I wouldn't go there during the winter months. The wind will kill you -- the beach becomes a sand storm. But is the good part of the island for wind surfing.
Eileen Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:12 PM   #10
DCTravelAgent
Travel Professional
Über Poster
No Avatar

That's a very good point, Eileen. I've actually never put anyone on the Southeast side there - only Southwest. Perhaps that's why it's pricing so well.

So Eileen, question for you since I don't know about this - would one think of that Southest side of St. Lucia in the way one would of the east side of Barbados? Wild and windy?