Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Anything goes > Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tech Support Got computer, Internet, or network woes? Is your smartphone not working right? Got virus or spyware problems? This is the place to get help, and give tips and advice.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
susanliber
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 105 susanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default laptop or tablet

I am going to be helping a friend pick out and learn to use a computer. She has severe rheumtoid arthritis and cannot do as the things she used to do comfortably. (she had to retire on disability because of this.) She wants to do email and some games, and most importantly - talk to her grandchildren a couple of states away!

At first I figured a nice lap top....I don't know much about tablet computers at all but then thought maybe that would be easier for someone with restricted finger mobility.

Any thoughts??

I don't know what her budget is for this but when we start to look, I want to be able to give her the best information I can. I can borrow a friends IPAD probably to show her that. She knows what a laptop is.

(she is not a computer minded person - when we worked the same shift, she would call me to help her - but she is motivated now to be busy and to be able to see and talk to her grandkids.)
Old 01-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

I would think that a tablet (iPad) should be easier overall for email, some games, browser and talking with grandchildren, than a laptop.

With the laptop she'll need to manipulate a mouse, and press in keys.

With a tablet she'll need to merely move a finger of her choice for the mouse, and only touch the screen to type. That sounds easier to me than the laptop.

Personally, I'm not a big Android fan due to its stability (or lack of it) and it's major security flaws. For many reasons, I prefer the iPad.

The rumor mill is currently running rampant that the iPad 3 will be out in March. I'd certain wait until mid February or so to purchase anything, in case that's true. There may be improvements in the "3" which would be helpful, and it should drop the price of the "2" if Apple continues to make it available, as they have done with old iPhones.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
susanliber
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 105 susanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

thanks Ned - I knew I could count on a good recommendation from you...It will take us a while to decide but in the meantime I will do some research for her.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

You're very welcome.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote