Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot topics > Consumer Travel Forum Happenings > Consumer Traveler Forums Issues & Requests
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Consumer Traveler Forums Issues & Requests Do you have a forum software problem to discuss, or have a feature feature request? Perhaps you have a idea for a new forum. If so, this is the place to discuss it.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
Annette
Moderatrix
Über Poster

Rep Power: 174 Annette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Exclamation New User registrations/problems

We have been absolutely inundated with spam user registrations lately. It looks like we're averaging over 100 of them a day, I'd estimate that in the last few weeks I've deleted about 4000 spam user registrations. Unfortunately what this means is that there's a possibility some actual user registrations might have gotten caught in that as well.

If you know someone who has tried to register and hasn't been approved, please let me know.

www.eastontours.com
Annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
susanliber
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 105 susanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

do you know there has been so much more spam lately?? I noticed all the names at the bottom....crazy....
Old 03-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
Loonbeam
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 249 Loonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

With email spam filters getting better, the new big frontier is spamming bulletin board systems.

We get over 100 per day just on our little gaming guild site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanliber View Post
do you know there has been so much more spam lately?? I noticed all the names at the bottom....crazy....
Loonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

On the bulletin boards and forums for which I'm an administrator, we've seen a major upswing in spam everywhere.

Annette, that's why they pay you the big bucks (LOL). Thank you for all your hard work. I assure you we all appreciate the time you put in here. This place would be a disaster without you.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
cooldad
Travel Professional

Rep Power: 15 cooldad is boarding the planecooldad is boarding the plane

You can adjust the settings in the registration. These are not bots, they are people being paid to gain access. And then likely a bot will spam.

Get rid of CAPTCHA in the registration and then switch to a Q+A and use several questions not just 1 that can be passed around. And make the answer something relatively challenging but not included in the question. BAD-- What is 2+4? Good--Who was the US President before Barack Obama?
cooldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
stephen_s
I hate driving
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 164 stephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Awesome idea. Unfortunately I haven't been participating that much because I work full time and we don't have full Internet access where I work. We're only limited to our intranet and maybe one or two sites we can access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldad View Post
You can adjust the settings in the registration. These are not bots, they are people being paid to gain access. And then likely a bot will spam.

Get rid of CAPTCHA in the registration and then switch to a Q+A and use several questions not just 1 that can be passed around. And make the answer something relatively challenging but not included in the question. BAD-- What is 2+4? Good--Who was the US President before Barack Obama?
stephen_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
cooldad
Travel Professional

That was not a suggestion for users, it was a suggestion to change the settings in the Admin CP settings
Old 03-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
AaronK
Platinum Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 99 AaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

cooldad, Stephen is one of the admins/moderators.

Annette, your hard work is very appreciative.
AaronK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:46 AM   #9
cooldad
Travel Professional

Well I am familiar with VB and had the same issue. Here is the solution that worked for us.

AdminCP-->VB Options-->Human Verification Manager

Uncheck CAPTCHA or other means. Select Q+A

Then create several questions that will rotate.

Key: make the questions somewhat challenging and do not include the tools for the answer in the question (What is 2+5?) Use something like "Who was the US President before Barack Obama?"

The registrations are being done by people not a bot. Then the people will hand off the registration info to the bot to spam. Hence why CAPTCHA is not working.

They aare getting paid by the registration so they are not likely to keep returning to try again if it is not so easy. And once they get in, they will simply re-register and re-register under different names.