Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By land
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By land Renting a car? Staying at a hotel? This forum's for you.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:15 AM   #1
mtp51
beegus ahoya
Über Poster

Rep Power: 209 mtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default Is There a Right Way to Spend Money When Traveling?

Good question! The buy local concept is always a first priority for me whether I'm traveling or not.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/03/13...fzAUGMrk64ngVA

only the mediocre are always at their best
mtp51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:42 AM   #2
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

It's an interesting article, but I almost didn't read it when I saw the first line...

"I’VE long considered myself a relatively generous person."

The author seemed just a bit too impressed with himself.
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
Kairho
Senior Ferroequinologist
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 419 Kairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Bargaining.

To us it's a game; to the locals it's survival. Can we not have both?

I say yes, and try to do both whenever possible. I love to haggle. Hard. Especially if I like the vendor in the first place (well presented, good product, engaging, and so on) ... I won't even start with a sourpuss. And I try to get a handle on the true price of something I want before I go in for "the kill." So I can almost know what the vendor's cost is.

Then I will bargain hard. Always smiling and playing the game. It is not difficult to see when the limits have been reached, the vendor's personality changes, they stand firmer and begin to lose interest. But I've already decided on a fair price for both of us and regardless of the outcome of the haggling, that's what is paid.

I often get astonished looks when I refuse the change (always have the exact money already counted out and in a pocket) which quickly turn to broad smiles and laughs when I explain the extra is "for the game." We become best friends for a few minutes and then life continues, each gaining respect for the other.
Religion limits civil liberties for imaginary reasons. The surest way to lose many of our cherished civil liberties is to end the separation of church and state and let religious leaders determine the rules. --David Drumm
Kairho is offline   Reply With Quote