Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Destination tips > United States, Canada, and Arctic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
Omlette
No Avatar

Rep Power: 33 Omlette is able to use approved electonic devicesOmlette is able to use approved electonic devicesOmlette is able to use approved electonic devicesOmlette is able to use approved electonic devicesOmlette is able to use approved electonic devicesOmlette is able to use approved electonic devicesOmlette is able to use approved electonic devicesOmlette is able to use approved electonic devicesOmlette is able to use approved electonic devicesOmlette is able to use approved electonic devices
Default Denton, TX - Any suggestions?

It looks like I'll be spending some time in Denton for business in the next few months, nothing firm yet, but I was hoping to get hear any recommendations people have for hotels, restaurants, or any sights that might be worth seeing in the area.

I've spent time in Dallas before, but I doubt I'll have time to make the trip into to Dallas

Last edited by Omlette; 02-08-2010 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Font Issues
Omlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

I've only been to Denton once.

I don't know its name, nor if it's still there, but there was a great old fashioned soda fountain there. They had great ice cream, sandwiches, waffle cones, sundaes, splits, shakes and more, plus an old wonderful jukebox. I think it had a woman's name in the title.

I do remember the name of the restaurant I had dinner in; Metzler's. They had all kinds of fare. I had barbecue which was pretty good.

I was put up in the Hampton Inn. It was fine, and from what I saw at the time (4 years ago) the best place there.

I didn't have much time there, but I did go to the Denton County Historical Museum. It won't take a great deal of time to go through it, but I found it very interesting.

Being a northerner from a big city I did get eyed there, but I found people "willing to overlook that" (LOL). Actually, they were quite friendly.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Omlette
No Avatar

Rep Power: 33 Omlette is able to use approved electonic devicesOmlette is able to use approved electonic devicesOmlette is able to use approved electonic devicesOmlette is able to use approved electonic devicesOmlette is able to use approved electonic devicesOmlette is able to use approved electonic devicesOmlette is able to use approved electonic devicesOmlette is able to use approved electonic devicesOmlette is able to use approved electonic devicesOmlette is able to use approved electonic devices

Thanks

I've been asking my contacts there for suggestions, sadly when I asked if there were any good restaurants they responded by listing off an endless number of chain restaurants.

If this works out, I could become quite the expert on Denton, at least 2 weeks this spring and talk of more to come.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Kairho
Senior Ferroequinologist
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 419 Kairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Yup, don't fergit the Olive Gardin. Y'all get them up north?
Religion limits civil liberties for imaginary reasons. The surest way to lose many of our cherished civil liberties is to end the separation of church and state and let religious leaders determine the rules. --David Drumm
Kairho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
AaronK
Platinum Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 99 AaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

It is my experience that if the locals recommend the chain places, might be a good idea to stick to them.

Unless of course there is a BBQ joint in town.
AaronK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
Gesualdo
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 111 Gesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Denton is full of chains and not a lot else in my experience. You want something else interesting, you gotta ask the college students. I know there were a couple of interesting gatherings planned for my group when I was just getting started on my graduate work, but I didn't participate in any of that because I always stayed with family when I visited.

But let me ask some of my contacts in the area. I've got a couple of colleagues that work at U. of N. Tx. I'll get back to ya if I get anything good.
Gesualdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #7
Omlette
No Avatar

Thanks

I figure when I am there I'll start asking about BBQ, I love watching people argue over the best place, and of course trying all of them to decide for myself.

Of course being from NYC, it's all good BBQ compared to here.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omlette View Post
Thanks

Of course being from NYC, it's all good BBQ compared to here.
Growing up in Brooklyn - when we went to Long Island and had a barbeque - it was hamburgers and hotdogs cooked on the grill.
Actually, for me, it still is.
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #9
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

I'm with you on this, but when people in Texas, and the central part of the US say barbecue, I understand what that means.

Growing up in the Philadelphia area, when we went to a barbecue it was like yours, hamburgers, hotdogs, and chicken parts on a charcoal grill. The buns also went on the grill. If it was a special barbecue we would put a roast or a whole chicken on a spit over the fire and charcoal roast it.

I'll never forget a Boy Scout Jamboree we once went to at Valley Forge National Park (It was a state park then.). Our troop had about 80 in it. While our troop leaders were great, they also didn't like to do drudgery work. They also liked their comforts while we camped out. We were in pup tents (on air mattresses) in our sleeping bags. They were in walled tents, the kind you see for officers in WWII movies with sidewalls and flaps. They had cots for their sleeping bags, etc. They also had electric lights in their tents, run by a gasoline powered generator with a silencer they designed. It was very quiet and they turned it off at 10pm, anyway.

For dinner they rigged a spit over a charcoal fire that they kept going for hours, and put a geared electric motor to turn the spit slowly. The generator supplied the electricity for the motor which ran the spit. They put several big chickens and a roast on it and slow grilled it. Those dinners were amazing. These guys knew how to cook.

Oh, did I forget to tell you they also plugged in an electric fan to blow the cooking smoke away from their tents, and of course, plugged in a portable TV so whoever was cooking could watch the college football games while there. Somehow I don't think that Robert Baden-Powell every envisioned electric spits, fans, lights in tents, and TV for Scout camping trips, but our guys did.

Some Scout leaders were horrified when they saw it, and wanted our leaders to remove it at once saying it wasn't "Scouting!!!" Others wanted a copy of the silencer design for the generator so they could have one when they took the kids camping. They either hated it or loved it. There was no middle ground.

Around our house we have a gas fired grill piped directly into the house's gas pipes. We grill all year round; roasts, chicken, steak, duck, hamburgers, hotdogs, butterflied leg of lamb, kabobs, shrimp, salmon, various other fish, vegetables, and a few other items. On some we use "barbecue sauce" on some other sauces, or marinades.

We don't call it barbecuing like we did as kids though. Now it's just grilling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdew View Post
Growing up in Brooklyn - when we went to Long Island and had a barbeque - it was hamburgers and hotdogs cooked on the grill.
Actually, for me, it still is.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
katroa
Travel Professional
Gold Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 58 katroa has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classkatroa has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classkatroa has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classkatroa has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classkatroa has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classkatroa has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classkatroa has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classkatroa has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classkatroa has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classkatroa has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classkatroa has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first class

DENTON!..My neck of the woods...We lived just south of there for 10 years.

There is a BBQ place called Hickory Creek BBQ (south on 35...) that is good..place called Babes for Fried Chicken (outskirts of Denton). I'm not sure of local local places. They do have alot of chain places near the mall. If you mosey down to FM407 in Highland Village/Lewisville there are all kinds of local establishments.

University of North Texas is famous for their 1 o'clock Lab Band. They have performed worldwide. UNT has a top notch music school..might check inot performances of any kind while in town.

Don't know how busy you want to be..or how much free time you have..but sounds fun. I miss living there.

There is a Holiday Inn/Hampton inn..used to be another one like the Radisson, too. Not sure anymore.
katroa is offline   Reply With Quote