Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Anything goes > Books
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Books Read a good book recently? Travelers are always looking for good books to enjoy on vacation, on the beach, enjoying the breezes on the veranda, or on that long flight. Give us your recommendation and a review.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
susanliber
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 105 susanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default non fiction

I have been on a non-fiction binge.

I just finished "MY LOBOTOMY" by Howard Dully. This is a memoir written by a survivor of Dr Freeman's transorbital lobotomy procedure that was done when he was 12 years old. I was in the book store to get something else entirely and this book "called" me. I read it in 2 days. It is not very long...it is written in the first person by Howard.

I am nearly finished with "TREBLINKA". This is an account of the revolt of the prisoners there. It reads like a suspense novel, even though you know what the outcome is.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
Kairho
Senior Ferroequinologist
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 419 Kairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

What I am reading: link.
Religion limits civil liberties for imaginary reasons. The surest way to lose many of our cherished civil liberties is to end the separation of church and state and let religious leaders determine the rules. --David Drumm
Kairho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:07 AM   #3
Gesualdo
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 111 Gesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

No wonder you couldn't post it here. Bwahahaha! I'm into Craig Ferguson's autobiography right now. It's interesting so far.
Gesualdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
vacationagent
Supporting Member
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 124 vacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Somehow I doubt that Kairo is really reading The Romance of Proctology.

I just recently read The Big Rich. It is the story of 4 of the Texas oil families since the turn of the 20th Century up until present day. It was very interesting - great bios about H L Hunt, Roy Cullen, Clint Murchison, and Sid Richardson. The writer is Brian Burrough and he must have read every book, newspaper article, or magazine article ever written about the oil business. I enjoyed the book.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
rampo
Silver Poster

I'm midway through Daniel Okrent's Last Call: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition and am loving it. It's an informative account of that bizarre period of social experimentation and is written in an accessible and highly entertaining style.
rampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
Gesualdo
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 111 Gesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

My latest is "Stop Getting Ripped Off" by Bob Sullivan. Interesting and sometimes unusual strategies for avoiding hidden and unfair fees in every area of your life. I'm only into the second chapter and have already learned a lot.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #7
pezmanffx
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 167 pezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I'm reading "the fundamentals of federal tax accounting" . Good times, good times.
pezmanffx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
Gesualdo
Platinum Poster

skznxxxxxxxxxx....
Old 09-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
NW CTC
Travel Professional
Diamond Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 78 NW CTC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNW CTC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNW CTC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNW CTC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNW CTC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNW CTC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNW CTC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNW CTC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNW CTC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNW CTC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNW CTC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampo View Post
I'm midway through Daniel Okrent's Last Call: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition and am loving it. It's an informative account of that bizarre period of social experimentation and is written in an accessible and highly entertaining style.
This is on my list, too.

I've just finished Operation Mincemeat, the story behind The Man Who Never Was. It's an excellent read and provided a good deal of insight into lesser known aspects of WWII history. If you've read Cryptonomicron you'll recognize a number of its subplots. Now I want to follow up on the footnotes to Mincemeat and check out some of the source materials.
NW CTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #10
vacationagent
Supporting Member
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 124 vacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I just finished Andrew Young's scathing portrait of John and Elizabeth Edwards in his book The Politician. I had resisted the book when it came out because I liked John Edwards and didn't really want to believe the negative press about him. Anyhoosie, I was at the bookstore the other night and saw it in paperback and decided to buy it. It did NOT restore my faith in John Edwards and in fact the book portrayed both him and his wife in the most unflattering way. He was - according to the author who was his right-hand man for several years - a narcissist and power hungry and totally impressed with himself and not very familiar with the truth; his wife was even worse. Everthing that was in the tabloids and more was true according to Andrew Young.

My brother happened to be at my house for dinner one night this week and saw the book on the kitchen counter. He has a bs-o-meter that spins when it comes to politicians and said he had John Edwards pegged as a narcissist from the beginning.