Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Anything goes > Books
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Books Read a good book recently? Travelers are always looking for good books to enjoy on vacation, on the beach, enjoying the breezes on the veranda, or on that long flight. Give us your recommendation and a review.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
Gesualdo
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 111 Gesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default Book: Fletch by Gregory McDonald

Maybe you saw the movie. Forget that. Okay, I loved Chevy Chase as Fletch, but as all books vs. movies go, read the book. It's better. Better than that, it's worth it.

As you probably know, Fletch is an investigative news reporter in California, working on a drugs-on-the-beach story, when he is approached by one Alan Stanwyk, age 29 (I think...some investigative reporter I'd be) and asked "will you murder me?" Well, folks, the story is NOT in Utah, as the movie goes. And as it turns out, Mr. Stanwyk is not a bigamist. Nor is he connected to the police chief. Now, wouldn't you like to know exactly what he IS doing when he visits his parents every six weeks in his private plane, stays in town the whole weekend, but only sees his parents for breakfast and spends the rest of the time on the phone? Or why his parents have never met his wife? And what exactly IS up with the police chief? Enquiring minds want to know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fletch Cover.jpg (25.9 KB, 0 views)
Gesualdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
vacationagent
Supporting Member
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 123 vacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I love Fletch! But I didn't care for the Fletch movies at all. It was my feeling that Chevy Chase made a goofball out of Fletch. I've read them all - and loved both Fletch and Flynn. The books are much much better than the films, IMO.

I haven't read them in years, though. Have they been reissued?
Old 11-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
Gesualdo
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 111 Gesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

They have been reissued, but I'm not sure exactly when. The covers aren't at all what I remember.

I didn't like Flynn. I think I got ticked off because when they introduced his character in Carioca, Fletch, the author made Fletch stupid in order to give Flynn some more meat in his character. Fletch missed some obvious clues he would never miss in any other book. I didn't even miss them, and I've long been oblivious to these things. Or maybe that just chalks one up to Sarah Paretsky's writing on the V.I. Warshawski novels that I finally noticed something.

Movies, though? Were there more than one? You know that monstrosity where he inherits a mansion in the south doesn't count, right? LOL I had actually completely forgotten about it because it has no basis in any of the books, I don't think. It's been forever since I read all of them, so I'm working through them again. I'm at the halfway mark.

They've got a third movie in the works, but they're supposedly going back to the books. I'm sincerely hoping it will be true to the character, and since Chevy Chase is, sadly (IMO), too old to play him anymore, I'm sincerely hoping they'll find the right man for the job. They had been planning it for Zach Braff but he dropped out - thank goodness. I love Zach Braff, but I think that would have been a disaster. The hubby and I have been tossing around names for about a year. We think Joel McHale, who is working with Chevy Chase on Community, might just be perfect for the job, although Matthew Perry has, so I've heard, expressed interest. And frankly, he might also be just as perfect. And then, I might just be biased because Matthew Perry is one of my favorite actors. But I don't think that's the bias talking.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
Gesualdo
Platinum Poster

Excuse me...not Carioca Fletch. Confess, Fletch.