Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Anything goes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anything goes So, you can't figure out where to put it? Put it here.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
John225
Not Allowed To Be Unique
Über Poster

Rep Power: 115 John225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default Family Trees

Don't know if any of you have ever researched your family tree, or even had the desire to, but my recent health issues was the impetus for me to do mine. There were 2 cousins that had been "long and lost", and the last contact information that anyone had for them was about 10 years old.

Well, this morning I got determined that I was going to find them, and I have! I am so excited about this. I spent over an hour on the phone with one of them, and the other I was able to talk with her husband, since she was at work.

It's an amazing feeling to find family that I never thought I'd hear from or speak to again. We're already talking about a family reunion.

John225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

That's great, John. I know there are a few of us on here who long ago realized how rewarding the family history can be. Each discovery and re-connection is wonderful.
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
mtp51
beegus ahoya
Über Poster

Rep Power: 209 mtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

That's awesome! Your future looks bright!

only the mediocre are always at their best
mtp51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
bodega
Travel Professional
Über Über Poster
No Avatar

That is great John! I have been into my family tree and shaking the branches for many years to find family members. I have met many 'new' family and talked to others that we all just lost touch with. What do you have to lose by contacting them? So far it has been wonderful and I am sure your visits will be too!
bodega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
pezmanffx
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 167 pezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Thats awesome. I've been doing the same thing for a while but I cant seem to get the "Ohio" branch of the family to get involved. They dont like to talk to anyone with an income under 6 figures and who isnt a charismatic christian. Its sad since many on that side have never met the majority of us.

Now if I can just find that rumored cousin I have in California that misplaced a gold mine....
pezmanffx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

We've traced my family to the 1200's in Germany and my wife's to the 1300's in the Ukraine. I seem to have to links, but haven't been able to verify them to the Middle East about 400 years earlier. Maybe some day I'll be able to get some definitive information. Much of what we got for me was from the Nazi records uncovered and made available through the Jewish Historical Documentation Center in Linz, Austria as my entire family left in Europe after 1939 didn't make it. My brother, who died a while back started the search and accumulated a massive amount of data on the family which several of us have since expanded upon.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #7
Gesualdo
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 111 Gesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

The people who sometimes come into the library to search for information constantly amaze me on what kind of information they're looking for and where exactly they're looking for it. Since we're not a public library, we're generally not the first place people go looking. But we have really comprehensive news records dating back to the late 19th century, so we get a few hunters. It always makes me thinking about starting a search of my own, but who has that kind of time? I'm doing good just to get through my jazz concert tomorrow night.

Good luck digging up all the information. Sometimes it's a lot of fun to meet long-long family.
Gesualdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #8
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Question

Who did you see tonight and how was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesualdo View Post
The people who sometimes come into the library to search for information constantly amaze me on what kind of information they're looking for and where exactly they're looking for it. Since we're not a public library, we're generally not the first place people go looking. But we have really comprehensive news records dating back to the late 19th century, so we get a few hunters. It always makes me thinking about starting a search of my own, but who has that kind of time? I'm doing good just to get through my jazz concert tomorrow night.

Good luck digging up all the information. Sometimes it's a lot of fun to meet long-long family.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:36 AM   #9
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesualdo View Post
It always makes me thinking about starting a search of my own, but who has that kind of time?
Gesualdo, I've been at it for more than 25 years, so it definitely takes up some of your time. One of the big benefits though is that when I find the specific place where our immigrants came from - I HAVE to go there.
Lots of good trips have resulted from this need.
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #10
John225
Not Allowed To Be Unique
Über Poster

Rep Power: 115 John225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Over the weekend, I found 2 more people that we have been looking for. This is getting really exciting. Tomorrow I am headed up to Mississippi where my mother was from to do some more research. The county that she was from has a very active geanological society, and houses their own collection of research at the local library there.

I'm not so much doing this to go way, way back in history, but doing it to get more of a sense of who I am. I was born way late in my parents lives, and only heard stories growing up. The people who knew my grandparents and great grandparents are few and far between now, and I want to get to know them before it's too late. Not too many left to ask questions to, and my health issues and the death of my sister this year have really put a fire under me.
John225 is offline   Reply With Quote