Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Anything goes > Politics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
TPARick
Travel Professional
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 206 TPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default Proposed Healthcare Reform Legislation

Congressman John Fleming ( Louisiana physician) has proposed an amendment that would require congressmen and senators to take the same healthcare plan they force on us (under proposed legislation they are curiously exempt). Congressman Fleming is encouraging people to go on his Website and sign his petition (very simple - just first, last and email). I have immediately done just that at: http://fleming.house.gov/ . Please urge as many people as you can to do the same! If Congress forces this on the American people, the Congressmen should have to accept the same level of health care for themselves and their families just like those of us who pay their salaries.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
TPARick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I've never been a believer in on line petitions, but went to look at the page and found a message saying that there were too many people accessing it - please try later.
I don't have a doubt at all that this would be a popular program with all voters.
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
rampo
Silver Poster

It should be noted that while Fleming is railing against the government being involved in health care, his (and the rest of congress') current health plan IS provided by the government.
rampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
jjjenny
Supporting Member
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 76 jjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I did it, but, it took awhile to get on the website.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
bodega
Travel Professional
Über Über Poster
No Avatar

I couldn't get the information to load so I am questioning what I read on the Senator's website. He is asking for us to sign a petition requesting that members of Congress sign up for the same plan as we would be offered? Why are they not included to begin with?

I haven't read the bill and from the news reports the bill is inches thick with pages, which is ridiculous right off the bat! I have been on vacation so I haven't taken time to research this, so is the proposed plan not for every US citizen?
bodega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
jfrenaye
Lanoisseforp Levart
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 366 jfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

You can download the doc from his site. Apparently Congress (and presumably others in the executive, legislative and judicial branches) are exempt from the bill and will have their own.

I am not sure if this is a "petition" per se but rather a strong argument he can make to his colleagues in the House..."look, on my website, I asked and X million people...
jfrenaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
bodega
Travel Professional
Über Über Poster
No Avatar

I can't find the information I want online. According to AARP 94% of the citizens younger than 65 would be covered in the new health plan. So besides Congress, who else isn't covered? Military?

Why would this not be across the board?
Old 07-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodega View Post
Why are they not included to begin with?
Bodega, didn't you get the email that's been circulating for the last few years about the extensive plan they have for themselves? It's one that we were all supposed to forward to everyone we know...
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #9
TPARick
Travel Professional
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 206 TPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

http://public-healthcare-issues.suit...he_us_congress

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
TPARick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #10
bodega
Travel Professional
Über Über Poster
No Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdew View Post
Bodega, didn't you get the email that's been circulating for the last few years about the extensive plan they have for themselves? It's one that we were all supposed to forward to everyone we know...
Oh I know they have a great plan. What I don't know is why they are still excluding themselves under the new plan for all of us? Who else is part of that 6%? I have never been a fan of speical treatment and when those making the laws have their own set of rules and the rest of us another, nothing will improve!