Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By air
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By air Flying somewhere? Talk about it here.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
wrp96
‹ber Poster

Rep Power: 156 wrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default American to test fuel saving measures including use of GPS this week

Very timely event (and sort of coincides with some things Ned said in his article today) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31168630/ American will test the use of GPS technology this week on a Paris to Miami flight - both as a fuel savings test and a test of a new navigation system for the FAA. Instead of flying the usual jetliner channels, the plane will take a direct route between Paris and Miami.

They will also use direct ascent and descent instead of a gradual method - again as a fuel savings test.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness. -- Mark Twain
wrp96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #2
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper ‹ber Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

I think once these tests, and others schedule all summer long are complete, the airlines and various travel associations are going to be pushing Congress like crazy to put the measily $34B in the budget over the next 5-7 years and get the GPS system installed and running by 2016 at the latest, instead of 2025. I think the airlines will have a convincing argument for Congress too, their sizable investment in outfitting their planes and centers to run on the new system.

By the way, if you haven't read my new column, Air France flight 447: Why aren’t we using existing technology to make a difference? you might find it interesting.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
wrp96
‹ber Poster

Rep Power: 156 wrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
By the way, if you haven't read my new column, Air France flight 447: Why arenít we using existing technology to make a difference? you might find it interesting.

I left a note there first before coming here.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness. -- Mark Twain
wrp96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper ‹ber Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

I meant our other members, and thanks for your comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
I left a note there first before coming here.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]

Last edited by Ned; 06-08-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote