Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By air
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By air Flying somewhere? Talk about it here.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Exclamation Southwest Airlines Plane on Fire at Landing

A Southwest Airlines plane at Houston's Hobby Airport today caught on fire after landing, forcing passengers to evacuate. It looks as though the brakes locked and a wheel on the right landing gear caught on fire from the skid.

Take a look at the video. You'll see one jacka$$ threw his brief case down the ramp before he went down and it opened up. Then he started to run after some of the papers.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...lane.fire.ktrk

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
wrp96
Über Poster

Rep Power: 156 wrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Ned, I noticed numerous people went down with their carryons in their hands. But that idiot was especially noteworthy.

It surprised me how long it took before they began evacuating that plane. I counted at least 2 full minutes after the plane came to a complete stop. I wonder how long it took to realize the plane was on fire.

Also, it occurred to me that the flight attendant wearing shorts was probably highly regretting her decision to opt for shorts instead of pants for that flight.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness. -- Mark Twain
wrp96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
bodega
Travel Professional
Über Über Poster
No Avatar

Did you see that the man who threw his briefcase down first, then slid down, also sat at the end of the slide while he collected his stuff. Idiot!
bodega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:47 AM   #4
pezmanffx
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 167 pezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Ok, I think is should be a felony to bring a carry-on during an evacuation and should be announced as such during the safety briefing. This is just plain reckless endangerment.
pezmanffx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:58 AM   #5
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

P-man, they do announce that you should leave everything in the plane, except your coat or jacket if it's cold outside, if you have to evacuate. Some people don't understand how important it is.

Personally, I think they should briefly, no make that "very briefly," explain why you should do that, when they make that announcement. They don't, and I think if people understood why, it would make a difference.

I can tell you that my camera will be around my neck if I ever have to evacuate again. There is no way I'm going to miss the opportunity to get photos of the accident and evacuation if I can do it. Hell, I could get a Pulitzer Prize, well maybe at least a big pat on the back anyway, but I can dream, can't I?

During cold weather, I always keep my coat or jacket in my lap during takeoff and landing, as a precaution. If the plane does go down, I don't want to survive a crash, only to die of exposure, or hypothermia. I also keep my camera in the seat pocket in front of me, so that once we're down I can grab that Pulitzer.

Seriously, I could get some amazing shots that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezmanffx View Post
Ok, I think is should be a felony to bring a carry-on during an evacuation and should be announced as such during the safety briefing. This is just plain reckless endangerment.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
jfrenaye
Lanoisseforp Levart
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 366 jfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
I can tell you that my camera will be around my neck if I ever have to evacuate again. There is no way I'm going to miss the opportunity to get photos of the accident and evacuation if I can do it. Hell, I could get a Pulitzer Prize, well maybe at least a big pat on the back anyway, but I can dream, can't I?
Or a payoff to either release the photos to a tabloid or not to release them!
jfrenaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:14 AM   #7
IslandGirl
Travel Consultant
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 88 IslandGirl has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesIslandGirl has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesIslandGirl has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesIslandGirl has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesIslandGirl has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesIslandGirl has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesIslandGirl has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesIslandGirl has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesIslandGirl has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesIslandGirl has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesIslandGirl has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

We had a fire in our old house it was struck by lightening. I grabbed the kids, dogs and was dialing 911 as I was calmly exiting. The last thing on my mind was possessions. Our lives came first. They tell you in the event of an emergency to leave your belongings. I can't believe these people.

As to the flight attendant wearing shorts remember the United crash in Iowa? One of the flight attendant's hose was melted into her legs. Polyester pants would do the same thing.
IslandGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Arrow

You are exactly right about clothing.

In my Tripso column last week, What are the odds of my plane crashing? I discussed what clothing to wear when flying.

Quote:
Wear the right clothing to fly. Wear a good pair of shoes or leather sneakers, never sandals or flip-flops. For women, wearing high heels may make an airborne fashion statement, but you don’t want to be wearing them in case of an emergency exit from a plane. Sandals or “heels” make it hard to move quickly within wreckage.

I wear long pants and long sleeved shirts, made with natural fibers (synthetics or high synthetic content blends can melt on your skin in a fire, causing serious and even fatal wounds) to protect my skin from the possibility of intense heat and fire, but more importantly, to be honest, to help me slide down the wing of an aircraft or emergency slide. Experience has taught me going down that slide can hurt.
My column this week, Air crash survival secrets your airline may not tell you follows up last weeks article and completes the 2 part series about what passengers can do in the unlikely case of being involved in an airplane accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl View Post
We had a fire in our old house it was struck by lightening. I grabbed the kids, dogs and was dialing 911 as I was calmly exiting. The last thing on my mind was possessions. Our lives came first. They tell you in the event of an emergency to leave your belongings. I can't believe these people.

As to the flight attendant wearing shorts remember the United crash in Iowa? The one flight attendant's hose were melted into her legs? Polyester pants would do the same thing.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #9
katroa
Travel Professional
Gold Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 58 katroa has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classkatroa has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classkatroa has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classkatroa has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classkatroa has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classkatroa has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classkatroa has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classkatroa has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classkatroa has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classkatroa has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classkatroa has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first class

Not only did he throw his briefcase down first, he sat on the end of the slide while he gathered the papers together. I was waiting for another person to come down and kick him out of the way.
katroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #10
pezmanffx
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 167 pezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Ned I know they announce it but I think it should be a criminal offense with jail time.
pezmanffx is offline   Reply With Quote