Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Anything goes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anything goes So, you can't figure out where to put it? Put it here.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
susanliber
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 105 susanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default virus question

to our resident computer experts....is there any thing behind this "conflicker" virus that may or may not attack tomorrow??
Old 03-31-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
Gesualdo
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 111 Gesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Since it's kinda late in the day, I'll go ahead and weigh in even though I'm not a computer "expert." I'm more like a computer "intermediate."

There's definitely something to it. Just make sure your anti-virus software and your operating system are up to date. Plus any programs you use regularly. You'll probably be fine. This thing has a nasty habit of disabling anti-virus software, I've heard, so watch out for that.

I've also read that it may already be on some computers, dormant, and will activate tomorrow. The big deal with this particular virus, I think, is how widespread it's supposed to be in comparison with past viruses.

Last edited by Gesualdo; 03-31-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Gesualdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
mtp51
beegus ahoya
Über Poster

Rep Power: 209 mtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I believe it is a real threat but experts question the severity. You can read more here:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-102...?tag=mncol;txt

only the mediocre are always at their best
mtp51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
jfrenaye
Lanoisseforp Levart
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 366 jfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I am not a computer expert and I don't even play one on TV. But my opinion is that a lot of these IT things are always blown out of proportion--anyone remember the end of the world at 1201am on 1/1/2000?

With that said, I do think you need to be up to date on your virus definitions.

I heard on the news that to test your computer to see if you are currently infected to go to one of the anti virus software sites (they mentioned three specifically but all I heard was McAfee) and if you redirect to Cornficker, your PC is likely infected.
jfrenaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

All the major AV companies have free solutions for you if your computer is infected. All the major AV companies' products can detect the the Conficker and prevent it.

Moreover, if you kept your computer updated via MS updates you should be ok. If you haven't kept up with critical updates, then that's another story.

In any event the Conficker is real, and it could be a problem, but it's really not that hard to take care of for anyone who knows what they are doing, and others should be able to get rid of it, if necessary, using the tools out there.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
wrp96
Über Poster

Rep Power: 156 wrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

The way I heard to check was try going to Microsoft update's site as it blocks access to their website to get updates. If you are unable to access it, you likely have the virus. If so, have a friend go download the fix from Microsoft's site and email it to you. Apparently it works by exploiting a problem with Microsoft Windows BUT Microsoft released a patch for it awhile ago so if your updates are current you should be protected. But again it's best to check to make sure.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness. -- Mark Twain
wrp96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrenaye View Post
--anyone remember the end of the world at 1201am on 1/1/2000?
John, This is brought up often as an example of people getting all upset about nothing, but did anyone ever stop to think about what would have happened if all the fixes hadn't been put in place before the date change?
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:05 PM   #8
Annette
Moderatrix
Über Poster

Rep Power: 174 Annette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

My mother was an IT manager in 1999 and they had a lot of problems getting things ready for 2000. They had a lot of very specific, custom-done applications for various programs and projects that extended into 2000, and of course their systems were completely confused at going from 99 to 00. They spent a lot of time working on patches, updates and upgrades so that users and clients would have as little interruption and difficulty as possible.

www.eastontours.com
Annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:11 PM   #9
jfrenaye
Lanoisseforp Levart
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 366 jfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdew View Post
John, This is brought up often as an example of people getting all upset about nothing, but did anyone ever stop to think about what would have happened if all the fixes hadn't been put in place before the date change?
Agreed there needed to be fixes and all; but I believe the Monday morning quarterbacking seemed to indicate that had they not made the fixes, it likely would not have been all that bad.

I recall people saying to get cash from your bank because ATMs and Credit Card Networks woudl fail. Gas pumps would stop working so be sure to fill up those 5 gallon containers for your gas needs. VCRs and so forth would all stop working and so forth. IT was truly parlayed as almost as cataclysmal as the end of the world
jfrenaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:19 PM   #10
susanliber
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 105 susanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

This computer should be fine....it is new and I always have the updates done. I am glad I was in Florida with hubby and made sure everything was updated and run. He has strict orders not to download anything at any time and there were some windows updates that needed to be done.