Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Anything goes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anything goes So, you can't figure out where to put it? Put it here.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #11
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

You've been dealing with Costa Rica. They are possibly the most incompetent of all their call centers, except for Dubai. I find the one in Singapore is their best outside the US. In my opinion, their New Mexico center is their best in the US. They're moving to Rio Rancho as soon as the new building is complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezmanffx View Post
HP in india? Ive been dealing with HP parts in puerto rico(i think). If I was purchasing my own, I would to with dell or with a stinkpad.

The last time I ordered from HP(leasing), their site allowed me to choose a discontinued laptop. Only after the lease paperwork went through did HP realize that the laptop was discontinued. It took 3 weeks to straighten out the mess.

On a somewhat funny note, they just sent me a receipt for a laptop I purchased a year ago.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:04 PM   #12
weblet
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 161 weblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I bought a Dell Latitude D420 last spring. It's small (not netbook small), extremely portable. I went from a 14.5in screen to 12in. I wasn't sure if I was going to like the smaller screen, but I hardly notice it. I'm a happy camper.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #13
pezmanffx
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 167 pezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Well at least I can understand the Costa Rican accent. In either case, I wondnt spend my $$ there since they can hardly support you after the sale. That is, if you can something ordered.

Hubby tried ordering from HP for his office and after experience the same difficulties, switched back to dell. He is running 1 HP and 25+ dells. The HP has given him more hassles than the others combined.
pezmanffx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #14
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

Here's my suggestion:

Dell Latitude E5500:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7250 (2.00GHz, 2M L2 Cache, 800Mhz FSB )
Genuine Windows Vista Business Bonus-Windows XP Professional downgrade
15.4 inch Wide Screen WXGA+ TrueLife LCD Panel
3 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 3 Year NBD On-Site Service
Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
2.0GB, DDR2-800 SDRAM, 2 DIMMS
Dell Touchpad
Internal English Single Pointing Keyboard
250GB Hard Drive, 5400RPM
8X DVD+/-RW w/Roxio and Cyberlink PowerDVD™
Intel® WiFi Link 5300 802.11a/g/n Draft Mini Card (Built-In)
Internal 56K Modem
Resource DVD - Contains Diagnostics and Drivers
9 Cell Battery
3 Year CompleteCare Accidental Damage Protection
90W A/C Adapter (3-pin)

It runs about $1,270.00

One of the nice features of this computer is no Vista. It comes with XP Pro preinstalled.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #15
Loonbeam
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 249 Loonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Ned and I are on the same page, except I might tweak the memory a little higher... If you ever have to upgrade to Vista you wouldn't have to worry about it then.
Loonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #16
wrp96
Über Poster

Rep Power: 156 wrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
One of the nice features of this computer is no Vista. It comes with XP Pro preinstalled.
Definitely a positive!!

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness. -- Mark Twain
wrp96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #17
Gesualdo
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 111 Gesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Many of our students (and one of our librarians) have had lots of problems with HP's wireless access. I'd stay away from HP.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A205 that I'm very happy with. My experiences with Vista have been mostly positive. I only cuss at it when I'm having to deal with my scanner because it doesn't play nice with Vista. I still keep my old clunker around for using with the scanner.

Actually, I have several Toshiba products around my house that I'm very happy with, come to think of it.
Gesualdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:33 PM   #18
wrp96
Über Poster

Rep Power: 156 wrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

G, thanks for the words about Toshiba. Among my IT friends, it seems like the consensus is Dell or Toshiba - at least for my needs. Ned came up with a great system from Dell for me though so I'm looking heavily at that one.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness. -- Mark Twain
wrp96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:58 PM   #19
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Arrow

G., the Toshiba laptops are good products, but I think you get more for your money right now from Dell, and in my opinion, their support is superior to Toshiba, and light years ahead of HP.

You're right about HP wireless access. Apparently they have lousy antennas and their circuitry to pull in signals isn't very good. Much as I don't really want to say this, nobody makes a better internal wireless access cards than Apple, as far as pulling in a weak signal, but Dell's is pretty darn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesualdo View Post
Many of our students (and one of our librarians) have had lots of problems with HP's wireless access. I'd stay away from HP.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A205 that I'm very happy with. My experiences with Vista have been mostly positive. I only cuss at it when I'm having to deal with my scanner because it doesn't play nice with Vista. I still keep my old clunker around for using with the scanner.

Actually, I have several Toshiba products around my house that I'm very happy with, come to think of it.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:01 AM   #20
AaronK
Platinum Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 99 AaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I would agree with getting a Dell. I have had absolutely no issues with them, and their support is usually right on.

I used to have a Toshiba Tablet PC. I would estimate that after about a month, the display on it died. Good thing I made sure it had a 3 year warranty. I verified it was the display by plugging an external monitor in, and getting a display on the monitor. So, I called up Toshiba. They sent me a box to ship them my laptop. Fortunately, I could see the status online. After they got it, they decided they needed to replace the motherboard, but had none in stock. The laptop sat in the depot for 2+ weeks while they waited for supply. Of course, once they got it in, and it didn't fix the display, they replaced the display and sent it back to me. When I called and asked what the delay was for, as I feel that 3 weeks to a month in the repair shop is unnecessary, and pointed out that I had plugged an external monitor in with no issue, hence questioning the need for a new motherboard, I got the runaround.

Fast forward 2 years. Now the hard drive is dieing. Unit is still under warranty. I call up, and ask if they can just send me a new drive, and that I was capable of replacing it myself. Nope, had to send it back in. Needless to say the event log messages showing bad drive, the unmistakable sound of a hard drive "clicking", and they decide to do yet another motherboard replacement. Another 2+ week wait for parts, and then they replace the hard drive after the motherboard replacement didn't fix the issue.

Personally, skip Toshiba.
AaronK is offline   Reply With Quote