Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Anything goes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anything goes So, you can't figure out where to put it? Put it here.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
wrp96
Über Poster

Rep Power: 156 wrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default Computer question

Okay, it looks like I'm going to have to give in and get a new laptop. I've been contemplating it for awhile (my current laptop is 4.5 years old) but I noticed last night that the edge of my screen has cracked in addition to issues with the actual operation of the laptop itself (problems starting, etc).

My current laptop is a Dell and I've been very happy with it so would be fine sticking with that brand. Does anybody have any recommendations of other brands to consider (or to avoid)?

My needs are simple. It's for my personal use only. I want a laptop instead of a pc because I do use it while traveling, also because then I can use it anywhere in my house instead of being tied down to my office. My typical use is for surfing the internet, downloading photos and simple photo editing, downloading music and movies etc. I do a little bit of work in Word and Excel, but that's about it.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness. -- Mark Twain
wrp96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
wrp96
Über Poster

Rep Power: 156 wrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

If you have any specific model recommendations as well that would be nice. I'm looking for relatively inexpensive (not cheap, there is a difference) but am not restricted by my budget.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
mrjjirh
Travel Professional
Gold Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 51 mrjjirh is able to use approved electonic devicesmrjjirh is able to use approved electonic devicesmrjjirh is able to use approved electonic devicesmrjjirh is able to use approved electonic devicesmrjjirh is able to use approved electonic devicesmrjjirh is able to use approved electonic devicesmrjjirh is able to use approved electonic devicesmrjjirh is able to use approved electonic devicesmrjjirh is able to use approved electonic devices

all mine are HP.s. They now have a super small ones.......
mrjjirh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
pezmanffx
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 167 pezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

We have had a terrable time with HP support and recently, the purchasing process has started to have issues. The last time I had to send a laptop back to hp, they lost it for a week. Over the last 3 years, I have purchased 11 HP laptops for the office and I have yet to get one that has a battery or a power cord last more than a year.

The owner of the company insists on HP but after what I have gone through at work, I would get a dell.
pezmanffx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
Happyjournalist
Silver Poster

Rep Power: 58 Happyjournalist has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classHappyjournalist has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classHappyjournalist has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classHappyjournalist has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classHappyjournalist has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classHappyjournalist has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classHappyjournalist has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classHappyjournalist has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classHappyjournalist has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classHappyjournalist has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classHappyjournalist has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first class

Hi wrp96.

http://www.dell.com/home/netbooks
Happyjournalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
dshilaos
Travel & Yachting Pro
Gold Poster

Rep Power: 50 dshilaos is able to use approved electonic devicesdshilaos is able to use approved electonic devicesdshilaos is able to use approved electonic devicesdshilaos is able to use approved electonic devicesdshilaos is able to use approved electonic devicesdshilaos is able to use approved electonic devicesdshilaos is able to use approved electonic devicesdshilaos is able to use approved electonic devices

Does anyone know if mySabre will run on a netbook?

Mark Twain
dshilaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

I can't speak for anyone other than me, but I find the "netbooks" useless for everyday computing.

The keyboard is small and so are its keys. As a result typing is inefficient at best. I find the screen is fine for occasional use, but not for being in front of the computer for several hours at a time.

I'm at a client now, using my laptop (15" wide screen - full size keyboard), while my diagnostic is running, typing this message. I'm very happy I'm not doing it via a "netbook."

If I'm traveling, and don't have to do much with the computer, as far as entering information, or typing reports then they would be great, but otherwise not.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
wrp96
Über Poster

As this will be my only computer at home, I would prefer a laptop. I would only get a mini in addition to the computer I normally use.

I currently have a 15" Dell Inspiron I believe it's an 8600. The only problem I've had with it is I had to replace the cord within the first year, but the replacement Dell sent has lasted the rest of the time. It has a 15 inch screen which was great when I was in law school and staring at it for hours on end as I took notes in class and wrote legal briefs and case notes. But since I'm out of law school, I'm not using my laptop for such serious work very often so don't necessarily have to have one as large as that. Still the minis wouldn't work as my everyday computer.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
bodega
Travel Professional
Über Über Poster
No Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezmanffx View Post
We have had a terrable time with HP support and recently, the purchasing process has started to have issues. The last time I had to send a laptop back to hp, they lost it for a week. Over the last 3 years, I have purchased 11 HP laptops for the office and I have yet to get one that has a battery or a power cord last more than a year.

The owner of the company insists on HP but after what I have gone through at work, I would get a dell.
Don't count on H-P getting better any time soon. They are laying off a lot of their overseas people and at their Spokane division, too. Our neighbor purchased a laptop directly from H-P and was having a fit dealing with them over the phone in trying to resolve a problem. The part they sent doesn't work. We tested it for them and it needs to be replace, which H-P India doesn't seem to understand
bodega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:36 PM   #10
pezmanffx
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 167 pezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

HP in india? Ive been dealing with HP parts in puerto rico(i think). If I was purchasing my own, I would to with dell or with a stinkpad.

The last time I ordered from HP(leasing), their site allowed me to choose a discontinued laptop. Only after the lease paperwork went through did HP realize that the laptop was discontinued. It took 3 weeks to straighten out the mess.

On a somewhat funny note, they just sent me a receipt for a laptop I purchased a year ago.
pezmanffx is offline   Reply With Quote