Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Foodies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Foodies Hungry? Got a recipe? Just eat at that fabulous new place? Come on in!

Old 12-16-2008, 09:20 PM   #1
Annette
Moderatrix
Über Poster

Rep Power: 174 Annette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default Recipe Reposts

Okay well since at this point I'm kind of doubting the missing posts will come back.... here's the recipes I'd posted last week.

Eggnog Custard Pie (or tarts)

CRUST
1 refrigerated pie crusts
1 egg, beaten

FILLING
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups eggnog
4 eggs
freshly grated nutmeg

1. Heat oven to 425F. Prepare 1 pie crust as directed on package (or recipe) for a one crust filled pie using 9 inch pie pan. Cut second crust into stars using small star-shaped cookie cutter. Brush edge of pie crust with beaten egg; arrange stars in decorative pattern around edge. DO NOT PRICK CRUST. Bake at 425F for 7 to 9 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove and reduce oven temperature to 350F.

2. In large bowl, combine sugar, eggnog and eggs; blend well. Pour into partially baked crust, sprinkle with nutmeg.

3. Bake at 350F for 30 to 40 minutes or until almost set (Centre of filling will be soft). Cover edge of crust with strips of foil after 15 to 20 minutes of baking to prevent excesive browning. Cool 2 hours or until completely cooled, store in refrigerator.

Note: I cheated and used frozen tart shells from Costco and they turned out just fine.

www.eastontours.com
Annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
Annette
Moderatrix
Über Poster

Rep Power: 174 Annette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Cranberry Orange Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups chopped cranberries

1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
3 tablespoons orange juice
1 1/2 cups icing sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, white sugar and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg until well blended. Mix in 1 teaspoon orange zest and 2 tablespoons orange juice. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into the orange mixture. Mix in cranberries and if using, walnuts, until evenly distributed. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Cookies should be spaced at least 2 inches apart.

3. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes in the preheated oven, until the edges are golden. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.

4. In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 teaspoon orange zest, 3 tablespoons orange juice and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread over the tops of cooled cookies. Let stand until set.

Note: I didn't put the glaze on the cookies and they turned out just fine.

www.eastontours.com
Old 12-16-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
Annette
Moderatrix
Über Poster

Molasses Crinkles

1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup margarine
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 cups flour, all-purpose
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
granulated sugar

1. Mix brown sugar, margarine, shortening, molasses and egg in medium bowl. Sift in remaining ingredients except granulated sugar. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour but no longer than 24 hours.

2. Heat oven to 375. Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls; roll in granulated sugar. Place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 11 minutes or just until set. Cool slightly, remove from cookie sheet.

ETA Note: The dough for this is REALLY soft, even after a night of sitting in the fridge. They turn out just fine so don't worry about the consistency of the dough.

www.eastontours.com

Last edited by Annette; 12-16-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Thumbs up

Thanks very much Annette, for taking the trouble to repost them, including photos. I've put them in my recipe folder.

(Here's some rep for your hard work. Thanks again.)

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
Annette
Moderatrix
Über Poster

Eggnog Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup eggnog
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking powder

1. In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar and eggs; beat until light and fluffy. Stir in eggnog and vanilla. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In medium bowl, combine flour, nutmeg, and baking powder. Add flour mixture to butter mixture; blend well. Cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate 20 minutes for easier handling.

2. Heat oven to 350F. Divide dough in half,. On lightly floured surface roll half of dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut with assorted cookie cutters. place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.

3. Bake at 350F for 7-10 mins or until cookies are a light golden brown. Remove from cookie sheets and cool completely.

www.eastontours.com
Old 12-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
Annette
Moderatrix
Über Poster

Stained Glass Cookies

1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon molasses
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
30 hard candies (such as Life Savers), preferably in several flavors/colors (30 to 40)

1. Pre-heat oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat.

2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugars until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add molasses and vanilla extract, mixing until incorporated. Add egg and mix until light and smooth, about 1 minute on medium speed.

3. Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. Fold dry ingredients into wet mixture. Use electric mixer to blend just until flour is incorporated. Divide dough in half and flatten into two disks. Wrap disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least an hour and up to 2 days.

4. Remove any wrappers on candies and separate them by color into plastic bags. Using a mallet to crush candies.

5. Place one disk between two large sheets of waxed paper and roll to 1/4-inch thickness. Use cookie cutters to cut dough into desired shapes. Transfer cookies to prepared baking sheets, about 1 inch apart. Using a smaller cookie cutter or a knife, cut shapes into centers of cookies, reserving these center bits to add into extra dough.

6. Use a spoon to sprinkle the crushed candy into the hollowed-out centers of the cookies, filling to the edges. Try to keep the candy within the centers. Any candy specks that fall on the cookie will color the cookie.

7. If cookies will be hung as ornaments or decorations, poke a small hole in the top of each cookie before baking.

8. Bake 9 to 10 minutes. The candy should be melted and bubbling and the cookies just barely beginning to brown. Remove baking sheets from oven and place on wire racks to cool. Allow cookies to cool on pans at least 10 minutes; otherwise, the candy centers may separate from the dough. When cookies are completely cooled, remove and store in an airtight container. String with ribbon if you want to hang as an ornament.

9. Makes 2 to 4 dozen cookies, depending on how large you make them.

Note: I used Jolly Ranchers for the candy

www.eastontours.com
Old 12-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #7
Annette
Moderatrix
Über Poster

Date Pinwheel Cookies

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour, all-purpose
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
8 ounces chopped dates
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1. In a large bowl, cream butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir flour mixture into creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate dough at least 2 hours or until well chilled.

2. In a saucepan, combine dates, water, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened; cool.

3. Preheat oven to 350F. Divide dough into three equal parts. Roll each third of dough into a rectangle 8 x 10 inches and 1/4 inch thick. Spread 1/3 of date mixture over each rectangle. Starting with one long end, roll up dough. Cut into 1/2 inch thick slices. Place on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake 14 to 16 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.

Note: No picture of these ones - this is my "failure" cookie of the year, they just didn't rise or turn out anywhere near the way I wanted.

www.eastontours.com
Old 12-16-2008, 09:28 PM   #8
Annette
Moderatrix
Über Poster

Christmas Cookie Slices

1 cup sugar
1 cup margarine
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
3 cups flour, all-purpose
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1. Mix sugar, margarine, vanilla and eggs in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Divide into 3 equal parts. Shape each part into a roll, about 1.5 inches in diameter. Coat rolls in coloured sugar or sprinkles before chilling. Wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours.

2. Heat oven to 400. Cut rolls into 1/8 inch slices. Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or just until golden brown around edges. Immediate remove from cookie sheets. Cool on wire rack.

www.eastontours.com
Old 12-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #9
Annette
Moderatrix
Über Poster

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
2 eggs
1 cup butter

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Combine dry ingredients. In a separate bowl cream sugars, eggs vanilla and butter. Sift dry ingredients into butter. Stir in chocolate chips.

2. Drop by teaspoon onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 9-12 minutes .

Note: I'll sometimes vary these ones a bit by adding some white chocolate chips, or some slivered almonds. But they don't really show well in the photo.

www.eastontours.com
Old 12-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #10
Annette
Moderatrix
Über Poster

Oatmeal Scotchies

1 1/4 cups flour, all-purpose
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup margarine, or butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups oats
2 cups butterscotch chips

1. Preheat oven to 375.

2. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla in large bowl until creamy. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in oats and butterscotch chips. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheets.

3. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes for chewy cookies, 9 to 10 for crisp cookies. Let stand for 2 minutes, remove to wire racks to cool completely.

www.eastontours.com