Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Foodies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Foodies Hungry? Got a recipe? Just eat at that fabulous new place? Come on in!

Old 11-28-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
jfrenaye
Lanoisseforp Levart
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 366 jfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default Why won't my popovers pop

Tried to make popovers for breakfast this morning and they came out like crap.

Milk (whole)
Flour (all purpose pre sifted)
Eggs
Salt

Baked in a muffin tray dark non stick metallic and they did not rise. What the hell am I doing wrong?
jfrenaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

John, The ingredients sound right.

1 cup flour, 1/4 teasp salt, 1 tablesp butter melted, 1 cup milk, 2 large eggs.
One of the recipes I have says:

Fill greased cups about 1/2 full
For a brown shell back on center rack in 400 degree oven for about 40 minutes.
For light color bake in 375 oven for about 50 -55 minutes.

KEEP THE OVEN DOOR CLOSED, popovers may collapse if a draft of air hits them just as they are swelling.
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #3
jfrenaye
Lanoisseforp Levart
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 366 jfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

1c flour
1c milk
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs

I used PAM on the muffin tray. It said to bake for 20 mins (pre heated) at 450 and then reduce to 325 for another 20. At the first 20 they were brown enough and I was scared they woudl be crispy burnt for another 20 mins.

They tasted fine but looked like crap and were more like a muffin or cake.

I am wondering if the pan is wrong. I am usimng a dark non stick muffin pan with like a dozen cups and filling them 1/2 to 3/4. I kept the oven closed.

Man I wish my grandmother was still alive she had some great stuff---SOS and Popovers are what I always remember the mornign after Thanksgiving and Christmas!

PS
My recipe is from the Betty Crocker Cookbook...I think that is the title...the orange covered one in a binder that has been for sale for hundreds of years it seems
Old 11-28-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
Annette
Moderatrix
Über Poster

Rep Power: 174 Annette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I sometimes make yorkshire pudding in a muffin pan, which I think is much the same as popovers. My recipe says to put a bit of fat (I use maragine) in the tins and then put them in the oven on high heat until the fat is hot, then put the batter into the tins and bake. If the fat (margarine) isn't hot enough then they won't puff up. Maybe that would work for you?

www.eastontours.com
Annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

I use some baking powder in mine, plus how you mix makes a difference.

I mix the dry ingredients in one bowl, and the wet in the other. When I combine, I slowly stir to incorporate them; no heavy mixing or whisking.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
jfrenaye
Lanoisseforp Levart
Super Duper Über Poster

OK I did use an electric beater and put the ingredients in the bowl all at once.

That might be it--and I will try butter insrtead of PAM and see how it works tomorrow!
Old 11-28-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
InfrequentFlyer
No Avatar

Rep Power: 43 InfrequentFlyer has reached our cruising altitude of 30,000 feetInfrequentFlyer has reached our cruising altitude of 30,000 feetInfrequentFlyer has reached our cruising altitude of 30,000 feetInfrequentFlyer has reached our cruising altitude of 30,000 feetInfrequentFlyer has reached our cruising altitude of 30,000 feetInfrequentFlyer has reached our cruising altitude of 30,000 feetInfrequentFlyer has reached our cruising altitude of 30,000 feetInfrequentFlyer has reached our cruising altitude of 30,000 feetInfrequentFlyer has reached our cruising altitude of 30,000 feetInfrequentFlyer has reached our cruising altitude of 30,000 feetInfrequentFlyer has reached our cruising altitude of 30,000 feet

When making Yorkshire Pudding (which is just a very large popover) I was taught to mix the batter first, then put it in the refrigerator while heating the fat (drippings or butter) and heating the pan or muffin tin, finally pouring the batter carefully into the heated tin over the melted fat.
NEVER open the oven door while baking, especially mid-way through the process.
This could have been more ritual than important instructions. but you do get a nice puff to the pud this way.
InfrequentFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:05 PM   #8
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

IF, your warning to "NEVER open the oven door while baking, especially mid-way through the process." is a critical one.

Anyone baking a Yorkshire Pudding, Soufflé, or Popover should heed your warning. You should only open the oven when you begin to believe the item is done, or at least, very close to being done.

Some ovens heat unevenly enough that they require turning the baking items during the baking. If this is true for anyone's oven, that will probably prevent you from successfully baking such items as Yorkshire Pudding, Soufflé, or Popovers.

Good luck to all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfrequentFlyer View Post
When making Yorkshire Pudding (which is just a very large popover) I was taught to mix the batter first, then put it in the refrigerator while heating the fat (drippings or butter) and heating the pan or muffin tin, finally pouring the batter carefully into the heated tin over the melted fat.
NEVER open the oven door while baking, especially mid-way through the process.
This could have been more ritual than important instructions. but you do get a nice puff to the pud this way.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
mtp51
beegus ahoya
Über Poster

Rep Power: 209 mtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Deano must be hung over or turkeyd over as this thread is right up his alley. I, on the other hand, don't cook. Much.

only the mediocre are always at their best
mtp51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #10
deangreenhoe
Travel Professional
Super Über Poster

Rep Power: 427 deangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtp51 View Post
Deano must be hung over or turkeyd over as this thread is right up his alley. I, on the other hand, don't cook. Much.
Ha! No hangover - the turkey was moist but turkey day was dry.

I've never made popovers. The ex, Mr. Chef & Caterer, made them perfectly and in fairly large quantities all the time but I didn't pay attention in great detail so I just zapped him on line and asked for tips.

He doesn't refrigerate his batter but he did let it rest for at least a half hour after mixing since everything should be at room temperature before baking. And he did pre-heat the pans before putting in the oil and batter. He used clarified butter if he had the time to fuss with it, oil on the fly. A suggested tip for making sure they rise properly is to separate and remove the yolk of one of the eggs in your basic recipe. That's a common chef's trick for souffle type of dishes. I guess too much yolk is usually the reason that those type of things won't puff properly.

Sincerely,

The Minister of Information
deangreenhoe is offline   Reply With Quote