Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot topics > My trip > I'm Back, My Trip Review
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I'm Back, My Trip Review Back from your trip? This is your place to tell us about your trip, and give us your review of the trip, transportation, hotels, restaurants, tours, sights, and anything else you want to tell members to help them in the future.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
JBM
Former Road Warrior
Gold Poster

Rep Power: 43 JBM is able to use approved electonic devicesJBM is able to use approved electonic devicesJBM is able to use approved electonic devicesJBM is able to use approved electonic devicesJBM is able to use approved electonic devicesJBM is able to use approved electonic devicesJBM is able to use approved electonic devicesJBM is able to use approved electonic devices
Default The Oregon Trail: Day 2

The second day of my move from TPK to PDX was both bad and good. My cold made me feel miserable, but we actually made such good time (despite the heavy traffic in the Denver area, in part due to the Democratic National Convention) that we drove on past Laramie and continued on to Rawlins, WY before calling it a day.

I forgot to mention this, but we are traveling in two vehicles: a 17-foot U-Haul van and my wife's Dodge Intrepid R/T. We decided not to tow the car because it has relatively low miles, plus I just don't care for towing. When you don't drive a truck/trailer every day, it's not a skill that comes easily to me.

As we did when we moved from Oregon to Kansas in 2005, we carry walkie-talkies in both cars. Yes, all of us (except Benny) have cell phones, but walkie-talkies are quicker, unless you happen to have Sprint Nextel phones. I use them to give my wife or sister-in-law ("Seester") a heads-up when we are going to take an exit, which way to go, or when they need to let me know we need to take a break.

One annoying thing about our trip: we have stayed so far at a Country Inn by Carlson and a Holiday Inn Express. Both of them touted having queen-sized beds, but they sure seem to be more like doubles than queens. Seester sleeps on a queen at home, and she says the hotel beds seem small for a queen bed.

If I had my druthers, we'd stay at Hilton Garden Inns. You pay more, but the beds are the best I've seen for the price-point. The big problem is, most of the places on our route don't offer HGI, and the one in Laramie didn't permit pets (who could refuse our Benny? Sheesh!). Of course, we wound up pushing on, so staying in Laramie became moot.

The extra 90 miles to Rawlins means we have a shorter trip to Park City. I'm excited to go back there and show my wife and Seester why I make such a big deal about the town.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:18 PM   #2
bodega
Travel Professional
Über Über Poster
No Avatar

Ah lovely Rawlins. We stayed at the Best Western there and it was not one I would suggest. The Best Western in Park City is very nice!

I am enjoying your travel journal!
bodega is offline   Reply With Quote