Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Anything goes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anything goes So, you can't figure out where to put it? Put it here.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
weblet
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 161 weblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default Internet Filtering Software

A group of us moms have been talking about the fact that our kids are increasingly getting their own computers (laptop and desktop) and watching them 24/7 is not an option with all the different ways they can access the internet these days. The age group we have in common is 11/12, some have older sibs, some younger.

Personally, I have a 14 year old with his own desktop, I have a laptop, my husband has a laptop (business) and we just got our 12 year old his own laptop (self-defense, he was arguing constantly with the 14 over computer time). We also have PS3 and a PSP which also can access the internet.

So we have been talking about getting some sort of software. The biggies seem to be Net Nanny, Cyber Patrol, Safe Eyes. We are looking at Safe Eyes (http://www.internetsafety.com/safe-eyes/) as it seems to get really good reviews on consumer sites, plus it will allow 3 computers on one subscription.

I will say that I have had this sort of software before, when the kids first started on the computer (6-7 years ago?). I found it cumbersome and drove me crazy, since it seemed to block everything and I was constantly having to approve sites by manually typing websites onto a list. I finally gave up. I'm thinking that they may have improved the software to be a little more intuitive, and Safe Eyes intrigues me because they seem to be able to store things on their own servers, meaning I don't have to be at the computer in question in order to approve sites - they can email/text me for approval. And if they are storing info on their servers I would think that it would make it more difficult for the kids to hack into the system to bypass approvals. Unless I'm misunderstanding something here.

Since I will freely admit that I am not as computer savvy as my kids (LOL), has anyone here had experience with this type of software and how easy it is to set up, maintain?
Old 06-30-2008, 06:55 AM   #2
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Ann,
I just saw this in a PC Magazine mailing and thought it might be of some help. It doesn't discuss the different programs that will monitor the net, but does give "7 Rules for MySpace Parents"

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2321587,00.asp
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
weblet
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 161 weblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Excellent! It led me to more articles and a review of Safe Eyes... Thanks!
Old 07-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
Loonbeam
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 249 Loonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

No filter is perfect, but Safe Eyes seems to get the nod from the teachers I know...
Loonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote