Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Foodies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Foodies Hungry? Got a recipe? Just eat at that fabulous new place? Come on in!

Old 03-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
tiredtravelagent2
Supporting Member
Silver Poster

Rep Power: 43 tiredtravelagent2 is careening down the runwaytiredtravelagent2 is careening down the runwaytiredtravelagent2 is careening down the runwaytiredtravelagent2 is careening down the runwaytiredtravelagent2 is careening down the runwaytiredtravelagent2 is careening down the runway
Default Meatloaf recipe

I was talking to a friend of my daughters the other evening after dinner. He was telling us about a meatloaf his ex-wife used to make, using cinnamon and brown sugar (he thinks).

I was wondering if any of you have heard of this recipe and if so, could you share it here?
Old 03-24-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
jimtbay
Go outside! Be active!
Silver Poster

Rep Power: 39 jimtbay has closed the door for pushbackjimtbay has closed the door for pushbackjimtbay has closed the door for pushbackjimtbay has closed the door for pushback

I use cinnamon, brown sugar and tomato paste as a glaze to the meatloaf.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
bravestar
Travel Professional
Über Poster

Rep Power: 102 bravestar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesbravestar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesbravestar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesbravestar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesbravestar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesbravestar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesbravestar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesbravestar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesbravestar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesbravestar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesbravestar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Wow, that sounds interesting. I use ketchup as my "glaze", put on the last 15 minutes of baking.

Out of curiosity I did a search on AllRecipes.com (my favorite recipe site) and couldn't find a meatloaf recipe that used cinnamon and brown sugar.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
BYOFT
Travel Professional
Gold Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 71 BYOFT has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesBYOFT has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesBYOFT has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesBYOFT has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesBYOFT has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesBYOFT has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesBYOFT has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesBYOFT has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesBYOFT has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesBYOFT has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesBYOFT has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

That sounds good, but I don't have a recipe, either.
BYOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #5
tiredtravelagent2
Supporting Member
Silver Poster

Rep Power: 43 tiredtravelagent2 is careening down the runwaytiredtravelagent2 is careening down the runwaytiredtravelagent2 is careening down the runwaytiredtravelagent2 is careening down the runwaytiredtravelagent2 is careening down the runwaytiredtravelagent2 is careening down the runway

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtbay View Post
I use cinnamon, brown sugar and tomato paste as a glaze to the meatloaf.
If you don't mind me asking how exactly do you make your glaze from these ingredients? How much of each do you use, and when do do you add it to your meatloaf, in the last 15 minutes or so?
Old 03-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
jimtbay
Go outside! Be active!
Silver Poster

Rep Power: 39 jimtbay has closed the door for pushbackjimtbay has closed the door for pushbackjimtbay has closed the door for pushbackjimtbay has closed the door for pushback

I take a can of good paste, a few sprinkles of cinnamon and a few tablespoons of brown sugar, mix and thin with a small amount of chicken stock/broth so it will spread and adhere to the meat. You can also use tomato sauce or puree, though I find puree and sauce I have to cook down the mixture to minimze the tomato taste and add a few other spices.

I always have some chicken or veggie broth/stock on hand.

Cover the top of the loaf with the mixture when there is about 30 mins left of cooking. Once it is done, broil for a few mins to get that sugar to carmelize the rest of the way. I do not measure, I go by eye, experience and taste. However, that is what makes my baking suspect.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
jjjenny
Supporting Member
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 77 jjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Okay Jim, that sounds really good. Now how about giving us the recipe for the meat portion? Maybe I'm just getting really hungry right now and am thinking about a good meat loaf.
jjjenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:01 PM   #8
IslandGirl
Travel Consultant
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 88 IslandGirl has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesIslandGirl has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesIslandGirl has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesIslandGirl has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesIslandGirl has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesIslandGirl has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesIslandGirl has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesIslandGirl has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesIslandGirl has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesIslandGirl has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesIslandGirl has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

That sounds good. I will have to try it. I typically put tomatoes and parm cheese and Italian bread crumbs in mine. I love leftover meat loaf for sandwiches!
IslandGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:13 PM   #9
Annette
Moderatrix
Über Poster

Rep Power: 174 Annette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I do something similar, more of a sweet'n'sour kind of thing - brown sugar, ketchup, mustard mixed together and spread on top before baking. Makes for a nice moist meatloaf.

www.eastontours.com
Annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:10 AM   #10
susanliber
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 105 susanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I will def have to try some of these. I only use spaghetti sauce for Italian meatloaf and salsa on Mexican meatloaf.