Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By air
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By air Flying somewhere? Talk about it here.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite major US Airline?
Continental 13 13.27%
American 19 19.39%
United 13 13.27%
Delta 14 14.29%
US Airways 12 12.24%
Northwest 11 11.22%
Southwest 16 16.33%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2005, 10:29 AM   #1
James Wysong
Tripso columnist
No Avatar

Rep Power: 0 James Wysong rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding
Default Airline of choice?

Okay, everyone has a personal favorite, let's hear yours!
James Wysong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 07:49 PM   #2
stephen_s
I hate driving
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 164 stephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default Favorite Airline

I voted for United because they give you free stuff even in coach (free headsets and free snacks or meals).

I like US Airways too but their prices have been way too high lately.
stephen_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 12:23 AM   #3
astra
No Avatar

I absolutely adore America West. Have been platinum with them for three years now and they are very good to me. I've received FC upgrades every time I fly (which is cross country weekly). For the most part, they have great flight attendants and not-so-bad looking pilots and lots of vodka. Hey, maybe that's the reason?! Unfortunately, my current business destination is not serviced by AWA and so I fly Northwest (AUGH!!) No movies on these planes but lots more vodka!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 12:26 AM   #4
sinnissippi
No Avatar

Default I like American, generally,

except for a lousy attendant on my flight to Hawaii. I can handle most of the ones I've flown except Delta -- hate them. Like being a sardine with my knees around my neck -- very clausterphobic. Haven't flown United in a long time, but will next week.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:39 AM   #5
jfrenaye
Lanoisseforp Levart
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 366 jfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default United for me

Sorry to the loyal United people, but it seems that every time I fly United, there is a holier than thou attitude by almost everyone--from the ticketing agent to the gate agent, and even to the cabin crew. But the travelers seem to be the worst.

One time I was seated in FC with my girlfriend. We could not get seats together, and asked what appeard to be a nice woman if she would switch her aisle seat on the left for an aisle seat on the right so we could sit together. Well, you would have thought I asked for a kidney. "Do you realize that I am one of United's best customers? I am ALWAYS in first class and whan I fly I am ALWAYS in this seat. So no, I will not switch." Even the FA was amazed. I just sat there and morphed into the most obnoxious seatmate she could ever wish for--unfortunately I did not have the foresight to bring in some extra smelly food to eat en-route---another pet peeve of mine!
jfrenaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:27 AM   #6
WarmWaters
Trusted Member
No Avatar

Rep Power: 37 WarmWaters rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

I likeSouthWest because of the flight crews. For me, an airplane is just a box of people - so it's the people who make the difference.
WarmWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:20 AM   #7
trishinomaha

Default Southwest gets my vote

I have to say that I used to avoid SW airlines like the plague but the last few flights I've taken have been on Southwest. The prices are unbeatable especially considering that I live in a city that is not a major hub (Omaha). All the employees I've encountered have been pleasant and seem to enjoy their jobs. I also like the fact that you can book your flight in segments. We flew to Philadelphia a few weeks ago to pick up a car we'd purchased and were driving back so only needed a one way flight. SW was the only airline that would let us book a one way flight on line. The planes are clean and the new leather seats a plus.
trishinomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 05:08 PM   #8
Cornhusker

Default Southwest

I have to agree with Trish. I have had nothing but good luck with Southwest, flying from Omaha. Sometimes the crews really show a great sense of humor! I live in Lincoln and work in Omaha and so I fly from OMA a lot more often than LNK. OMA is also often a lot cheaper than flying from LNK. It is great to see a fellow Husker on here!!!
Cornhusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 02:55 PM   #9
makfan
Trusted Member
No Avatar

Rep Power: 37 makfan rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

I voted for American because I like the option of first class. However, AA has been cutting all the things which used to make it special. The "more room in coach" configuration made it tolerable when upgrades didn't come through. Now there is not a lot of leg room, no pillows, pay for food, more routes with regional jets with no first class, etc.

I flew Southwest a lot in the past before I could earn elite status on a full service carrier, and I agree that their employees usually had a good attitude. They weren't perfect, and I had a couple of absurd experiences over "no standby" tickets. [In one case, they wouldn't let me and a friend standby for an earlier flight which went out with empty seats, then needed to compensate two people on our flight to give up their seats because it was overbooked. Yes, I know our tickets were endorsed no standby, but wouldn't making an exception have saved the company $$? We weren't rude, we just asked if we could go home early since we had arrived at the airport early.]

I may end up going back to Southwest before long as I am not flying enough to keep my elite status these days.
makfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:58 PM   #10
JohnBTCB
Trusted Member
No Avatar

Rep Power: 37 JohnBTCB rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

Agree with astra.

Love America West.

JohnBTCB is offline   Reply With Quote