Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Foodies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Foodies Hungry? Got a recipe? Just eat at that fabulous new place? Come on in!

Old 11-28-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
stephen_s
I hate driving
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 164 stephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default Coffee clash at McDonald's

The fast-food chain wants to move full steam ahead into the growing market for specialty coffees with cappuccinos and other espresso drinks. But first it must bring reluctant franchisees on board.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...McDonalds.aspx
stephen_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
Gesualdo
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 111 Gesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Okay...Starbucks' coffee isn't that great, though. What people are buying, mostly, is the brand prestige. While I do think people appreciate that they make better coffee these days, I don't think people are going to visit McBucks for a latte. The franchise owners probably realize this and that's one reason they balk at spending that kind of money. The other reason is probably that they already run on a pretty thin margin. Hard to come up with that kind of money for an experiment.
Gesualdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:05 PM   #3
jimtbay
Go outside! Be active!
Silver Poster

Rep Power: 39 jimtbay has closed the door for pushbackjimtbay has closed the door for pushbackjimtbay has closed the door for pushbackjimtbay has closed the door for pushback

There are two locally owned coffee shops in my area that roast their own coffee. There is no way I am drinking "brand roasted coffee" ever again if I have a choice. My cupboard is full of their different roasts. It is fantastic.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
wrp96
Über Poster

Rep Power: 156 wrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

McDonald's coffee is actually pretty good. I know people that have switched from Starbucks to McDonald's at least for drip coffee and for iced coffee. The one issue we've had is that every single store makes it differently. For example, you get an iced coffee at Store X and they automatically put sugar in it, get it at Store Y and they don't. The problem is there isn't any consistency in how they make them which makes places like Starbucks (or even locally owned places) a better bet for something like lattes and espressos.
wrp96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
Kairho
Senior Ferroequinologist
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 419 Kairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I still hate any of these places that ask how you want your coffee, you say "regular," and they counter with "you want milk and sugar?" Idiots!
Religion limits civil liberties for imaginary reasons. The surest way to lose many of our cherished civil liberties is to end the separation of church and state and let religious leaders determine the rules. --David Drumm
Kairho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:50 PM   #6
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
McDonald's coffee is actually pretty good. I know people that have switched from Starbucks to McDonald's at least for drip coffee and for iced coffee.
I like McDonald's for coffee too, but then, I'm really looking for regular coffee. I don't want any extra flavors added.

As for the iced coffee, I've found they need to only fill the cup half way with the blend and then add full strength coffee for the rest and a few ice cubes...
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:38 PM   #7
RGoltsch
Simply worn out traveler
Silver Poster

Rep Power: 61 RGoltsch has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classRGoltsch has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classRGoltsch has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classRGoltsch has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classRGoltsch has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classRGoltsch has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classRGoltsch has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classRGoltsch has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classRGoltsch has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classRGoltsch has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classRGoltsch has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairho View Post
I still hate any of these places that ask how you want your coffee, you say "regular," and they counter with "you want milk and sugar?" Idiots!
Sorry bud, but not all of us drink coffee. Would you rather they assume regular means black and let you find out about a mile down the road?

I sometimes pick up coffee for friends and when they say "Regular", I confirm that this means milk, sugar, and pineapple juice........just want to be sure

My wife and I have a coffee maker in the house that gets used about twice a year when company asks for coffee. Neither of us simply ever developed a taste for it........

Ron
RGoltsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #8
susanliber
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 105 susanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

You can all keep Starbucks and Mickey D's coffee. I prefer Dunkin donuts coffee or Stewarts.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #9
AaronK
Platinum Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 99 AaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I'll take a cup of Dunkies any time over Staryucks.

And no, I wouldn't go to McDs for a cup of coffee, or any fancy thing. They should stick to what they do best, fast, greasy, fattening food.
AaronK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:03 PM   #10
Carchar
Diamond Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 88 Carchar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCarchar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCarchar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCarchar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCarchar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCarchar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCarchar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCarchar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCarchar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCarchar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCarchar has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I don't mind Starbucks lattes made with espresso roast, but I don't like their plain coffees at all. Too harsh with a bitter aftertaste. When my husband and I go out to breakfast, we usually have our home-brewed non-flavored Gevalia before we leave.