Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By air
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By air Flying somewhere? Talk about it here.

Old 08-14-2005, 03:15 PM   #1
jo.g
Travel Professional

It is looking more likely that Delta will file for bankrupcy. Should I
use my miles now?? jo
jo.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 03:23 PM   #2
stephen_s
I hate driving
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 164 stephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I would. If it isn't the blackout period that'll get you, it's the bankruptcy.
stephen_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 03:48 PM   #3
jfrenaye
Lanoisseforp Levart
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 366 jfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Chapter 11 typically protects the ponts. Chapter 7 is a whole different issue. I do not see DL liquidating without first going to Chapter 11 to give it one more shot--and maybe weave a new golden parachute for Gerry.

But I would look to use any points that you have on DL, NW, UA, and US. I might even go so far as to try and book the rewards on their partners.
jfrenaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:26 PM   #4
Ella2
Trusted Member
No Avatar

Rep Power: 36 Ella2 rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

Great topic. I have a boatload of miles on Delta and think it's probably time to use them as well, but can't find an easy ONLINE way to use them on their partners. I'm sure the answer is out there but if someone here can point me in the right direction on how to redeem Delta miles on other airlines, I'd appreciate it!

Delta's schedules for certain routes leave a LOT to be desired, and if I can redeem on other carriers (looking to redeem for first class to HNL or OGG), that would be great.

Thanks for any help!
Ella2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 06:25 AM   #5
Kairho
No Avatar

There may not be an easy online way to redeem on partners, but they are only an easy phone call away. I never redeem online but have found their agents more than friendly and helpful.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:06 AM   #6
Dusty Springfield
Travel Professional
Silver Poster

Rep Power: 39 Dusty Springfield is boarding the planeDusty Springfield is boarding the plane

You can redeem them on Continental or Alitalia or Air France. You need to call Delta and tell them you want to redeem miles on a partner airline.
Dusty Springfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 02:25 PM   #7
dba31498
Trusted Member
No Avatar

Rep Power: 36 dba31498 rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

Quote:
Originally posted by jfrenaye@Aug 14 2005, 02:48 PM
Chapter 11 typically protects the ponts.* Chapter 7 is a whole different issue.* I do not see DL liquidating without first going to Chapter 11 to give it one more shot--and maybe weave a new golden parachute for Gerry.

But I would look to use any points that you have on DL, NW, UA, and US.* I might even go so far as to try and book the rewards on their partners.
[snapback]7062[/snapback]
Speaking of Delta and NW. What will happen to FF miles that I have accrued if they go bankrupt, most likely Delta.
Also I have some Skymiles from Delta, and am also using NW more so I got a Worldperks account. Is there any way to transfer points from one to the other. However, since they are both part of Skyteam, is it worth it?
dba31498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 02:46 PM   #8
binny
Travel Professional
Gold Poster

Rep Power: 47 binny is wheels upbinny is wheels upbinny is wheels upbinny is wheels upbinny is wheels upbinny is wheels upbinny is wheels up

Not sure if this is of interest but thought Id post it anyway,

You can sign up for a service at www.points.com and transfer those points to other things Online, stores, even ebay.

So if you have an odd number of points or you just dont want to use them for flights you can transfer them over.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:36 PM   #9
rampo
Silver Poster

I think that it's probably a good idea to regularly use your frequent flier miles no matter which program you are with. FF miles devalue over time. My AAdvantage miles buy me a lot less today than they would have one or two years ago. I used to able to use miles only to upgrade on international flights; now its miles plus $250 each way. An award roundtrip business fare to Hong Kong used to be 90,000 miles; now its 110,000. It's fine to collect FF miles for a goal, but recognize that each year they will buy less and less.
rampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:07 PM   #10
dba31498
Trusted Member
No Avatar

Rep Power: 36 dba31498 rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

Quote:
Originally posted by binny@Aug 15 2005, 01:46 PM
Not sure if this is of interest but thought Id post it anyway,

You can sign up for a service at www.points.com and transfer those points to other things Online, stores, even ebay.
So if you have an odd number of points or you just dont want to use them for flights you can transfer them over.
[snapback]7154[/snapback]
Points.com don't use either Skymiles or WorldPerks. However, does anyone know if I can use my delta skymiles to get an upgrade on NW. And how much to upgrade to biz class
dba31498 is offline   Reply With Quote