Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By air
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By air Flying somewhere? Talk about it here.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #1
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow Forbes Ranks the Worst US Airlines.

Here's Forbes list of the worst US Airlines (Stats for the 12 months ending July, 2007):
  1. Atlantic Southeast Airlines (They fly for Delta) - worst on-time performance 63.3%, baggage mishandling: 16.9 per 1,000 passengers (worst), cancellations: 4.4% (second worst)
  2. Comair (a division of Delta Air Lines) - on-time performance: 66.6% (second worst), baggage mishandling: 11.9 per 1,000 passengers (third), cancellations: 5.4% (worst)
  3. American Eagle Airlines (a division of American Airlines) - on-time performance: 69% (fourth worst), baggage mishandling: 13.5 per 1,000 passengers (second), cancellations: 4.4% (third)
  4. Expressjet Airlines - on-time performance: 73% (ninth worst), baggage mishandling: 8.9 per 1,000 passengers (fifth), cancellation rating: 3.4% (fourth)
  5. US Airways - on-time performance: 68.3% (third worst), baggage mishandling: 8.6 per 1,000 passengers (seventh), cancellations: 1.9% (ninth) (I would personally add that much of this is due to the conditions at PHL which have been significantly addressed and improved since late spring, so much of the improvement can't be seen in this stats.)
  6. American Airlines - on-time performance: 69.9% (fifth worst), baggage mishandling: 5.8 per 1,000 passengers (11th), cancellations: 2.0% (eighth) (I would point out that American Airlines has made significant changes during the summer in their scheduling which aren't reflected in these stats.)
  7. Mesa Airlines - on-time performance: 72.5% (seventh worst), baggage mishandling: 10.1 per 1,000 passengers (fourth), cancellations: 2.7% (sixth)
  8. Delta Air Lines - on-time performance: 69.9% (fifth worst), baggage mishandling: 6.6 per 1,000 passengers (eighth), cancellations: 1.5% (13th)
  9. United Airlines - on-time performance: 72.4% (sixth worst), baggage mishandling: 5.4 per 1,000 passengers (12th), cancellations: 2.1% (seventh)
  10. Alaska Airlines - on-time performance: 72.8% (eighth worst), baggage mishandling: 6.6 per 1,000 passengers (ninth), cancellations: 1.2% (15th)

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
DenaLou
Travel Professional
Silver Poster

Rep Power: 41 DenaLou is on the taxiwayDenaLou is on the taxiwayDenaLou is on the taxiwayDenaLou is on the taxiway

I'm completely surprised that Northwest isn't on that list.

Blow me away!!!!!!
DenaLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:19 AM   #3
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

Dena, it shocked me too. My older son went to Michigan. Everyone at Michigan would relate, "Northworst Airlines - No flight ever on time."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenaLou View Post
I'm completely surprised that Northwest isn't on that list.

Blow me away!!!!!!

Old 09-28-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
deangreenhoe
Travel Professional
Super Über Poster

Rep Power: 427 deangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Dena, it shocked me too. My older son went to Michigan. Everyone at Michigan would relate, "Northworst Airlines - No flight ever on time."
It's a difference between perception from personal experience and what the overall statistics prove out. Here in Red Tail Country, the majority of folks do end up on Northwest so the bulk of their experiences (good and bad) are with that carrier. It's difficult to (honestly) be critical of an airline you don't actually fly on a regular basis.

In my opinion, most all U.S. domestic airlines suck - it's just a matter of degrees.

It also depends on your personal criteria. I base my choice of carrier on convenience/frequency in the marketplace, frequent flier program benefits and ease of conducting reservation/purchase transactions.

In think in reality, the majority of frequent travelers do the same regardless of what consumer surveys or performance statistics tell us. So Ned will continue to fly USAir, Kairho Delta and you'll generally find me on Northwest unless there's a really good reason not to on any given itinerary.
deangreenhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
wrp96
Über Poster

Rep Power: 156 wrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangreenhoe View Post
In my opinion, most all U.S. domestic airlines suck - it's just a matter of degrees.
This was my thought as well when I first saw the title of this thread. Why bother ranking them when most of the time they all suck?
wrp96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangreenhoe View Post
It's a difference between perception from personal experience and what the overall statistics prove out. Here in Red Tail Country, the majority of folks do end up on Northwest so the bulk of their experiences (good and bad) are with that carrier. It's difficult to (honestly) be critical of an airline you don't actually fly on a regular basis.

It also depends on your personal criteria. I base my choice of carrier on convenience/frequency in the marketplace, frequent flier program benefits and ease of conducting reservation/purchase transactions.

In think in reality, the majority of frequent travelers do the same regardless of what consumer surveys or performance statistics tell us. So Ned will continue to fly USAir, Kairho Delta and you'll generally find me on Northwest unless there's a really good reason not to on any given itinerary.
I think you're right.

I will continue to fly US Air, because they are by far the most convenient for me, have the most non-stops for me, and are easy to do business with for me. In addition, I seem to get more and more miles with them no matter what I do, and contrary to what some are saying, I generally don't have much of a problem using my miles to upgrade. In the last 4 years, I've only missed getting FC/BC thrice via points or free upgrade, compared to the countless flights I've had it.

Plus, I don't think US Air's lousy domestic service is any worse (Isn't it awful that we compare that way.) than any other domestic airline and better than some. That's in comparison to American, United, Continental, and Alaska, all of which I've flown at least 4 times in the last 2 years. (I'm not including any other airline I've flown, because I haven't experienced them enough in the last 2 years.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
This was my thought as well when I first saw the title of this thread. Why bother ranking them when most of the time they all suck?
I think it's good to rank them so it becomes easy to see and review the stats. It gives you an idea of what you're up against, (maybe some should consider longer layovers for connections) and gives individual airlines impetus to do better, so to get off the embarrassing list.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:55 PM   #7
the dark knight
Travel Professional
Gold Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 45 the dark knight is able to use approved electonic devicesthe dark knight is able to use approved electonic devicesthe dark knight is able to use approved electonic devicesthe dark knight is able to use approved electonic devicesthe dark knight is able to use approved electonic devicesthe dark knight is able to use approved electonic devicesthe dark knight is able to use approved electonic devicesthe dark knight is able to use approved electonic devicesthe dark knight is able to use approved electonic devices

I think Ned and Dean have summed it up pretty well. Plus, I know they fly a whole more(and more recently) than I do, so I would bow to their expertise on this. These rankings are very subjective and open to a lot of interpretation, anyway. We can only hope the airlines get the message to get better.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote