Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Foodies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Foodies Hungry? Got a recipe? Just eat at that fabulous new place? Come on in!

Old 09-23-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
snowfoot

Rep Power: 30 snowfoot is on the taxiwaysnowfoot is on the taxiwaysnowfoot is on the taxiwaysnowfoot is on the taxiway
Default Vegan Restaurant

Hi,

I grew up eating meat and love a good, juicy steak. But recently, I went to a vegan restaurant in Portland, Oregon to celebrate the birthday of a vegetarian friend. You know what? I really liked the food there. I totally did not miss eating meat. The experience has really made me think about my eating habits. So much so that I might even consider skipping meat a few days each week to cleanse my system.

How do fellow omnivores feel about vegan food?
snowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

Good question SF. I love a good non-meat dinner. We often go veggie only at home.

But...at the same time, I love a good steak, or great lamb, or chicken/turkey and definitely duck, lobster/crab/clams, and definitely salmon and other fish.

While I respect vegans decision to eschew any meat, etc., it's just not for me to be the exclusive content of my diet.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:19 PM   #3
pezmanffx
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 167 pezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I need a good jucy burger every so often but for the most part, we have been cutting back big time on meat. Ok, tonight I had a double from Wendy's but I usually have about 3 meatless days a week.
pezmanffx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:09 AM   #4
greenearth
Travel Professional
Gold Poster

Rep Power: 71 greenearth has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesgreenearth has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesgreenearth has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesgreenearth has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesgreenearth has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesgreenearth has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesgreenearth has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesgreenearth has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesgreenearth has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesgreenearth has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesgreenearth has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I have been vegan about half of my life. That's about 26 yrs.
Lots of resources for you. www.vrg.org is one. I would be happy to swap vegan recipes. What was the name of the restaurant? My favorite is in San Francisco called the Millenium.
greenearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
greenearth
Travel Professional
Gold Poster

Rep Power: 71 greenearth has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesgreenearth has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesgreenearth has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesgreenearth has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesgreenearth has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesgreenearth has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesgreenearth has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesgreenearth has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesgreenearth has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesgreenearth has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesgreenearth has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Here is another couple of websites-
http://www.cok.net/lit/recipes/
www.vegsource.com
Old 09-24-2007, 11:52 PM   #6
snowfoot

Rep Power: 30 snowfoot is on the taxiwaysnowfoot is on the taxiwaysnowfoot is on the taxiwaysnowfoot is on the taxiway

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenearth View Post
What was the name of the restaurant? My favorite is in San Francisco called the Millenium.
It's a relatively new restaurant called "Nutshell" in Portland, Oregon. Thanks for the links, by the way. I'll check out some of the recipes and see what I can whip up (I'm not a very good cook). But I will certainly give it a whirl (at the expense of my poor husband).
Old 09-26-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
greenearth
Travel Professional
Gold Poster

http://www.happycow.net/north_americ...and/index.html

Look what I found! Also Pirates Tavern looks like fun!
Old 09-27-2007, 01:30 AM   #8
snowfoot

That's really cool. I know some of those places are totally vegan or vegetarian, but offer decent choices. There's so much to choose from these days - it's really great.

Thanks.