Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Anything goes > Politics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
mtp51
beegus ahoya
Über Poster

Rep Power: 209 mtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default Gingrich: I'm deeply worried

Former Republican congressional leader Newt Gingrich discusses the war on terror at the National Press Club.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS...ml#cnnSTCVideo

No matter what your party, these implications are frightening for the future of our children & grandchildren.
I agree that the US is sadly unprepared. Very disturbing, indeed.

only the mediocre are always at their best
mtp51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
Loonbeam
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 249 Loonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I'm not sure which scares me more, the fact that they are all very valid points, or that I find myself thinking of Newt Gingrich as a man I agree with? (on this topic alone, mind you!)
Loonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:10 AM   #3
rampo
Silver Poster

Gingrich isn't saying anything new. All terrorism experts have been saying for years that at some point in time there is a strong likelihood for a major terrorist event along the lines of a dirty bomb to occur in the US, and American history has proven that when we feel afraid civil liberties are quickly jettisoned. Unfortunately, it sounded as if he thought that the latter wasn't necessarily a bad thing. And he certainly glossed over the fact that the worldwide distaste for the American adventure in Iraq has played a great part in increasing the ranks of wannabe martyrs by tens of thousands.
rampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampo View Post
Gingrich isn't saying anything new. All terrorism experts have been saying for years that at some point in time there is a strong likelihood for a major terrorist event along the lines of a dirty bomb to occur in the US, and American history has proven that when we feel afraid civil liberties are quickly jettisoned. Unfortunately, it sounded as if he thought that the latter wasn't necessarily a bad thing. And he certainly glossed over the fact that the worldwide distaste for the American adventure in Iraq has played a great part in increasing the ranks of wannabe martyrs by tens of thousands.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
Loonbeam
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 249 Loonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I wasn't talking about terrorism, was talking about his points via political campaigns
Loonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #6
rampo
Silver Poster

Sorry. Since the initial topic and video were about Gingrich's comments about terrorism, you can understand my confusion.

His comments about the ridiculously long presidential campaign process aren't particularly fresh. Virtually every political commentator/columnist has already said it, and probably 99% of potential American voters have already thought it. The truth is, if Gingrich was seriously thinking about running for president instead of his silly "Will I? Won't I? Wait until October" dance, he would already be in there swinging with the rest of the bunch.

Last edited by rampo; 09-23-2007 at 09:41 AM.
rampo is offline   Reply With Quote