Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By sea
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By sea The home port for a floating vacation.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:27 AM   #1
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Cool Leave it to the British to truly bring back "class" to the cruise industry.

Leave it to the British to truly bring back "class" to the cruise industry.

According to a report in Travel Weekly, suite passengers on Cunard Line's next ship, the Queen Victoria, will be able to take a private elevator to the ship's Grill-level dining rooms, which will be in a more secluded location than on other Cunard ships The Queen Victoria entering service in December, will have a 132-seat Princess Grill and 142-seat Queens Grill restaurants located on Deck 11. Like the Queen Mary 2, passengers in the upper-level cabin categories (Suites) that receive Grill privileges will have the use of the concierge-staffed Grills Lounge and the Grills Courtyard for outdoor dining and afternoon tea, both located on Deck 11, and the Grills Upper Terrace, which will be located on Deck 12.

So, these area are off limits even to those in the upper level Britannia Staterooms, which will have a private dining area all their own.

What's next, steerage? Will they be chaining off these locations in case of emergency, to make sure the "hoy paloy" don't sully the area?

Give me a break. It's one thing to have cabins with more features and extras, based on how much you're paying for your cruise experience, but completely another, in my opinion, to have "roped off areas" for the rich and famous. If you pay to get on the ship, you ought not be restricted from accessing all areas of the ship; just one person's opinion.

Hell, the truly rich and famous, and those with "upper crust peerage," aren't going to be on this ship anyway. The days of Cunard preeminence are long gone. The rich and famous will most likely be on a private yacht, or at the least a true luxury cruise ship line, such as from Regent, Seabourn or Silversea, not a 2,000 passenger, 90,000 ton cruise ship, with too many "commoners" aboard to count.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

So how does that differ from First Class on a plane?
Can the folks in the back just come forward and try things out?
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:53 AM   #3
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

I would consider the seats on the plane the equivalent of staterooms on a ship.

The thing on the Cunard ship is that in addition to the staterooms their are deck areas, and restaurants exclusive for these people for which the lower classes need not apply.

Normally on a plane, when the lavatories in economy are in use, even the economy people can use the head in first class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdew View Post
So how does that differ from First Class on a plane?
Can the folks in the back just come forward and try things out?

Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 AM   #4
jfrenaye
Lanoisseforp Levart
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 366 jfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I disagree 100% with you here Ned. There is a market of yuppies that have the money, and want the big ship experience. We live in a world of one uppance--like it or not. Phila is probably the queen of that society with Society Hill, Rittenhouse Square, the Main Line, etc. E. Digby Baltzell, a prof from Penn (when he was alive) studied this extensively and wrote several books on the subject.

I think that if someone wants to pay for the privilege, why not offer it to them. Azamara just did it to a lesser extent.

As an aside, one time when I wanted to grow my high end leisure business, I took space in a Class A office space with no computers and very "posh" looking. I marketed it as a travel experience by invitation only. We were not open to the public and by appointment only. I had more people clammoring to get in there because they wanted to belong. It was strange.

Unfortunately, it did not sustain (as Cunard may not) because Annapolis is the cheapest little rich town I know. More people here will want the $299 Bahama vacation, ***** about the price, and then come back and sink $3M on a new sailboat.
jfrenaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:20 AM   #5
jfrenaye
Lanoisseforp Levart
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 366 jfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I have been sent back to Coach class many times to cross my legs and wait for a coach lavatory to open. Again, I disagree, I think that most FAs will discourage if not outright forbid coach urine in a first class loo.
jfrenaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:41 AM   #6
jimtbay
Go outside! Be active!
Silver Poster

Rep Power: 39 jimtbay has closed the door for pushbackjimtbay has closed the door for pushbackjimtbay has closed the door for pushbackjimtbay has closed the door for pushback

John, you are in the wrong industry, you should be selling boats. It is easier to show off a boat rather than say you went on a cruise. LOL

I have seen many people turned away from the FC bathrooms, especially on red eyes. This is on Delta, LAN, Continental and AA. They barely got through the curtain.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:46 AM   #7
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Arrow

Recently (the last year), on US Air, United, and American, I've seen regular use of the FC lavatory by economy passengers, especially during times of food serving. I will add that this was done to the consternation of many in FC, but for me, when there are only 16 FC passengers, and the lavatory isn't in use, why not.

When cruising on Celebrity, we opt for the Concierge Class stateroom or suite. That comes with lots of special things for those rooms alone, many of which are similar to Cunard. What is doesn't come with is eliminating significant portions of the prime deck locations for spectacular views, etc., preventing other passengers from that experience. In my opinion, it's one thing to add to a passenger's experience for a price, and another to do it at the expense of other passengers. That's what I feel Cunard has done, but then of course, that's only my opinion, and no one has to agree with it.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:52 AM   #8
wrp96
Über Poster

Rep Power: 156 wrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I have to say though that this is only an extension of what NCL does with their Garden Villas. The passengers staying in NCL's Garden Villas may not have their own restaurants, but they do have their own private pool area that is only accessible by those people in the Garden Villas.

RCCL has Concierge Lounges that are only accessible by suite passengers and upper level Crown & Anchor members.

Maybe the mainstream lines don't have this to the same extent as Cunard but the idea of blocking of special areas for suite passengers is not exclusively Cunard's area.
wrp96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:56 AM   #9
DFWIC
Travel Professional
Gold Poster

Rep Power: 64 DFWIC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDFWIC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDFWIC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDFWIC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDFWIC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDFWIC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDFWIC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDFWIC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDFWIC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDFWIC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDFWIC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
when there are only 16 FC passengers, and the lavatory isn't in use, why not.
I just experienced this last week - I was in first - waiting for the bathroom -- and just as it was being exited time after time coach passengers got up and beat me to it -- I was not happy -- but I also didn't say anything -- I was hoping the FA would have caught it -- but guess not.

Will teach me to sit in a window and try to be nice and not clog the aisle.
DFWIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:56 AM   #10
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Arrow

I didn't know that. You learn something new at Tripso every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
I have to say though that this is only an extension of what NCL does with their Garden Villas. The passengers staying in NCL's Garden Villas may not have their own restaurants, but they do have their own private pool area that is only accessible by those people in the Garden Villas.

RCCL has Concierge Lounges that are only accessible by suite passengers and upper level Crown & Anchor members.

Maybe the mainstream lines don't have this to the same extent as Cunard but the idea of blocking of special areas for suite passengers is not exclusively Cunard's area.