Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Anything goes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anything goes So, you can't figure out where to put it? Put it here.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
stephen_s
I hate driving
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 164 stephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default New Jersey teen cracks iPhone network lock

A teenager in New Jersey has broken the lock that ties Apple’s iPhone to AT&T’s wireless network, freeing the most hyped cell phone ever for use on the networks of other carriers, including overseas ones.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20424880...5829?GT1=10252

---

I'm feeling ambivalent about this. One the one hand, iPhone should be used with any carrier, but on the other hand, AT&T and Apple had an agreement, so we shouldn't be trying to tamper with it. It's akin to piracy.
stephen_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

The thing is, those modifications void the phone's warranty, plus one slip of the soldering iron and the iPhone goes to Apple Heaven.

At some point someone is going to crack the software code that locks the phone. Then people will unlock the phone in droves, because the hardware will remain untouched, and that will drive the price down.

At this point the only thing the kid's solution is going to do is put fraudulent phones on the market which have no warranty, and sold to unsuspecting consumers, who are going to believe the warranty is good.

At the current price, and with the mediocre voice quality the phone has, in my opinion, no matter how neat and how sleek it is, it holds no interest for me.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:02 AM   #3
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

My son knows the kid who did this. He evidently showed his abilities in school too.
I would have a big problem with anyone tinkering with something that costs that much in the first place. I'm amazed at the number of people who went out and bought them right off the bat.
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:44 AM   #4
jfrenaye
Lanoisseforp Levart
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 366 jfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I did not read the link but the local paper here was talking about the fact that they are not available outside the US and it is the mist popular in demand phone EVER.

The fact that it can be cracked will sprout up a whole industry that will buy the American phones and unlock them and resell them worldwide. Most of the worldwide systems are compatible with Tmobile and ATT (here in the US, Verizon, Sprint are typically not compatible worldwide)

SO this is huge. I don;t see it as driving the price down. If Apple is smart they will get a overseas partner and put them for sale over there as they did here and negate the"need" to modify. That way they can protect their price
jfrenaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:19 AM   #5
jfrenaye
Lanoisseforp Levart
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 366 jfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Funny--I just got a spam about unlocked iPhones for $300
Old 08-25-2007, 10:18 AM   #6
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

Apple has specific contractual obligations with ATT, which have to do with North American and worldwide sales. They can't sell to Europe until the contract says they can. It is rumored that Apple already has its European partner signed up and it will be Vodaphone.

In the meantime, I don't think that iPhones which are significantly physically altered with no warranty will be huge. I predict that in the next few months, someone will unlock the phone strictly via software. That will be huge, not the physical modification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrenaye View Post
I did not read the link but the local paper here was talking about the fact that they are not available outside the US and it is the mist popular in demand phone EVER.

The fact that it can be cracked will sprout up a whole industry that will buy the American phones and unlock them and resell them worldwide. Most of the worldwide systems are compatible with Tmobile and ATT (here in the US, Verizon, Sprint are typically not compatible worldwide)

SO this is huge. I don;t see it as driving the price down. If Apple is smart they will get a overseas partner and put them for sale over there as they did here and negate the"need" to modify. That way they can protect their price

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:17 PM   #7
jfrenaye
Lanoisseforp Levart
Super Duper Über Poster

An iPhone Versus Nokia comparison:
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

Caution, this guy is rude, vulgar, and off the edge. It likely will offend, but I think he is funny.