Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Foodies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Foodies Hungry? Got a recipe? Just eat at that fabulous new place? Come on in!

Old 07-24-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
ARTraveler
Silver Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 0 ARTraveler has closed the door for pushbackARTraveler has closed the door for pushbackARTraveler has closed the door for pushbackARTraveler has closed the door for pushback
Default Corn and Black Bean Salad

Vinagrette:
1 Tbsp whole cumin seeds
1/4 c. white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. Dijon-style mustard
2 tsp. ground pepper (or to taste)
1 tsp. salt (or to taste)
1/2 c. olive oil

Salad:
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans (11 oz. each) whole kernel sweet corn, rinsed and drained
1 hot pepper, seeded and chopped*
12 cherry tomatoes cut in half
3-4 Tbsp. fresh cilantro or flat parsley
3 green onions (green and white parts) chopped (optional)

Toast cumin seeds in skillet over medium heat for about a minute. When you smell them, they're done. Cool, and crush with a mallet on a cutting board, or run through a spice mill.

In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, cumin, pepper and salt. Slowly add olive oil.

Combine beans, corn and pepper in a bowl. Add vinegrette and let marinade in refrigerator overnight. Before serving, bring to room temperature. Add cherry tomatoes, cilantro/parsley and onions at time of serving.

*I buy canned, chopped jalapenos and use about a tablespoon. I also add about two tablespoons of canned chopped green chiles too.

On the olive oil, I use about 1/4 cup and it is plenty. Adjust this to your taste.

Enjoy!
ARTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
deangreenhoe
Travel Professional
Super Über Poster

Rep Power: 427 deangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Just printed out the recipe and made this. Yum!!! I like it.

I'm having chipotle chicken and lime cilantro rice for supper. This will go perfect on the side for a salad/veggie.
deangreenhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

I've made a very similar recipe in the past and it's great. Thanks for posting yours. I would substitute cooked fresh corn or frozen corn for the canned corn. That would add enhanced flavor, and reduce the salt content of the salad. I also triple rinse canned black beans (a real time saver), when I use them instead of dried black beans in recipes.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
deangreenhoe
Travel Professional
Super Über Poster

Rep Power: 427 deangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

It was a wonderful side dish. At the last minute I made some homemade fresh corn tortillas (easier than it may sound if you haven't tried) and scooped up the salad with them, squeezing a bit of fresh lime onto them before gobbling it all up.

This just fits in with my favorite combination of flavors.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
wpbagent
Travel Professional
Gold Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 46 wpbagent is wheels upwpbagent is wheels upwpbagent is wheels upwpbagent is wheels upwpbagent is wheels upwpbagent is wheels upwpbagent is wheels up

okay Dean how do you make your corn tortillas?
My step granny was from Mexico. She used make them from scratch.
Cooked her own corn, used a petate to grind the corn and hand patted them.
One of her son's and a son in law used to have molinos in Mexico where
women would bring their cooked corn to be ground for tamales or tortillas.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
ARTraveler
Silver Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 0 ARTraveler has closed the door for pushbackARTraveler has closed the door for pushbackARTraveler has closed the door for pushbackARTraveler has closed the door for pushback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
I've made a very similar recipe in the past and it's great. Thanks for posting yours. I would substitute cooked fresh corn or frozen corn for the canned corn. That would add enhanced flavor, and reduce the salt content of the salad. I also triple rinse canned black beans (a real time saver), when I use them instead of dried black beans in recipes.
Thanks Ned - that's a very good suggestion on the fresh corn. I'll give that a try next time I make it. I do triple rinse most canned vegetables to reduce the salt, unless I can find a low or salt free version.

When we get to soup weather, I have a good taco soup to post.
ARTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #7
deangreenhoe
Travel Professional
Super Über Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbagent View Post
okay Dean how do you make your corn tortillas?
My step granny was from Mexico. She used make them from scratch.
Cooked her own corn, used a petate to grind the corn and hand patted them.
One of her son's and a son in law used to have molinos in Mexico where
women would bring their cooked corn to be ground for tamales or tortillas.

Well, I can guarantee I'm not harvesting and grinding corn. LOL.

I just buy the masa corn flour at my area Hispanic market like everyone else, mix 'er up in a bowl, smack it down in a tortilla press and fling it onto a screaming hot cast iron griddle until they toast and puff up.

Once you get used to making them yourself, it's nearly impossible to go back to those rubbery, waxy corn tortillas from the supermarket.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:39 AM   #8
wpbagent
Travel Professional
Gold Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 46 wpbagent is wheels upwpbagent is wheels upwpbagent is wheels upwpbagent is wheels upwpbagent is wheels upwpbagent is wheels upwpbagent is wheels up

I can't wait to try all the recipes that have been posted including the one above. My taste buds are almost back to normal. Now all I have to do is get a bit more energy. I have almost none at the moment.
I also have to go get another tortilla press. I packed mine away when I thought we were moving a few months ago.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:58 PM   #9
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Thumbs up

I'll look forward to that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTraveler View Post
Thanks Ned - that's a very good suggestion on the fresh corn. I'll give that a try next time I make it. I do triple rinse most canned vegetables to reduce the salt, unless I can find a low or salt free version.

When we get to soup weather, I have a good taco soup to post.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:32 PM   #10
MStevens
Trusted Member

Rep Power: 28 MStevens rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

This sounds so good, I'm going to have to try this tomorrow, it looks so simple.
MStevens is offline   Reply With Quote