Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By air
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By air Flying somewhere? Talk about it here.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
JustCorbly
Trusted Member
No Avatar

Rep Power: 28 JustCorbly rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding
Default Logan vs. JFK: Which Would You Pick?

I haven't flown to Europe in several years. I'm going to the UK in October. I want a daytime flight out of the East Coast. Probably to LHR or LGW but my itinerary isn't firm yet. (i'd happily avoid Heathrow, especially coming back.)

I fly out of Raleigh-Durham. I've got some credit with JetBlue so the plan is to spend it on a flight to Logan or JFK, spend the night, and fly the next morning.

So, which of those two evils -- Logan or JFK -- would be the least risky, least hassle-ridden choice?

Anyone know if all the daytime flights are into Heathrow?
JustCorbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
jfrenaye
Lanoisseforp Levart
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 366 jfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Logan....

But for a day flight I prefer the Continental one from NEwark
jfrenaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

If it has to be Logan or JFK, then I second John with Logan. You've got a better chance at leaving on time, if you're out of the NY/NJ/PA airspace.

Remember, that unless they change their rules, when you fly back out of the UK you'll only be allowed 1 carry-on, not two (not both a personal item and carry-on like almost everywhere else in the world) and the size is smaller than US carry-ons. For women, this is especially maddening, in my opinion, as if a woman takes a pocket-book on board, that's it, no carry-on, no briefcase, nothing more at all. Personally, I think the UK prohibition is incredibly short sighted and silly.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]

Last edited by Ned; 07-10-2007 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Add second paragraph
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:26 PM   #4
JustCorbly
Trusted Member
No Avatar

Rep Power: 28 JustCorbly rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

Thanks. There's a late afternoon flight out of Raleigh to Logan that would be convenient. I'll also check out that Contentintal from Newark.

Since I'm thinking of spending a lot of time in the southwest, sure wish there were more flights from Bristol.
JustCorbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
weblet
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 161 weblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCorbly View Post
sure wish there were more flights from Bristol.
Just Newark/Bristol, unless you do a connection. I had a client on the Newark/Bristol last night, and three more doing connections thru Amsterdam (from O'Hare and Detroit) tonight. You know, Amsterdam is quite a nice airport to do a connection in.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:17 PM   #6
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
For women, this is especially maddening, in my opinion, as if a woman takes a pocket-book on board, that's it, no carry-on, no briefcase, nothing more at all.
Then you make it work by bringing a small pocketbook and putting it inside the carry-on. I often do this for convenience. When I get to my seat, I quickly pull out the pocketbook that in addition to important papers, wallet, etc also has my book, mp3 player, and even some snacks.
The carry-on with emergency overnight and computer goes into the overhead and the pocketbook stays with me.
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:38 PM   #7
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

Terry, you're right about that, but the problem is the size restriction is actually enforced, unlike what is typical in the US, so you get much less overall room.

I take, at a minimum, my camera equipment, computer, change of clothes, other valuables, and medication in my carry-on. The one carry one means that some of that isn't coming along with me in the cabin. If I'm on a 3-5 day turn around, I normally don't take any checked-in luggage. That's no longer possible for UK travel.

Many times when I've been in Europe, I'll spend two to three extra days on the trip for pleasure, by traveling to London to take in museums and such during the day, as well as concerts and shows in the evening. Now that's out with the carry-on restrictions, because the restriction just makes travel to the UK that much harder. This fall, for example, on my European trip, instead of spending the last couple of days in London, we're spending the extra days in Paris. Until the UK loosens the restrictions to make some sense, I'm only going there when I must.

A UK carry-on can only be 56cm x 45cm x 25cm, or 22" x 17.7" x 9.8".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdew View Post
Then you make it work by bringing a small pocketbook and putting it inside the carry-on. I often do this for convenience. When I get to my seat, I quickly pull out the pocketbook that in addition to important papers, wallet, etc also has my book, mp3 player, and even some snacks.
The carry-on with emergency overnight and computer goes into the overhead and the pocketbook stays with me.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:01 PM   #8
Arizona Road Warrior
Platinum Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 99 Arizona Road Warrior has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesArizona Road Warrior has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesArizona Road Warrior has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesArizona Road Warrior has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesArizona Road Warrior has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesArizona Road Warrior has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesArizona Road Warrior has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesArizona Road Warrior has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesArizona Road Warrior has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesArizona Road Warrior has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesArizona Road Warrior has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCorbly View Post
Thanks. There's a late afternoon flight out of Raleigh to Logan that would be convenient. I'll also check out that Contentintal from Newark.

Since I'm thinking of spending a lot of time in the southwest, sure wish there were more flights from Bristol.
If you live in Raleigh area, you might want to check out starting your trip in Charlotte, NC. There is a direct US Airways flight (# 732) from CLT to LGW...it leaves at 7:50 PM and arrives into LGW at 8:40 AM. This might be an alternative in avoiding the airline traffic congestion in the Northeast especially JFK.
Arizona Road Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:06 AM   #9
BPoland
Supporting Member
Silver Poster

Rep Power: 41 BPoland has closed the door for pushbackBPoland has closed the door for pushbackBPoland has closed the door for pushbackBPoland has closed the door for pushback

If it comes down to BOS or JFK, I vote BOS.
I live in Boston, and hate Logan airport, but I loathe JFK

If you are coming back via the same routing, Customs/Immigration is far easier in BOS than the zoo that is JFK
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote