Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By air
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By air Flying somewhere? Talk about it here.

Old 07-29-2005, 11:40 AM   #1
CDG
Trusted Member
No Avatar

Rep Power: 36 CDG rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

I am curious of peoples' impressions of the best airline(s) for International flights and the reasons. Who has left you with an extremely positive impression and why?
Business Class and Economy?
CDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:55 AM   #2
stephen_s
I hate driving
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 164 stephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesstephen_s has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I haven't flown internationally in a while, but when I did, I liked Singapore Airlines. They were pretty friendly and they used the 747, which was roomy (even in Economy).
stephen_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 02:20 PM   #3
Ekheff
Registered Member
No Avatar

Rep Power: 0 Ekheff rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding
Definitely Singapore Airlines. I recently flew from JFK-FRA (Frankfurt). I ended up riding in economy because the fare was just too good to pass up. Something like $400 round-trip.

They had individual tv monitors in seat with first rate on demand movies, free drinks(something of a rarity these days even on international flights), great food, ice cream for a snack, constant attentive service and the plane was only half full.... I had a whole row of 3 to myself.

The flight attendants were awesome. I higly recommend flying them if you can.
Ekheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:02 PM   #4
HockeyDude
Trusted Member
No Avatar

Rep Power: 36 HockeyDude rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

Qatar was excellent. I haven't flown with the Asian carriers but Qatar from LHR to DOH was fabulous in Biz Class. They fly a 3 class configuration. The Crew are very strong with a strong cabin presence. The food was a mix of Western and Arabic choices and drinks were always refreshed. Spotless cabin. I didn't love the angle of the lie flat seat but I was able to sleep a few hours both ways. I think this is airline that could make a run at Emirates. They need to get their IFE upgraded to VOD though.
HockeyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 08:53 AM   #5
Greta
Travel Professional
Silver Poster
No Avatar

Very best airline is Cathay Pacific.

Next is Singapore Airlines, although their meals from NYC to Frankfurt are not what they used to be. Service is great and friendly.

Some of my clients are telling me that Emirate is great.
Greta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:39 AM   #6
RobertSDF
Trusted Member
No Avatar

Rep Power: 36 RobertSDF rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

In my opinion, it is without a doubt , Singapore.
RobertSDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:24 PM   #7
tvlagt1
Travel Professional
No Avatar

I have clients that fly Emirates every month and rave about it. Business and also economy. Also love the nonstop out of JFK. They also fly Malaysia and like their service as well.
tvlagt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 06:16 PM   #8
smwatk
Travel Professional
No Avatar

Pretty much Asian airlines like Singapore Air, Cathay Pacific, Thai Air, routinely win any survery for best international airline. I haven't in my 20+ years in the industry ever seen an American-based airline come close, which I always find interesting. And sad.
smwatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:32 PM   #9
c7edwards
Registered Member
No Avatar

Rep Power: 0 c7edwards rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

I haven't flown any Asian airline, but Virgin Atlantic's coach class was terrific: Comfortable seat, amazing video/audio entertainment selections, good food, a bag full of travel freebies and excellent and fun cabin service. Air France and Lufthansa are very good, too.
c7edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:39 AM   #10
rampo
Silver Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by smwatk@Aug 7 2005, 07:16 PM
Pretty much Asian airlines like Singapore Air, Cathay Pacific, Thai Air, routinely win any survery for best international airline.*
[snapback]6518[/snapback]
I've flown a few Asian airlines like JAL, Thai and Cathay, and where they win out over American carriers is the service. Even in coach the flight attendants are quite attentive and efficient (I've flown 50-minute flights where beverage service, a box lunch AND an ice cream were managed). And I must admit that I find it very embarrassing that so many American carrier flight attendants who routinely work the US-Japan route cannot be bothered to learn a few helpful phrases for the many Japanese passengers. Too many still insist on the if-they-don't-understand-english-say-it-louder method: "I SAID, CHICKEN OR PASTA!!"
rampo is offline   Reply With Quote