Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By sea
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By sea The home port for a floating vacation.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
DCTravelAgent
Travel Professional
Über Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 137 DCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default An Appropriate Decision

Very interesting. Take a look.

Quote:
NCL found not guilty in Norwegian Dawn case (06/07/2007)
Travel Weekly, by Johanna Jainchill

A
Miami jury found Norwegian Cruise Line not guilty in a case stemming from the April 10, 2005 sailing on the Norwegian Dawn, when a rogue wave hit the ship on its return from the Bahamas to New York, NCL said.

"We are pleased with the jury's thoughtful and reasoned decision," said Colin Veitch, president and CEO of NCL Corp. in a statement. "We have always maintained that this lawsuit existed only in the minds of the plaintiffs' lawyers and this verdict confirms our belief."

The plaintiffs alleged that NCL had intentionally steered into a storm in order to arrive in New York at a certain time to begin filming an episode of "The Apprentice" TV show. It then encountered high seas and a 70-foot rogue wave that caused damage to several cabins and minor injuries to four passengers...
[Travel Weekly requires free registration to read their articles.]

Last edited by Ned; 06-07-2007 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Conform to Tripso quotation standards.
DCTravelAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
ozzy
Travel Professional
Über Poster

Rep Power: 84 ozzy has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesozzy has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesozzy has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesozzy has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesozzy has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesozzy has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesozzy has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesozzy has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesozzy has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesozzy has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesozzy has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I'm glad. That was nothing but greedy lawyers looking for 5 min of fame.
ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
Ships 'N' Trips Travel
Travel Professional
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 72 Ships 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
I'm glad. That was nothing but greedy lawyers looking for 5 min of fame.
they'd forego the fame if they could've gotten their share of a hefty settlement.
Ships 'N' Trips Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #4
jjjenny
Supporting Member
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 77 jjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I am so glad they didn't get anything out of this. I am sick of greedy lawyers and people who will sue for any reason.
jjjenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:16 PM   #5
mercwyn
Travel Professional
Diamond Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 174 mercwyn has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmercwyn has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmercwyn has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmercwyn has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmercwyn has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmercwyn has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmercwyn has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmercwyn has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmercwyn has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmercwyn has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmercwyn has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjenny View Post
I am so glad they didn't get anything out of this. I am sick of greedy lawyers and people who will sue for any reason.
I'm going to have my lawyer sue you for slander!!!

I have to agree wholeheartedly. People seem to think that someone has to be to blame for everything that goes wrong in life. And if you can affix blame then you can affix damages. Sometimes things happen that no one could reasonably foresee and/or prevent and we just have to understand that it was an accident.
mercwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
clarkef
Travel Professional
Gold Poster

Rep Power: 50 clarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devices

Ah yes,

Let us revel in our liberty to critcize attorneys without fear. Because as we all know, criticism of each profession is well tolerated on this board.
clarkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:08 PM   #7
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Exclamation

After reading what happened during the particular cruise in question, I can see how passengers could come to the conclusion that NCL deliberately went into the storm. While I think the jury was correct in their conclusion, I don't think the case was without merit.

I also think that many people in this country are too quick to jump on the bones of the "greedy lawyers."

Yes there are "greedy" people who are attorneys, just like we find in most every profession. There are cases brought without merit. There are attorneys with no scruples. It is my belief, knowing a great many attorneys, that the vast majority of attorneys in this country are very bright, hard working, honorable men and women, who often come to our rescue in times of our troubles. I'm willing to bet that many who would jump on the "bash the attorneys" bandwagon, would be the first to want those same attorneys to be fighting for them, with everything they had, when they're in trouble.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:06 AM   #8
Ships 'N' Trips Travel
Travel Professional
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 72 Ships 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first class

Blame Shakespeare ("First, let's kill all the lawyers..."), he started it.

As a profession, most lawyers are not greedy, limelight seeking turds. But as is typical, you'll hear about the sensationalistic ones and never about the lawyers who are strapped with over $100,000 in student loans yet still do pro bono and/or legal aide work all of the time.

My 17 year old just decided 2 weeks ago that she might want to pursue pre-law in college ... I would've gone pre-law (and law school) if I could have taken only constitutional law classes (I didn't want to bother with tort/contract law, etc.).
Ships 'N' Trips Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:16 AM   #9
jjjenny
Supporting Member
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 77 jjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Okay, I stuck my foot in my mouth. I am so sorry and do not mean to offend anyone. I know and respect several lawyers in my town. I certainly do not like people suing for a reason such as a rogue wave. The cruise line has no control over that.
jjjenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #10
clarkef
Travel Professional
Gold Poster

Rep Power: 50 clarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devices

To the extent possible, I take back my little shot over the cyber-bow.

I must concur with the last several posts. I know some very excellent attorneys, and I know some attorneys whose ethics could use an overhaul.
clarkef is offline   Reply With Quote