Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Anything goes > Politics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2007, 06:10 PM   #1
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Lightbulb Bush and Cheney Disingenuous in Slamming Pelosi

I've been listening to Bush and Cheney publically slam House Speaker Nancy Pelosi about her middle east trip in which she met with Syria's president Assad. Their statements about Pelosi just seem to be "more of the same" from a lawless cowboy administration and completely disingenuous.

"There is nothing funny about the impact her trip to Syria has had," said National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe, who is with Bush in Texas. "On the contrary, these visits have convinced the Assad regime that its actions in support of terrorists have no consequences." Well Mr. Johndroe, it's actually Mr. Bush's lack of seriousness in dealing with Syria which is doing that. Never mind that Johndroe's statement is totally ridiculous condemning Pelosi, if it serves Mr. Bush's political purposes.

By delivering the same message as that of the Bush White House, Pelosi actually reinforced the Bush message to Assad. By having the President's most vocal political opponent, the most powerful Democrat in Congress deliver the same message which Bush has been sending to Damascus, it makes it clear to Assad, that Democrats and Republicans are united behind the President's policies on Syria. Never mind that Pelosi's trip strengthened Bush's hand with Syria, if condemning Pelosi serves Mr. Bush's political purposes.

Members of Congress have been visiting the Middle East and talking with its political leaders, and heads of state throughout the Bush presidency.

Of course, Bush, Cheney and their Elephant cohorts didn't condemn Republican Representatives Frank Wolf of Virginia, Joseph Pitts of Pennsylvania, and Robert Aderholt of Alabama when they went to Damascus last week, and spoke to President Assad and other members of the Assad government. Apparently Rebublicans aren't behaving badly when they talk to Syria. Never mind the truth of the matter, if it serves Mr. Bush's political purposes.

And of course, was there an outcry from Bush, Cheney and their Elephant cohorts when Republican Representative Darrell Issa of California met with the Syrian president the day after Pelosi met with him? Heck no! He didn't behave badly, and he didn't support terrorism by meeting with Assad like Pelosi did. Never mind the truth of the matter, if it serves Mr. Bush's political purposes.

Mr. Bush, Mr. Cheney, and their cohorts have been playing fast and loose with the truth throughout the more than 6 years of their administration. When Mr. Bush campaigned, he said he would bring family values back to the White House. Well, those are some family values; political expediency, and deceit!

Many out there aren't going to like this statement, and haven't liked anything I've said above, but in my opinion, Bill Clinton was a tower of virtue compared to George W. Bush.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]

Last edited by Ned; 04-07-2007 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:33 PM   #2
pezmanffx
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 167 pezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Ned, I just wish you would run for President. I always seem to agree with your views.

Vote for Ned
pezmanffx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:12 PM   #3
clarkef
Travel Professional
Gold Poster

Rep Power: 50 clarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devices

I on the other hand, generally disagree insofar as politics are concerned.

The short response of course is that it is fundamentally different for ordinary members of congress to do something, as opposed to the new Speaker of the House. Her position is analogous to a Head of State and thus there is a legitimacy that attaches to her actions.

Speker Pelosi is now the highest ranking US elected official to dialogue with Syria as a result.
clarkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
jfrenaye
Lanoisseforp Levart
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 366 jfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I think it was a politics play to NOT have her go. It was well known that the WH did not want her there. All the more reson for her to dig in the heels and go anyhow.

Being in her position, she naturally draws attention.

I think that the issue is not so much that she met with Syria, but rather that her meeting really showed the world that there is a huge divide between the legislative and executive branches.

I think that had the WH approved the trip--all would have been fine.

Like it or not, GWB is our president for a few more years (unless he get's killed then it is Cheyney) and I think that this latest tiff does indeed reinforce to the rest of the world how un-united we really are. I think it sent a poor message and to be honest, I think it may open us up for some ramifications--what they are is anyone's guess, but I don;t like the way it all played out.

Not saying who is right or wrong! Just that the game was not played properly.
jfrenaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
Ships 'N' Trips Travel
Travel Professional
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 72 Ships 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first classShips 'N' Trips Travel has just been served a complimentary glass of wine in first class

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrenaye View Post
...(unless he get's killed then it is Cheney)...
that's a guarantee right there that GWB won't die in office
Ships 'N' Trips Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

I pray daily that he outlives Cheney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ships 'N' Trips Travel View Post
that's a guarantee right there that GWB won't die in office

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #7
pezmanffx
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 167 pezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I am building an emergency escape pod in my basement using a leaf blower, an old Maytag dryer and leftover popsicle sticks, just in case this emergency happens. I'll post the plans once it is operational.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:02 PM   #8
NW CTC
Travel Professional
Diamond Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 78 NW CTC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNW CTC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNW CTC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNW CTC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNW CTC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNW CTC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNW CTC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNW CTC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNW CTC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNW CTC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNW CTC has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezmanffx View Post
I am building an emergency escape pod in my basement using a leaf blower, an old Maytag dryer and leftover popsicle sticks, just in case this emergency happens. I'll post the plans once it is operational.
That would be a real public service. Maybe I'll start consuming popsicles in anticipation of need...
NW CTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
deangreenhoe
Travel Professional
Super Über Poster

Rep Power: 427 deangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

...and I have an old, unused washing machine in my basement just in case you decide to build a re-entry pod designed for a water landing.
deangreenhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:37 PM   #10
pezmanffx
Diamond Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangreenhoe View Post
...and I have an old, unused washing machine in my basement just in case you decide to build a re-entry pod designed for a water landing.

Good idea. I think I will have to take you up on that. Hey, does anyone know McGiver's phone number?