Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By land
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By land Renting a car? Staying at a hotel? This forum's for you.

View Poll Results: Are you ready to walk "the walk" by plunking down $50/per person, or more?
Sure, it looks great 5 16.13%
Way too much money, not me 26 83.87%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Question Tribe opens Grand Canyon Skywalk

It's official, the Grand Canyon Skywalk is ready to go. The ceremonial opening has occured, and the public opening is set for March 28th.

The minimum fee to walk to skywalk is $49.95 per person (no family, child, AAA, AARP, or senior citizen discounts available. That essentially $200 for a family of four.

Are you ready to walk "the walk" by plunking down $50/per person, or more?

Quote:
Tribe opens Grand Canyon Skywalk
Former astronauts, Hualapai leaders take ‘magnificent first walk’

March 21, 2007
HUALAPAI INDIAN RESERVATION, Arizona (Associated Press via MSNBC.com) - Walking gingerly across the translucent surface, visitors hear the glass layers creak. Far below, directly underfoot, they see the Colorado River as a pea-green ribbon.

“It felt wonderful; not exactly like floating on air,” said former astronaut Buzz Aldrin, who once traipsed the surface of the moon and on Tuesday became one of the first to stroll onto the Grand Canyon Skywalk, a massive glass-bottom observation deck perched 4,000 feet above the canyon’s floor.

The Hualapai Indian tribe invited Aldrin, fellow former astronaut John Herrington, and others to the unveiling of the horseshoe-shaped deck Tuesday in advance of a public opening planned for March 28...

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]

Last edited by Ned; 03-21-2007 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
Kairho
Senior Ferroequinologist
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 419 Kairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

...Plus the $25 to get on to the reservation in the first place. So, $75 to look down ... not me!
Religion limits civil liberties for imaginary reasons. The surest way to lose many of our cherished civil liberties is to end the separation of church and state and let religious leaders determine the rules. --David Drumm
Kairho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
Annette
Moderatrix
Über Poster

Rep Power: 174 Annette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Forget about the money, I have this thing about heights so there's no way you could PAY me to get me on it!

www.eastontours.com
Annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
jfrenaye
Lanoisseforp Levart
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 366 jfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I'm there. It is a once in a lifetime experience. Not heading there every weekend!
jfrenaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:49 PM   #5
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Question Photos?

What, no photos with of you and Paris with Buzz?

OK, it was a once in a lifetime experience, but inquiring minds want to know why you thought it was so great and would you pay $50 per person for a family to have the experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrenaye View Post
I'm there. It is a once in a lifetime experience. Not heading there every weekend!

Old 03-21-2007, 07:02 PM   #6
jfrenaye
Lanoisseforp Levart
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 366 jfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjfrenaye has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

It was figurative Ned. I did apply for the walk out but was not selected. But if I am out there, I will definately take a walk!

I think they ought to install a basejump there as well. How cool would that be?
jfrenaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #7
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrenaye View Post
It was figurative Ned. I did apply for the walk out but was not selected. But if I am out there, I will definately take a walk!

I think they ought to install a basejump there as well. How cool would that be?
Maybe bunge jumping too?

Old 03-22-2007, 07:05 AM   #8
pezmanffx
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 167 pezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

It may be a once in a lifetime thing but I am still not willing to pay out $50 plus for the experience. It would kind of make me feel used.
pezmanffx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:18 AM   #9
deangreenhoe
Travel Professional
Super Über Poster

Rep Power: 427 deangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesdeangreenhoe has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezmanffx View Post
It may be a once in a lifetime thing but I am still not willing to pay out $50 plus for the experience. It would kind of make me feel used.
Oh, I don't know. I've spent fifty bucks on some pretty stupid things I'd rather not talk about. The way I look at it, that's about the price of cab fare with tip from Manhattan to the Newark airport. I've done that without blinking an eye. I bet the Sky Walk would be a bit more memorable.
deangreenhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:51 AM   #10
the dark knight
Travel Professional
Gold Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 45 the dark knight is able to use approved electonic devicesthe dark knight is able to use approved electonic devicesthe dark knight is able to use approved electonic devicesthe dark knight is able to use approved electonic devicesthe dark knight is able to use approved electonic devicesthe dark knight is able to use approved electonic devicesthe dark knight is able to use approved electonic devicesthe dark knight is able to use approved electonic devicesthe dark knight is able to use approved electonic devices

Hey, it looks nice...but I am not spending that kind of money to be suspended thousands of feet over the Grand Canyon just to look down and realize how little stands between you and a looong fall. I am not fond of heights as you can guess. No, thanks! I will look at the pictures and take your word for it...lol.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote