Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By land
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By land Renting a car? Staying at a hotel? This forum's for you.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:33 PM   #21
CruiseExpert
Travel Professional
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 83 CruiseExpert has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCruiseExpert has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCruiseExpert has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCruiseExpert has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCruiseExpert has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCruiseExpert has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCruiseExpert has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCruiseExpert has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCruiseExpert has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCruiseExpert has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCruiseExpert has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
There are people who grouse when they see someone with a handicapped plate or placard who appears perfectly healthy, but what they don't realize is, those spaces aren't just for people in wheelchairs or crutches.
This is a hot button issue for me. I see alot of able bodied people who have placards for a relative and abuse the priviledge when they are on their own. I actually saw a 6'6" cop in uniform using a HC spot at the supermarket recently. I don't think he had any hidden defect except between his ears.
CruiseExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:02 AM   #22
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

I think that part of the problem is that most people don't understand the importance of these spaces for the disabled, and, for example, why these larger sized spaces are so important for disabled people, well beyond their location. As a society, we do a poor job at publicizing this information to the general public, nor in educating the public via the schools, or through the medium of public service information announcements and articles. We don't even give this subject the time of day in most Driver's Ed classes, nor in the booklet "soon to be new drivers" use to study for their written portion of the driver's exam.

I suspect that most people who illegally park in these spaces, have little conception of how important the use and availability of these spaces are to the disabled.

I think we as thinking adults ought to seek to apply pressure on our public officials, local foundations, newspapers and religious institutions to raise the public's awareness of the serious problem of the illegal and thoughtless use of handicapped parking spaces by able bodied drivers, and by their illegal and thoughtless use of these parking space, that they are causing the disabled significant hardship.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:02 AM   #23
clarkef
Travel Professional
Gold Poster

Rep Power: 50 clarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseExpert View Post
This is a hot button issue for me. I see alot of able bodied people who have placards for a relative and abuse the priviledge when they are on their own. I actually saw a 6'6" cop in uniform using a HC spot at the supermarket recently. I don't think he had any hidden defect except between his ears.
But how do we really know that. How do we know that the apparantly abled bodied looking person doesn't need the HC spot. It is entirely possible that the cop was on disabled and restricted to desk duty.

I am going to go out ona limb without any supporting evidence. There are of course cheater. But I believe that most people use the spots properly.
clarkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:40 AM   #24
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

Clarke, you're a 100% correct. We don't know for sure. All that can be done is if the vehicle doesn't have the correct identification it should be ticketed, and in my opinion, towed. Speculating on every person parking in the spaces, as to whether or not their tags are legitimate is a waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkef View Post
But how do we really know that. How do we know that the apparantly abled bodied looking person doesn't need the HC spot. It is entirely possible that the cop was on disabled and restricted to desk duty.

I am going to go out ona limb without any supporting evidence. There are of course cheater. But I believe that most people use the spots properly.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:50 AM   #25
CruiseExpert
Travel Professional
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 83 CruiseExpert has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCruiseExpert has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCruiseExpert has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCruiseExpert has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCruiseExpert has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCruiseExpert has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCruiseExpert has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCruiseExpert has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCruiseExpert has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCruiseExpert has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesCruiseExpert has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
I am going to go out on a limb without any supporting evidence.
Be careful, are you using a net? Thanks, you make a valid point.
CruiseExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:39 PM   #26
candyharrington
Bronze Poster

Rep Power: 37 candyharrington has closed the door for pushbackcandyharrington has closed the door for pushbackcandyharrington has closed the door for pushback

Well, I blogged about Mr. Stone today. Just couldn't resist.

http://barrierfreetravels.com/serend...king-Woes.html

Candy
candyharrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:38 PM   #27
Gesualdo
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 111 Gesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyharrington View Post
Well, I blogged about Mr. Stone today. Just couldn't resist.

http://barrierfreetravels.com/serend...king-Woes.html

Candy
Hmmm...maybe I could blog about it too. Maybe we could all blog about it and then all the Mr. Stones of the world would see themselves and be very embarrassed. Maybe we could shame them all into compliance by spreading the word through blog. A real grassroots campaign! I love it.
Gesualdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:23 AM   #28
DCTravelAgent
Travel Professional
Über Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 136 DCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesDCTravelAgent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:

You MUST have the handicapped plate OR the hanging placard. Cops are not and can not be expected to make a determination of "need" - they are not physicians.

Likewise, a Cop on "dissability" and restricted to Desk Duty would have (should have) the hanging placard.

There are plenty of people who have these but really should not - here in DC they are only good for 2 years - you have to reassessed by a physician to get a renewal.

My husband had one for a couple of years because he had Peripheral Artery Disease (has since had surgery and no longer needs the placard) - he looked absolutely able-bodied but in reality could not even walk a half block without severe pain. People should really just accept that if someone has one, they actually need it. Very few of us (like a Cop) are capable of making a diagnoses on the spot - on the street, that it.

Last edited by DCTravelAgent; 03-19-2007 at 10:26 AM.
DCTravelAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:36 AM   #29
Kairho
Senior Ferroequinologist
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 419 Kairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Maybe the cop was on an official call.
Religion limits civil liberties for imaginary reasons. The surest way to lose many of our cherished civil liberties is to end the separation of church and state and let religious leaders determine the rules. --David Drumm
Kairho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #30
Dianev
Trusted Member
No Avatar

Rep Power: 31 Dianev rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

Wouldn't his lights have been on if he was on an official call? Just the way we can't tell by looking at someone if they do indeed need the placard, we also can't know what prompted someone to question that need. They may have had someone close to them unable to take advantage of a handicapped spot because it was being used illegally in the past. Sometimes good sense and tact goes out the window when you have strong feelings on a particular subject.
Dianev is offline   Reply With Quote