Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By land
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By land Renting a car? Staying at a hotel? This forum's for you.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:45 PM   #11
Gesualdo
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 111 Gesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianev View Post
Why should he get a do over? He knew he shouldn't park there and just because he got caught he should be allowed to move? Unfortunately, it takes the bank account getting hit for people to do the right thing.
I missed your remark earlier today, but I totally agree with you. Some people just don't get it. I used to drive a school bus back in my undergrad days and my route was to pick up various kids in special ed. programs. I had kids with all kinds of disabilities on my bus. After doing that for a couple of years, I feel really strongly about ADA and taking care of the folks who need a little extra. Too bad the only reason he "did the right thing" is because his hand was forced. But maybe he'll remember that hard lesson next time he thinks it's okay to even temporarily "borrow" a space.
Gesualdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:39 PM   #12
Annette
Moderatrix
Über Poster

Rep Power: 174 Annette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAnnette has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
I always thought the appropriate penalty was not a fine, but would be to put those drivers in leg casts for 30 days, so they had to use a wheel chair and not give them a handicapped placard. Either that or break both their legs.
Oh I love it, I'd like to do something like that too.

When my foot was in a cast I had a handicapped permit. We were in LA for a quick trip, had a rental car, and pulled in to a fast food place for a quick bite. When we came back out to the car there was a sparkly new truck parked RIGHT beside us, there was barely enough room for a person between the 2 vehicles and when you're trying to get in to a car with a cast and crutches you need a little more room than that. To top it off he wasn't actually in a parking spot - he was partially blocking the exit of the lot. As we approached I thought hmmm, I could try and really carefully open the passenger door and attempt to slide in (putting strain on my broken foot).... nah... so I let the door "tap" his nice new truck when I opened it.

The driver and an occupant were actually in the car, I think they'd just gotten their drive-thru order and were munching on it. He was one of those early 20's really macho "I'm the man" types. As soon as there was contact he leaned his head out the window and said "DID YOU JUST HIT MY TRUCK?!" and I said "Yeah, I did". I don't think was expecting that. He said "What the hell did you do that for?" and I said "What the hell are you doing parking illegally and blocking access to a vehicle in a handicapped spot?". Yes, I was in a bad mood, lol.

The one I particularly loved was a huge truck that was parked over 2 handicapped spots and didn't have a permit.

www.eastontours.com
Annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:37 AM   #13
clarkef
Travel Professional
Gold Poster

Rep Power: 50 clarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devices

After reading the man's account, I flatly don't believe him. All parties agreed that he was illegally parked in the handicapped spot. The officer has no obligation to give him an opportunity to move his car. Therefore, she has no incentive to lie and say that she did.

Further, having lived in the Virgin Islands, traffic enforcement is the same as anywhere else in the US, a parking ticket is issued with a pay by date else it can increase. Failure to pay a parking ticket is not a criminal offense. It becomes a registration hold. You are not subject to arrest for failing to pay a parking ticket.

The dumb thing is that the guy has no defense. He admits that he was parked illegally.

The Virgin Islands are very small and parking is tight. When I lived there it was not uncommon to regularly park 1/4 mile or more away from your destination. Parking illegally in a handicapped space is very serious.

Even here in CA, the fine is $300+
clarkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:32 PM   #14
JBM
Former Road Warrior
Gold Poster

Rep Power: 43 JBM is able to use approved electonic devicesJBM is able to use approved electonic devicesJBM is able to use approved electonic devicesJBM is able to use approved electonic devicesJBM is able to use approved electonic devicesJBM is able to use approved electonic devicesJBM is able to use approved electonic devicesJBM is able to use approved electonic devices

I concur about the sanctity of handicapped/disabled parking spaces. As Ned suggests, sometimes it takes a temporary infirmity (his broken back; in my case, knee surgery) to realize how important these are.

There are people who grouse when they see someone with a handicapped plate or placard who appears perfectly healthy, but what they don't realize is, those spaces aren't just for people in wheelchairs or crutches. It may be someone with a heart problem who can walk just fine, just not long distances, and once inside the store heads straight for the electric cart.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #15
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

You're absolutely right about non-apparent medical problems. My father has a handicapped plate due to his heart condition. Parking close to the building he needs to enter is a great help to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
I concur about the sanctity of handicapped/disabled parking spaces. As Ned suggests, sometimes it takes a temporary infirmity (his broken back; in my case, knee surgery) to realize how important these are.

There are people who grouse when they see someone with a handicapped plate or placard who appears perfectly healthy, but what they don't realize is, those spaces aren't just for people in wheelchairs or crutches. It may be someone with a heart problem who can walk just fine, just not long distances, and once inside the store heads straight for the electric cart.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:01 PM   #16
candyharrington
Bronze Poster

Rep Power: 37 candyharrington has closed the door for pushbackcandyharrington has closed the door for pushbackcandyharrington has closed the door for pushback

I'm all for them charging lots of money for fines for people parking in accessible places. They are there for a reason, and I’ve heard every possible reason for folks using them, and the usual one is "I was only going in for a few minutes." Give me a break. Well, I have to say my readers need those spaces and all too often they are used by able-bodied folks who just can't take the time to look around for another space. Accessible parking is so limited on St. John (and I’ve interviewed locals about this) and I'm thrilled that they are charging such high fines and enforcing them. Like somebody said -- you don't get a do-over. If you are truly disabled, you can bring your hang tag with you. Many folks do.

Candy
candyharrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:02 AM   #17
John225
Not Allowed To Be Unique
Über Poster

Rep Power: 115 John225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesJohn225 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

As someone that has a "Permanent" handicapped placard, I have no sympathy for this guy. People parking in the spots with no placard has always been a pet peeve, but now that I have one, and need it, I have gotten almost militant about it.

On the subject of people that don't look like they need it, I certainly don't. I have no wheelchair, walker, cane, etc. I was at the grocery store one day loading my stuff into my truck and this lady walked up and started yelling at me about using someone elses placard to get a better parking space. I let her go, and when she was done, I pulled out the ID card that goes with the placard and showed it to her to prove that it was mine, and very rudely told her that she didn't know me, didn't know why I needed the handicapped spot, and that she needed to mind her own damn business. As I started listing the reasons why I had it, her jaw just dropped, and you could tell that she was realizing what a bi*ch she really was.

As the old saying goes, you can never judge a book by it's cover.
John225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:16 AM   #18
Kairho
Senior Ferroequinologist
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 419 Kairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

But John, you suffer from a concealed illness, Tripsoitis...
Religion limits civil liberties for imaginary reasons. The surest way to lose many of our cherished civil liberties is to end the separation of church and state and let religious leaders determine the rules. --David Drumm

Last edited by Kairho; 03-16-2007 at 08:20 AM.
Kairho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:11 AM   #19
Gesualdo
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 111 Gesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by John225 View Post
As someone that has a "Permanent" handicapped placard, I have no sympathy for this guy. People parking in the spots with no placard has always been a pet peeve, but now that I have one, and need it, I have gotten almost militant about it.

On the subject of people that don't look like they need it, I certainly don't. I have no wheelchair, walker, cane, etc. I was at the grocery store one day loading my stuff into my truck and this lady walked up and started yelling at me about using someone elses placard to get a better parking space. I let her go, and when she was done, I pulled out the ID card that goes with the placard and showed it to her to prove that it was mine, and very rudely told her that she didn't know me, didn't know why I needed the handicapped spot, and that she needed to mind her own damn business. As I started listing the reasons why I had it, her jaw just dropped, and you could tell that she was realizing what a bi*ch she really was.

As the old saying goes, you can never judge a book by it's cover.
No, she probably just couldn't figure out on the spot how to pin it back on you. That somehow, her yelling at you was your fault. Good job. She deserved it. I suspect I do have a coworker who may be abusing a placard that she uses to transport her parents around. But since I don't know her well enough to ask about her health, I'm not saying a word. I've been around enough people who really do need to park there to realize there's no stereotype.<br><br>

Not to mention, although I have pretty serious back problems, I try hard to walk normally for as far as I can. It's too far to be eligible for one of those placards, so I don't have one, of course. But boy, I can sure understand the need for one!
Gesualdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:12 PM   #20
candyharrington
Bronze Poster

Rep Power: 37 candyharrington has closed the door for pushbackcandyharrington has closed the door for pushbackcandyharrington has closed the door for pushback

I also had to say that my dad (who passed away last year) had disabled plates on his car. He was a WWII veteran with a purple heart and some shrapnel wounds in his knees -- he had good days and bad days, but he didn't use a wheelchair.

Anyway, after my dad died I sold his car. It had disabled plates on it, and I told the buyer that I had to go down to the DMV and get other plates. They said they would pay $500 more for the car if i let the plates on. I of course didn't and spent the good part of the day down at the DMV.

But yes, there are lot of people with hidden disabilities who need plates. None of my biz why they need them. I do knwo a lot of full time wheelchair-users however who are pretty militant about it all and they don't think anyone except full time wc-users should have a placard. But of course, I don't agree.

Candy
candyharrington is offline   Reply With Quote