Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By land
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By land Renting a car? Staying at a hotel? This forum's for you.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:06 AM   #1
mtp51
beegus ahoya
Über Poster

Rep Power: 209 mtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default Identity Theft at Hotels

This really hit home as my one experience (hopefully the last) with identity theft happened at an airport hotel. It took 2 1/2 years to clear the mess up. What a nightmare!
http://www.vijaydandapani.com/2007/0...ty_theft_.html

only the mediocre are always at their best
mtp51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I wonder if "folios left in wastebaskets" isn't a bit over the top? The most these are going to show are Name and address. They all say "will be charged to credit card on file." Most names and addresses can be found in a lot of different places.
Am I missing something?
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtp51 View Post
It took 2 1/2 years to clear the mess up. What a nightmare!
We too had just one instance, but it was a long before this problem came to light. My husband's wallet was stolen out of his jacket pocket, while in the office. It's supposed that it was one of the food delivery people rather than a co-worker. Whoever took the wallet, then made use of the information to open a bank acct that was tied to a credit card.
He/she deposited a small amount in the bank acct and then ran up the credit card before abandoning it. When we were notified (through Social Sec) I went to the Social Security office to see what should be done.
I was told "nothing needs to be done" No one can do anything with the number except add to your earnings...
Sure enough - after taxes were filed that year, we got a notice from the IRS saying that we'd failed to report $10 interest rec'd on that bank acct that had been opened to obtain the credit card.
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
mtp51
beegus ahoya
Über Poster

Rep Power: 209 mtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmtp51 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdew View Post
I wonder if "folios left in wastebaskets" isn't a bit over the top? The most these are going to show are Name and address. They all say "will be charged to credit card on file." Most names and addresses can be found in a lot of different places.
Am I missing something?
T,
I think a front desk employee probably sold my cc # to someone. We couldn't prove it but the authorities decided that is probably what happened. Fortunately, we caught the fraudulent charges after 3 days. Good thing - $12,000 in 3 days!!

only the mediocre are always at their best
mtp51 is offline   Reply With Quote