Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Anything goes > Politics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2006, 02:57 AM   #1
clarkef
Travel Professional
Gold Poster

Rep Power: 50 clarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devicesclarkef is able to use approved electonic devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post

Same with the illegal immigrants--legalize them or kick them the heck out
The problem of illegal immigrantion requires a sophisticated solution. Even the most conservative estimates puts the number at over 10 Million people, of which many are families; women and children. Amnesty under Reagan was a complete failure, yet kicking out 10 million people just isn't going to happen.

Illegal immigration is great for the middle and upper class. We get our goods and services for less than we otherwise would. Further, illegals do not compete for professional jobs. Employers love illegal workers because they can be paid less than minimum wage, and have few rights. Also, the supply substantially exceeds demand thus they can be treated very poorly.

Further, illegal immigration makes it harder for poor people to get jobs.Why hire an American when an illegal will do the work for less than minimum wage and can't complain? Imagine, no OSHA complains, no sexual harassment lawsuits, no worker's comp claims. And we wonder why we can't solve the illegal immigration problem. Its partially a matter of will. It is estimated that illegal immigration depresses poor peoples wages by about 10 percent in the local economies.

I submit that if we wanted to, we could substantially solve the illegal immigration issue by making it unattractive for business to hire illegal immigrants.

Last edited by clarkef; 12-07-2006 at 03:01 AM.
clarkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:29 AM   #2
weblet
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 161 weblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkef View Post
I submit that if we wanted to, we could substantially solve the illegal immigration issue by making it unattractive for business to hire illegal immigrants.
But I thought we already did that? Don't employers have to make sure employees are citizens, or hold green cards, work visas? I'm not so naive to think that this is not being circumvented, but... You have suggestions?
Old 12-07-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
trojan
Silver Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 54 trojan has reached our cruising altitude of 30,000 feettrojan has reached our cruising altitude of 30,000 feettrojan has reached our cruising altitude of 30,000 feettrojan has reached our cruising altitude of 30,000 feettrojan has reached our cruising altitude of 30,000 feettrojan has reached our cruising altitude of 30,000 feettrojan has reached our cruising altitude of 30,000 feettrojan has reached our cruising altitude of 30,000 feettrojan has reached our cruising altitude of 30,000 feettrojan has reached our cruising altitude of 30,000 feettrojan has reached our cruising altitude of 30,000 feet

Per usual, the solution envisioned in the pending legislation will stick it to the middle class in SoCal in a major way.

There are countless (literally) professionals who have illegally migrated here. These folks are now working in menial jobs and feel lucky to have them. I have a very good friend who was a banking executive in the Philipines and she is stuck as a cashier at KMart since she can't produce sufficient paperwork for a professional gig.

Once she (and many others) gets her asylum in a couple of years, they will flood the market, thus reducing pay and benefits for many mid-level American managers. I know if I were in a position of hiring for such positions, I would take the extremely motivated foreign nationals over the more complacent, self-entitled, American.

trojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
pezmanffx
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 167 pezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennespezmanffx has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I have a friend who owns a cleaning business. She will hire someone who has all the legal documentation and after a few months they will disappear. They will suddenly appear 2 weeks later looking for a job and they will have all the legal documentation except that their name will be totally different.

I'm just saying that no matter what happens, if there is a will, someone will find a way.
pezmanffx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
bodega
Travel Professional
Über Über Poster
No Avatar

Quote:
We already have laws on the books for this, but it is an issue between State and Federal on inforcing the laws. Federal government tells the State of California that they have to enforce the Federal laws, but does not give the state money to accomplish the job. Almost daily I see a Sheriff Deputy's car at our local fire department and right across the road are 20-40 Mexican men waiting for day work. There is no fear of being arrested and deported. Our local Sheriff's department has said that they do not have the money to handle this issue. Also, almost monthly there is at least one article in our local paper about the ease in getting false doucments and lack of assistance for employers to verify the validity of them.

Last edited by jfrenaye; 12-07-2006 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Put intro in "quotes" to differentiate from post
bodega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:16 PM   #6
REDJIM
Gold Poster

So...

I just got an email informing me that the U.S. Senate had approved legislation that would provide SS benefits to Illegal Aliens.

Do I send this on to my mailing list?

I recently made the decision to retire when I reached 62 years of age. I'm leaving a huge amount(for me)of my earned SS entitlement in the U.S. Treasury because I don't want to work to 66. Will the moneys I forfeit, be used to fund this immoral government decision?

If it does, I'm going to Cabela's and buying myself a few long guns and revolvers!
Old 12-08-2006, 07:38 AM   #7
weblet
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 161 weblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesweblet has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
I just got an email informing me that the U.S. Senate had approved legislation that would provide SS benefits to Illegal Aliens.
Can you post that?
Old 12-08-2006, 08:29 AM   #8
missalf
Silver Poster

Rep Power: 37 missalf rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDJIM View Post
So...

I got that same email, where you were supposed to add your name to the list and when it reached I think 1000 to send it on to the White House. I didn't do it because my friends already get enough spam and I wasn't sure it was genuine.

Yes, if anyone has definitive info on this, and if there IS somewhere we can effectively complain about it via email or online petitions, etc, please share.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:37 AM   #9
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I think this is what you're talking about.

Take a look at the Snopes.com (Urban Legends) article here:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/immig...alsecurity.asp

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:39 AM   #10
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by missalf View Post
I got that same email, where you were supposed to add your name to the list and when it reached I think 1000 to send it on to the White House. I didn't do it because my friends already get enough spam and I wasn't sure it was genuine.

Yes, if anyone has definitive info on this, and if there IS somewhere we can effectively complain about it via email or online petitions, etc, please share.
Here's the Snope's take on the petition:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/immigration/petition.asp

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote