Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot topics > My trip > I'm Back, My Trip Review
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I'm Back, My Trip Review Back from your trip? This is your place to tell us about your trip, and give us your review of the trip, transportation, hotels, restaurants, tours, sights, and anything else you want to tell members to help them in the future.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 294 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default 2014-02 Iceland

Hi everyone, I'm just back from a week in Iceland and had to share it here, because it was so terrific. Everyone thought we were crazy to be going to Iceland in the middle of winter, but temperatures there were higher than they were here in NJ for most of the winter. There were times while out and about that were pretty cold because of the wind, but we were dressed for it and it wasn't really bad. My goal was to see the Northern Lights. We were not disappointed - you may even have read the reports about the lights that showed up on one of the nights we were out looking for them.
If anyone is going, I would strongly recommend two tour companies. We went on the Golden Circle tour in a small van (16-18 people) with Iceland Horizons and they were great. The trip to see the lights was with Timetours. This too was a small group - and the best part is that the tour guide uses his camera to take pictures of the lights and of the people on the tour with the lights. My own camera wasn't up to the job, but I've included a few of those he took in my collection, as he shares them as part of the tour. I'm thinking now that it might be fun to see how different the country looks in the summer. Here are some pictures from the trip.
http://www.refreshyourmemories-photo...d4Bx/i-ms76T86
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 461 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdew View Post
Hi everyone, I'm just back from a week in Iceland and had to share it here, because it was so terrific.
Welcome back. Happy you had such a great time. We were in Iceland over the summer and loved it. We plan to go back soon.

Quote:
Everyone thought we were crazy to be going to Iceland in the middle of winter, but temperatures there were higher than they were here in NJ for most of the winter. There were times while out and about that were pretty cold because of the wind, but we were dressed for it and it wasn't really bad. My goal was to see the Northern Lights. We were not disappointed - you may even have read the reports about the lights that showed up on one of the nights we were out looking for them.
Mrs. N and I have that goal too. We were set to go last month, but had to postpone until next winter due to Mrs. N.'s need for major surgery. Hopefully, it will turn out okay. We'll know by the end of March. So far, so good.

Quote:
If anyone is going, I would strongly recommend two tour companies. We went on the Golden Circle tour in a small van (16-18 people) with Iceland Horizons and they were great.
We concur. We used them too and they were excellent.

Quote:
The trip to see the lights was with Timetours. This too was a small group - and the best part is that the tour guide uses his camera to take pictures of the lights and of the people on the tour with the lights. My own camera wasn't up to the job, but I've included a few of those he took in my collection, as he shares them as part of the tour. I'm thinking now that it might be fun to see how different the country looks in the summer. Here are some pictures from the trip.
This is great to know. I'll check them out for next winter. Thanks very much.

Wonderful images Terry. Thanks so much for sharing.

Your post has really helped us for our next return to Iceland.

I wish there was a lot more activity than we've seen here. It's a shame so many got so angry they pulled out. I understand, but then again, I don't understand.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 294 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Thanks Ned. Hope Mrs. N's surgery is an easy one and recovery is fast.

It's funny, even though the temperatures have been colder here all winter than they were in Iceland - there were times - like out at Gullfoss frozen waterfalls that were really icy feeling, in spite of our warm clothing. My friends from TX and FL probably thought it was even colder.

We used another smaller company for the South Coast tour, but they were just ok - not anything special.

You wouldn't need it, but our Timetours guy (Ronny) was able to adjust many of the cameras so that they got some good pictures.

It's really a special place as long as the weather cooperates. We had sunshine and no rain the entire time and I think that influenced my perception of the country.
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 461 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Thumbs up

Thanks.

I'm not surprised that you encountered the temperatures as described. It's not well known unless you've studied the climate and geography of Iceland, but the Gulf Stream, which warms the east coast of the US and Canada, makes a turn toward Europe as it passes Newfoundland, and then, having under the name, North Atlantic Drift, heads directly for the southeast coast of Iceland, helping to keep the island nation much warmer than other countries at its latitude.

The problem of climate, if you can call it that, for Iceland is that from September through April, the country gets from 12-14 days of rain with more than 1mm of measured precipitation each month, and it's cloudy many other days each of those months as well.

Mrs. N. and I agree with you that Iceland's a special place. We look forward to our return late this year.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote